1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing koorai podavai (Nine yards saree) in South Indian Weddings

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by iyerviji, Jul 6, 2011.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

SriNalini dear true without madisar south indian weddin gis not complete and the bride looks so beautiful in that saree

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Kanaka dear so sweet of your mil to teach you and that now you also wear it on occasions. You are lucky to have such a loving mil, she is also lucky to have you as dil. Peacock blue is a lovely colour.

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Wow, I have got 13 likes for this thread , thanks to all those who have given me likes for this thread

4. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Vijima,

Nice topic. My mom is an expert in wearing Madisar. During my wedding my periyamma helped to drape madisar, and yes I wore a tights inside while wearing Madisar. Mine is a traditional Meroon saree with some pink shade on it. My mom, chitthi's wear madisar for all occassions at home and temples too. They change from 6 yards to 9 yards in few minutes. My MIL was astonished seeing this :) They tie 9 yards in any normal saree itself. So I learnt this from my mom. I taught my MIL how to wear 9 yards in a normal saree itself.

Now my MIL wears Madisar almost everyday for doing pooja in the morning :). I should learn how to tie 9 yards in a traditional 9 yards saree itself :) Hoping to acheive this misson soon :)

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Radha dear glad to know that your mom is expert in Madisar and you taught your MIL how to wear, its something different, usually MILs teach their dil. ,Glad to know that your mom and chithi change to madisar very fast.

6. devinathan

devinathan New IL'ite

I know this thread is very old. I love 9 yard sarees. I have 4 sarees. My koorai podavai is orange with navy blue border, One traditional color maroon with gold border, another one blood red with brown border (cotton) and last one is ivory color with maroon flower and maroon border. I like all these sarees.

7. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Nice thread...Its beautiful to see the bride looking stunning in the Madisar Saree...
    My wedding saree is the typcial Maroon 9 yards and one of my Grand mom tied it for me...She is the one who usually ties for every bride in the house and no one can beat her perfection...As advised by my mom, i wear knee length tights inside so that i dont feel uncomfortable...After my wedding i have worn it for important occassions.I have worn it for occasions like Brothers wedding, Gruhapravesam , Seemantham,Ayushhomam of DS etc...

Recently for one of my DH's cousins wedding all the DIL s of the house wore madisar(Some 5 of them)...Mine was a beautiful Bluish green Madisar saree with Maroon Border...It belongs to Great MIL (she has a huge collection of Silk Madisars)

It really looked nice on me...I paired it with right accesories like nethi chutti, ottiyanam etc..But the person who tied the madisar tied it little loose...

So amidst the wedding , it started getting very loose..

I just literally had to hold the madisar until the Mangalyadharanam was done and rush back to the room to change to 6 yards Saree..

that is one incident i will never forget in my life

I have another wedding coming up in the family this year and i am the "Nathanar"...So here is another oppurtunity to wear Madisar ..

I usually have short hair..But now i am growing hair to keep kunjalam ..

Wish me good luck

1 person likes this.