1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Putting Pressure on Children for Studying

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Moumita1, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

As a parent, I am always caught in this eternal debate, to put pressure in my child or not to study. I find myself often comparing my own childhood with that of my child’s, forever putting one against another, and trying to think if what happened to me should happen to her or not. Is that what all mothers do? Are we always judging our children by what had happened with us in our childhood, and if so is that really fair?

I had a very simple childhood, so far as education is concerned. Every evening we had to study. However the onus of completing homework (these days schools call it assignments) was always on me. My parents were only interested in seeing me study. All that changed somewhere before my board exams, when suddenly I was asked to compete and get high scores, and simply seeing me study did not work for my parents. But till that happened, it was sheer bliss for me. So I developed this habit of dreaming, and letting my mind wonder when I used to study in my childhood.

But my daughter has a totally different environment altogether. She has this extremely engaging and competitive environment to live, where academics is all about muscle flexing, some by children, mostly by their parents. I had a first taste of this when couple of years back, a very competitive mom of my daughter’s classmate walked up to me and wanted to know her rank and her exam results. I was taken aback by the query, and in later years had found that for a whole lot of parents, this question does not mean breach of etiquette at all. More important than how your child performs, is the fact how good or bad did your child’s classmates perform, much to my amusement and horror.

As a mother I do understand a parent’s anxiety regarding her child’s future, but to turn it into another child’s (or the parents’, for that matter) nightmare is something I guess I didn’t appreciate. Since then I have decided to stop putting pressure on my child for her performance, and have spent days telling her that results don’t matter but hard work does. But what amazes me is my child’s seemingly unperturbed nature in all this. With supreme confidence, she tells me to relax and not worry, and goes about to play with her friends. And when she finally studies, it’s with that same sense of calmness, with which she goes to do well in class too. And that leaves me perplexed, should we let our children be, because they can take care of things, or force our ways on them, because our parents had said so?

2. senzzation

senzzation New IL'ite

I have a toddler & sometimes I feel that from the very beginning we put too much pressure on kids ... when will they walk, why don't they speak, say thank you, say bye etc. and in this time I have understood that kids learn what they will in their own good time & their's no need for parents to worry unnecessarily. Somehow, they are better un-tutored than tutored ... that's when the trouble begins.

3. rohini79

rohini79 Senior IL'ite

hi moumita,
    actually the pressure is equal on parents as well ....kids are busy and parents running behind them so he/she should do well in career but no matter how tiresome our schedule we should try and give 5 minutes to embrace them with a caring hand which they need the most....

4. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Rohini,

Yes, I agree with you, that parents are too under lots of pressure :drowning. But as adults we are supposed to keep our children free from stress, and not pass down our very own anxieties on their little shoulders. At least thats how I see my parental responsibilities :)

5. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Debateable topic Moumita! The recent generation is not like us. They are very well planned and they do not want anyone to cross their way!! Be it parents and whom ever!! But as parents we are pressurised and worried about our children. We want them to shine and lead a peaceful life in future. But one thing for sure...we cannot not get things done by forcing!!! :thumbsup

6. anjali10

anjali10 New IL'ite

We should not force them into studying. We should let them know that education is important for them to come up in lives.
    My toddler son does not want to learn from us, he figures it out by himself.

7. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Malar,

Ask me!! I have a extremely headstrong child, who just cannot be forced into anything she doesn't want to do :roll:. That's where the internal debate stems from. :)

As for the debate, yes please, let's discuss. I am all for it. :thumbsup

8. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

No other alternative. We are adivising our children only for their future and for their good to be in school, college which will develop their career more.

I used to give good advise to my daughter. she too understand and will reply in a good manner and will
    take it in a positive way.

Their future they have to decide in which field they
    can shine??? throw the ball on their court itself
    Result will be a fruitful one.

Thought provoking article