Career confusion

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by amnilakshmi, Feb 24, 2016.

1. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I have more than 10 years of experience. After my second ones birth i am unable to concentrate. I am unable to think and debug issues. I am unable to be productive at work. I am getting confused unlike what i was before. I want to change my job but i like this environment. Though i have plans to switch careers i am not sure of what field i should go into.
    Please advice

2. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

no replies

3. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Be specific about your career and field of work and into which field you want to change over.

Advise would be given by those who have knowledge in them.

Regards,
    Vaidehi

1 person likes this.
  4. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello Amnilakshmi,
    First of all, you have a very good experience :) in the SW industry.
    The reason for you not having focus could be you are missing work life balance / you are worried about the baby / you are stressed out / not upto date with the technology you are working on due to maternity leave .
    I understand technical jobs need high concentration .
    Solutions that are striking me are :
    With current position :
    1. Ask if work form home atleast once a week is possible .
    2. Ask if part time job for same position is possible .
    3.Ask if they have initiatives to update the technical knowledge for Moms .
    4. Ask clear deliverables with time line .
    5. Take break from work once in a month or so.
    6.Plan your day properly .
    With changing job within company :
    1. Look for other career options like project management, testing or analytical jobs that might be flexible.
    Changing company :
    1. First you should make yourself clear of the interest you have and then apply for positions outside.

Hope this helps .
    Regards,
    Reca

1 person likes this.
  5. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Hi, first off congrats on the baby! I understand you are in a dilemma and that you need a break. Take off for two weeks, try to organize stuffs. Talk to your husband and sort the priorities out. Make a plan (this looks good on paper, but if you could execute it once, then you are good).

What is that actually troubling you? Is it the thought of the kids or is it the unfinished work at home? Remember you dont have to suffer alone. Your DH has equal responsibility. He can contribute to sort this as well.

If you think you are unhappy without a the kids, then sort it out. Can you manage like this forever or not? Quitting job for the sake of children is a huge sacrifice, especially if you are an ambitious woman. The kids easily grow and you should not later regret it.

Or if you think, your household work keeps running on your mind, so you cannot focus on - try hiring a maid! Try it out for sometime.

Come back to work after your break and execute your plans, if you think you can survive and this sorts your problem, then you win! If not, you still have options to try other plans - part time job, home making, adjusting your work hours etc etc.

Always remember if plan A fails, you have options till Z. You are not alone. There are plenty of ILs who are going through it. I am pretty sure you will get some valuable suggestions on organizing yourself. The question is - what is your priority? You got to decide on that. What ever be the decision, take your time and decide. Three should be no look back then. You seem to be an experienced bold woman. You sure can pull this through! Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Let ,e first understand the problem and then start working on the plans.

7. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

@reca can u please elaborate how testing jobs are flexible compared to other job profiles..? reason I'm asking is that I'm also open to change my job profile and I have come across so many of my female acquaintances and ex colleagues who were intially put into something else but switched over to QA and testing role after getting married or having a baby..I do not have any idea of that field hence would appreciate any info.

8. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello,
    With software testing you will be controling the quality of software application .
    The main job is to find the Bugs !
    If you have programmed( say SQL,Java, Perl ) before, testing can be quite easy to pick up. Any ILs working in testing
    domian correct me if I am wrong .
    There are mainly 2 types, manual testing ( will be relaxing ) and automation testing ( test scripts have to be written
    using code in automation ). Selenium and QTP are the ones mainly used tools in the SW industry for test automation.

If you have good analysis and investigation skills, then testing is for you .
    Testing need good communication with stake holders of the project, you can do this
    remotely.

Developers need to co-ordinate most of the times, with new software development
    methodologies like Agile, pair programming, scrums for development update demands
    physical presence. Testing job can be done remotely if your company policy allows.
    Also chances are you can get part time testing jobs. It is flexible in this sense and by no way it is simple as you have to learn a lot, work hard and have deep functional knowledge of the product you work on.. please note it .
    Other career to consider are trainer jobs and customer support jobs for flexible timings.Your past experience helps here.
    Hope this helps,
    Regards,
    Reca

1 person likes this.
  9. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Thank u :)

10. inboxsweetee

inboxsweetee Gold IL'ite

You need to Meditate for a while :) Just get yourself out from all thoughts ... Am sure you can concentrate back . Sometimes it happens because of the gap period. Also try to re- read the subject once as soon u start spending time more on the skills you rock like a gem :)