1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

September born toddler schooling in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Karthema, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Karthema

Karthema Junior IL'ite

Hi...
    My baby born on 8th September(she will be 2 this year)..
    we are enrolling her into Montessori/playschool this year...
    But in CA,the roll off date is September 1.
    They said that the school will admit her but she will be in the same grade twice..
    So she will lag a year...
    How do you manage this?
    Kindly give your valuable suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

this has been discussed in other threads too. to be brief, let the kid start a bit late. Being elder in the class gives her advantage than being younger in the class as it will be obvious only in middle/high school. Let her enjoy one more year of childhood. She can start Montessori at 3 which will be the right age. Not just my opinion but my experience too

3 people like this.
  3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Its good that you have this option, I dont have it, my sept born kid will start school a year later.

No point in having her repeat class. Check with your school district if they will admit her directly into first grade if she does Prek and Kindergarten in private school.

The way I am going to keep my kid challenged is to enrol her in a music class. Its amazing workout for the brain and for motor skills.

1 person likes this.
  4. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

It is the parent's choice.Many american parents prefer their kids to be the oldest in the class.I have seen parents who have august born kids retain for a year as they wanted their kids to be the oldest in class.

But most of the desi parents dont want to waste a year ..like in your case and they choose the private school route.The kid studies her KG and 1st grade in private and goes to public in 2 nd grade when the cut off date doesnt matter but only the grade she studied b4. HTH.

1 person likes this.
  5. Karthema

Karthema Junior IL'ite

Thank you everyone for the suggestions..
    We too decided to enroll her when she is 3..