1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

The Cycle of Motivation and Demotivation

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by shivachoubey, Aug 11, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Its very easy to be sad and very difficult to be happy. Its very easy to think "I am ugly, I am fat, I will never reduce, nothing ever works for me, why is it me who is fat". Its extremely difficult to get up every single day and say to yourself that "I am losing weight" even when the weighing scale shows no downward trend.

One driving force behind weight loss is motivation. If there is lack of motivation no one can make you diet and exercise. Its motivation that keeps us on our toes.

During weight loss there will be days when you will be high, you will feel at the top of this world and could conquer anything AND sadly there will be days when you will be down in dirt, eating like a pig, thinking nothing will ever work for you and you will never reduce.

When I was 78 kgs everything came to a halt. The weight stopped moving and in fact it started showing a slight upward trend, I was devastated. First time in my life I was so serious about weight loss and I was failing miserably at it. I was depressed, my husband at that time told me "Look how much you have lost till now, so its not a complete failure, give it time and you will loose more". This gave me hope and I started again. Then at 74 kgs again everything came to a halt, I was losing hope and motivation to loose weight further, my sister told me "Shiva you are pushing yourself too much, its ok weight will come down, stop pushing yourself", this made me calm a little and again after few days I started back on my journey to weight loss.

The point is that this is going to be a cycle. Few days you will be high and few days you will be low and then you will be back to being high.

The trick is not to give up completely, you will loose the war if you go back to your old eating habits and go back to being where you started. As long as you are starting all over again you are doing just fine.

Now when I am depressed and lose motivation I automatically do few things to get myself back on track. Initially when I was not aware of this cycle I used try out things to get me back on track, these worked all the time.

1. You tube Videos - Yes, sound silly but works. They have some amazing before and after videos where you see people larger than you becoming much thinner than what you are. It inspire me every time. When they can do it so can I.

2. Your before and after pics- If you have lost few kgs then these are real motivation boosters.

3. Reading health articles - I just Google them up and its always nice to read them. They are informative and they bring back the desire to lose weight.

These are few things that get me back on track when I am down, so if you see such a cycle coming up in your life figure out things that will boost your motivation level.

How to keep yourself motivated

1. Realistic upcoming event goals - If you have a function to attend in a month's time don't push yourself to lose 5 kgs, tell yourself I will lose 2 kgs. 2 kgs loss will show on your face for sure and so you will get compliments.

2 kgs loss is very achievable in one month. When you achieve such small targets your confidence level increases and you tend to work more towards your target weight. If targets are unrealistic you are bound to fail and be depressed.

Also always imagine the compliments that you will get when people will see you in your super slim avatar. It won't happen in a day but will surely happen in one year's time so motivate yourself by visualizing that scene.

2. Keep a one size smaller pair of clothes - Just keep a set which is one size smaller and NOT 3 - 4 size smaller. Like I got a pair of jeans which were one size smaller and every month I would try them. Its actually is a great booster when you see yourself fitting into smaller clothes. If you get a really small size it will demotivate you so get just 1 size smaller.

3. Food - If you have a craving for certain high calorie food you can make small targets so that you can enjoy the food guilt free. To say I will lose 5 kgs and will have a piece of cake is deprivation. Best way is to say let me lose 1 kgs and then I will enjoy my cake.

Motivation is the key to weight loss and you will have to figure out a way to motivate yourself because once this is lost everything associated to weight loss is lost.

One thing that I always follow is to get up in morning and say to myself "Wow I am losing weight". I say it even when there is no change on the weighing machine. This is a visualizing technique but actually its just telling your sub conscious mind to work towards the target. Its not going to cost you a penny so trying this will not hurt.

Remember

The optimist fell 12 stories
    And at each window bar
    He yelled to his frightened friends below
    I am alright so far

So be optimistic. You are not dying in a miserable condition or are in prison, you are just working towards weight loss, that is all. Your life is just fine and weight loss will happen. It will happen slowly but surely so stop being demotivated and stop pushing and punishing yourself.

Tell you what its possible all you have to do is believe in it being possible and be patient. The whole point of life is to run after it, chase it, dare it, challenge it, defeat it, conquer it, the moment the chase ends so does life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

I love this blog shiva. Its just too inspiring :).
    The jeans thing is something that I liked as it was true in my own experience. I brought a Jeans without trying and ended up 2 size lesser than mine :-( When I lost 10 kgs I tried this Jean and wow I fitted.That gave me more motivation to hit the last 3 kgs!! You are rocking Shiva.

3. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Your post has targeted a constant phase I am at! :D
    Thanks for the tips. I liked the ideas to motivate you have given, surprisingly I never gave a thought that I too get motivated by reading the health articles and exercising techniques. Though I dont do all of them, I atleast stay focused.

Thanks for the nice post!

4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Excellent writeup my dear girl !!!!!!:cheers

Better you change the name of your blog to

[​IMG]

Thanks for sharing your photos and you looooook GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!

Hearty wishes from all those who look forward to read your inspiring blog !!!!!!!!!!:cheers

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shiva

I also agree with Sunitha. Excellent post. Those who want to reduce will get some motivation after reading your blog. You really an example to everyone.

For me no problem I dont put on much weight. I have always been thin , had put on weight after retirement, sitting at home and eating. But that was ok. But now after my grandchildren came lost weight.

I know this you have written for all the youngsters. Isnt it?

love
    viji

6. Ranganayaki

Ranganayaki New IL'ite

Shiva, way to go! You're a role model to those out there looking for the practical way to achieve a great result! you look super in your capris! :)

7. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Oh gosh , Shiva ..this is the best of your blogs.Yes, I mean it ,as it is a class apart from your other blogs.(Oops not that your other blogs were less engrossing but this one takes the trophy )

One prominent feature that mesmerizes me about your blogs is not the information you post ( obviously there is loads on the net if one were to search ) but the way you present it.You make everything sound so motivating and encouraging that if I someone were to read your blogs from deathbed, they would spring into life and leap to the gym.That is the kind of effect your writing has on the masses.Seriously I think you should consolidate your blogs and publish as a book.

"The whole point of life is to run after it, chase it, dare it, challenge it, defeat it, conquer it, the moment the chase ends so does life". What can I say about this ? If one is not motivated by reading your post then perhaps nothing is ever gonna motivate.

8. vijianand

vijianand Senior IL'ite

Shiva,

This post of yours is awesome!!!!!!!!!! Though we all are aware that wt. loss takes some time, most of us don't have the patience, and I am one such person. Oh!! I get bogged down badly when I find the sacle not moving.

The last message , " chase it, challenge it...." is the super weight loss mantra for each and every one.

You are just amazing!!!!!!

Regards,
    Viji

9. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

:thumbsup:thumbsup.Shiva.Iam amazed.Please collect all your blogs/articles/receipes and publish a book soon.

10. supreep

supreep Gold IL'ite

Hey Shiva,

This was a very nice article to read ....
    and u r looking terrific in ur recent pics ... good going gal :)