1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

my own curd rice

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by prijan, Jul 9, 2009.

1. prijan

prijan Senior IL'ite

dear all,
    iam a pure vegetarian.we do travel a lot and has tasted the best of vegetarian food but at the endof the day,nothing interests me like a plate of curd rice.infact iam a great fan of this simple dish that even if someone asks me to takethree times the same thing,i would not mind.the fondmemories of curd rice and mavadu inschool box to my patti feeding me curdrice with little kuzhambu and mavadu,its heaven,its heaven.even now,after having seen and eaten the best of veg culinary delights and the other items which i make,i would long for curd rice.my friend used to make fun during my college daysabut "muttalukku moonu velayum mor sadham":)i would say to her that iam pretty happy to remain one and eat thayirsadham rather than deny and suffer with other dishes.the greatest advantage i posess during travelling in any part of india is that there is no problem in getting the simple dish of rice and curd.with 42 degrees in my place,thayirsadham is now a welcome dish.curdrice,sprinkled with small onion and cucumber peices and mavadu....its gods own dish thats why he has madeit the tastiest.i dont bother even if iam accused ofbeing a thayirsada goshti or what a big thing...you will join me very soon in my team....for me thayirsadam is associated with my childhood memories of a hot tn village and a gala time with cousins and after hours of play, patti would make us sitin :)a semicircle and give us this heavenly combination.would i get this back??mom used to feed me in the terrace with thayirsadam:bowdown:) in a moon lit night.i still remember mommy telling me the story of kodi katha kumaran and chittor rani padmini stories which i listened with excitement..those childhood days...so how many of you are like me??

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Prijan,

First to make the boni,

Me too join your gang of Thayirsadam goshti with my two kids.

For any meal to finish and have a satisfied feeling curd rice is needed. In our house curd forms the side dish for anything from uppuma, chapathi, dosa, idli, rice bhath etc. Can't imagine without curd..

3. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi I too one among those groups that relish Thayir Saadham. There is no compromise on that. If there is left over plain rice after lunch or after dinner, I prepare Thayir Saadham and do the garnishing (musturd, finely chopped green chillies and ginger with curry leaves and little salt) and keep it in the fridge, so it will have its own nice flavour and little tangy which I relish any time of the day........... God thanks for giving us this..........

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

I don't knwo why,but somehow I don't like thayirsadam...may be I havent had the delicious one yet.All I had is from foodcourts and hotels.

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Prijan

Count me too. I like thayir chadam with mavadu or avakkai or lime pickle. It seems they say because of eating thayir chadam only people are intelligent.

My athai also used to make all of us sit when we were young and give us food in our hands. You brought back memories of those days.

love
    viji

6. MrsBoopesh

MrsBoopesh New IL'ite

hi...

i am one of you too :) i love thayir sadham to the core... i hate the days when i have to go without curd rice.....

i love to have it with small onions and pickle...and one of my favourite lunch during my school and college days was this ultimate dish :)

7. ahilaiyer

ahilaiyer Junior IL'ite

i too in your group. i love curd rice.......
    i too agree

8. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear Prijan

Count me also in this THAYIR SADAM list, my meal wont get complete without THAYIR SADAM, OMG sometimes i feel, my stomach is paining if i dont get thayir sadam, as you said even if i go to 5 star hotel and get chance to eat the best food from great chefs, finally i need atleast one spoon of thayir sadam .....and, not only me all my cousins and other members, when we go to hotel, first we would like to order is THAYIR SADAM.for that my chtpa will shout WHY ARE YOU ASKING FOR THAYIR SADAM, ARE YOU NOT EATING IT DAILY.., why do you want to eat it in hotel also and thatoo ordering as first time....for that we used to say......theerndhu pochuna enna panradhu, so reserving that for our gang .......SORRY I CANT STOP.....

And, we used to make kuzhi in sadam and pour one spoon vathakuzambu and have it.....heheheh AMIRDHAMA ERUKKUM

adhvum enga amma pesangha thayir sadam, it will have extra taste and

PERUMAAL KOVIL THAYIR SADAM, it will also have DIVINE AND VERY EXCLUSIVE TASTE ..even no need of any side dish for this kovil thayir sadam.

SARAVANDA BHAVAN THAYIR SADAM it is also toooooo good ....i had it thrice, i feel like eating butter ....avlavu kuzavaa venai madhir appadi oru taste..

Sometimes KALYANA BAHALABATH too tastes very good .....

the list is endless.....hhheheheh enakku therinja topic. how i can write in short

9. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

I too love this simple yet nutritious delicacy. A real coolant but i like it with fresh curds which hasn't turned sour

10. kutti

kutti New IL'ite

Hi Prijan,
    Its a heavenly dish indeed!I feel watever food we have, curd rice gives the final,finishing touch to it...without that I feel something is missing & I feel dissatisfied..even if I have Chappathi/roti for dinner, atleast a handful of curd rice should be there for me..I guess all curd rice lovers have the same feeling. :)
    -kutti