1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Selflessness – a virtue?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 24, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

2. Radhikarao

Radhikarao New IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    You reminded me of my mom.She was also a good artist(pencil -sketching)before her marriage.After marriage she was working,and was always busy taking care of me or arranging everything for the relatives who came.My house was always like a must stop for all relatives ,and inspite of her being a working mother...she was always playing host to someone or the other.Today she is retired,i want her to try to continue her hobby ,but her health is not supportive.I keep thinking about what should i do to keep her take time to herself atleast now.Iam visting India soon and planning to have a talk with her about it.
    Your writeup made me more strong thank you!

3. satchitananda

Thanks so much Rahdika. I am glad to hear that you are thinking about how to get your mom back to her hobbies. How old is she. It is very important for all of us to start getting involved in some hobby or the other, else we are going to end up being lonely and misrable in our old age when we have a lot of time and are left our own devices.

4. SujiR

SujiR New IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    That was a warm and thought provoking narration.Please let me first say that you are a good son to a noble mother.
    There are couple of things in your write-up,that had me thinking.
    1.I agree with you that,though your mother was a selfless person,and the family benefited from that virtue,it was not so for her after the loss of her partner.
    Could her dementia been delayed some more had she chased some dreams of hers besides devoting herself to the family?
    Can we learn something,besides the virtue from that great mother of yours?
    2.We can't rewind the timeline of life,and live in retrospection as you so wisely stated,but we all can learn something from your introspection about your mother.
    I for one,have learnt that while mothers are still in our lives,we have to cherish them so that when they are gone from our lives,we hold no regret.
    I wish your ma a safe life and may she always have the support and love of her family.

Thank you once again Satchi,for causing the reawakening in me.

Suji :)

5. satchitananda

Welcome to my blog Suji and thank you for your very nice feedback. I am glad that I was able to get my message across :thumbsup.

Only one little correction, you got my gender mixed up :)