1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Detachment - essential in today's world?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ShrutiB, Jul 29, 2012.

1. ShrutiB

ShrutiB Silver IL'ite

Thank you all so much for your support and feedback. Thanks IL for appreciating my thought. This is a great morale booster for me.

2. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Dear Shruti, A very thought provoking blog. It is very true that in todays' life, we come across mostly with such kind of people whom we have to bear with. And it is also true that detachment cannot be achieved that easily. Thank you for the nice suggestions and congrats for winning the prize. You truly deserve this. Regards

3. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Loved it! If we want to become a balanced person, 'detachment' helps a lot in being balanced.

You have explained the great lesson in brief. It would surely help so many. Thanks. :)

Regards,
    Anuradha

4. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

I do not have any access to the private messages. Could you please write your message on onlydestination@gmail.com instead?

5. ShrutiB

ShrutiB Silver IL'ite

Thanks Maalti!!!:)

6. MeghanaT

MeghanaT Bronze IL'ite

While i come across such people[With some colleagues,Even today till this hour at office], generally i used to check myself and degrade of being-why i am like this.

Really i am not expecting anything even from management, but my colleagues, feeling jealous of my clothing, work, life-style and started commenting by all means. While recieving comments from many, i am checking myself and degrading.

Shruti, after reading this blog. Hammayya, now i feel relief and want to practise this dettachment and deaf ear.

Thanks alot. I read nice thing at appropriate time

7. arundhatipaul

arundhatipaul New IL'ite

Shruthi, I am really impressed by your post..its really an important topic in our life...
    I like the 2nd way of DETACHMENT but when thinking about its consequence :(

I wish GOD appears before me and give me that power.. :)

8. sindhukrishnan

sindhukrishnan New IL'ite

Detachment in The Bhagavad Gita
    "A person who has given up all desires for sense gratification, who lives free from desires, who has given up all sense of proprietorship and is devoid of false ego—he alone can attain real peace. Bhagavad Gita 2:71

"Therefore, without being attached to the fruits of activities, one should act as a matter of duty, for by working without attachment one attains the Supreme." Bhagavad Gita 3:19

"If you cannot take to this practice, then engage yourself in the cultivation of knowledge. Better than knowledge, however, is meditation, and better than meditation is renunciation of the fruits of action, for by such renunciation one can attain peace of mind." Bhagavad Gita 12:12

Source The Bhagavad Gita with Commentaries of Ramanuja, Madhva, Shankara and Others.
    As a human being it is difficult to be detached from people, environment, and situation around us. I want to be loved and cared, feel deeply and no matter how hard I may try to detach I’m attached to everything around us. What about the theory of detachment? Is there any truth to the power of detachment? How can we practice detachment in all walks of life? Now we can react we have choice as to when to react and when to ignore it. Reaction is an outburst of our emotion, so then there are negative emotion and positive emotions. I may get appreciated at work or in-laws family or friends there I show my attachment. When its other way around I’m hurt or sad the emotions I have are anger, sad, depression and there I practice detachment. Its individual perspective, I may be hurt by someone for maybe 10 minutes but someone might react to the same situation differently .He or she may be pondering on the same situation for one month, 1 year or 10 years .Think from others perspective. Our emotions how real it is? Emotions are just an interpretation of the reality we face so should we strive for objectivity. Practicing detachment from negative emotions can bring peace and tranquility in life. We can say best way is to detach ourselves from expectation from relationships, family friends etc. Then as human being we expect certain things in life good family, job, friends etc… Then where we can practice detachment? I would say I as human being we can be open to positive and constructive feedback / criticism and use it to make ourselves better and detach ourselves from negative emotions which can just bring us down.

9. ShrutiB

ShrutiB Silver IL'ite

Thank you for providing the precious bhagvad gita quotes and your views too.

10. ShrutiB

ShrutiB Silver IL'ite

Meghana, I know how work place can be really stressful, not so much for the job itself but the work environment that is your colleagues, seniors, juniors, boss etc. Oh hey, even the attendants/peons.

Well, all the best. start practising soon!! live a healthy and peaceful life!