1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Interest in Behavior Analysis

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sojourner, May 18, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

In a recent blog entry, I wrote

"I have written about my interest in the approach to psychology pioneered by a scientist called B.F.Skinner. I though about doing a PhD in this but chickened out at the last minute."

In present blog entry, I would like to present more details on this.

That approach to psychology is now called Behavior Analysis. (This name may or may not be apt but that's what it is.)

Just about every decision I have made in my life has been based on sound practical considerations. Considering Behavior Analysis as a career (i.e., falling head over heels in love with the field) is the only exception.

One would think that such a deep interest would tide one through difficult times. In fact, it could work the other way also. Any disappointment (inevitable in any endeavor) may be intolerable in something one picked out of interest (and not to pay bills).

The following are the reasons why I did not make the final plunge, having come close to it:

1. I was not sure of my skill level, i.e., my ability in this field. I have not described the field. It is not what one would expect based on a "folk/common sense understanding". (Much of what passes for psychology is folk stuff.)

2. The field was not thriving. Nor is it today. It would have put me in conflict with the majority of the people in psychology. I was not sure that I could handle it.

3. I would make less money and the job prospects would be hard. I was about 30 when I was facing this decision and decided against it.

Looking back at it 30 years later, do I regret the decision? Not really.

2. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Sojourner,

> It would have put me in conflict with the majority of the people in psychology.

> I would make less money

What do you mean by the above?

:)

3. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

I am glad that you asked. (A very perceptive question.) :)

In the U.S., just about every college has a department of psychology and in just about every one of them, the dominant approach is folk psychology. If I had gotten teaching job after a PhD, it would have put me in a minority (except in a handful of places). (This is assuming that I was fortunate enough to get a teaching job.) I would have found it impossible to keep my mouth shut, just to get along with my fellow professors (since I would have chosen the field to make a difference in the world and not merely to make a living).

Let me make this point via an analogy. Let's say that each college in the world has a department of astrology. I come to know about astronomy, am excited by it, and am considering doing a PhD in it. After a PhD, I have to sell myself to the astrologers (for whom I have no respect) to get a job in a university. Assuming I get a job, I have to fight them on a daily basis -- for students, courses, research money, lab space, etc. Since I am lover and not a fighter, I didn't have the stomach for any of these. And yes, the difference between folk psychology and behavior analysis is as stark as that between astrology and astronomy.

It means I would be very dependent on coupons for pizza :)

4. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

I am back from my vacation. I have several blog entries to post. At the same time, I am rather disillusioned by how little impact I am having, especially with my more serious blog entries.

5. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

I am too tired to post a new blog entry.

Here is a joke though:

“I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.”
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And here is a picture after my son's graduation:

[​IMG]

The handsome dude in the right is, of course, me :) I am not sure how long I will keep this image here.

6. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Good to see you sojourner.

Your dw looks pretty...:thumbsup and your ds looks brilliant like you !!!!!!!!!

Any mongolians at the graduation ceremony ????!!!!!!!!!
    Any prizes handed over this time to dear father ???????
    Any dressing suggestions to dear son from your end through your facial expressions???!!!!!!!!
    Any bellcaptain at your service this time when you stayed there ???????!!!!!!!!!

...asking you all this to prompt you to come off your laziness to write a new blog ....ok !!!!!!!

7. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Thanks Sunitha. I will write more blog entries soon.

We were the only Mongolians. We had such bad seats that son and I could not see each other. He said that he was so worried about tripping on his robe to think about anything else, when his name was called.

We did see uniformed doormen outside NYC apartments -- this reminded me of the bell captain incident.

8. tweetyme

tweetyme New IL'ite

Hi Sojourner,

I bumped into ur blog and found it interesting.I am considering a Phd in psychology in USA and thought would ask few questions.I tried to send a message but couldn't. Can you please share ur mail ID, so that I can get in touch with you? Thanks!

9. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Hi!

Indus Ladies does not allow people exchanging contact information unless they pay for this service.

Can you ask whatever questions you have right here?