1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you/DH have to contribute financially to your in laws regularly,if yes how much

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SadMarried, Jun 10, 2015.

1. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

Re: Do you/DH have to contribute financially to your in laws regularly,if yes how m

@SGBV, thanks dear for advice.

I like your idea of investing on child, like on jewels or something else . Im sure he will not say no to that. For son , cant get any jewels , but im planning to have ask him for regular saving for my son's uni study when he will be 18 yrs old.

We did invest on property recently. In-laws weren't happy about that as they want us to invest on property back home. It was to my surprise too that hubby agreed on my idea of investing here in UK.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Re: Do you/DH have to contribute financially to your in laws regularly,if yes how m

Make plans around the kid. That makes the link between H and W in such circumstances.
    Buy a property and put kid's name as nominee
    Save for his future
    Insurance for him
    As time flies, you will get other kids, and if they are girls then savings could be more on various matters such as jewels, wedding etc..etc... in addition to education, insurance etc...
    Dads will never say NO for the kids, and kids will become the first priority before parents and siblings. So, eventually you will bring him to the right place. No worries.

1 person likes this.
  3. tulip2012

tulip2012 Silver IL'ite

yeah yeah they gave me ten gold medals!! chanceless!!

As my husband will be inheriting the properties of in laws and by marrying him I will also part take in that it was just my duty to pay it off!!
    in fact my dowry was 5 laks less than SIL. She is not working and I have always been.. till date. I think FIL extracted that 5 L difference from me this way. initially they demanded 15, but then as my parents did not grow money on treees and since i was earning well even then we dint pay that .

4. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

@oyesterzzz , i hear you dear. My in laws also says they will sell everything and leave us in debt before they die , if we dont send them money when they ask. He might not have meant that , he only says that to me (DIL) but not to their son . They are very clever ppl. that gets me thinking we might not even get husband's share of asset as he is supposed to get as son. He doesn't like even i say so , even talk in that matter , so i have never said anything about that to him.. But i do wonder our hard earned money if we send backhome and dont even get anything in the end ..whats the point ...So my motto is only send them for their need as i also respect son's responsibility of looking after their parents.

5. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

In my case,

7% of my salary go towards my parents. My base salary is 100k, and I have other benefits like pensions, retirement savings plan from my company. Most americans do not save anything, they just rely on the retirement savings plan.

My parents will kill me if I give them money. So, I just buy them vacation or if my mom says something that she likes..then I will surprise her by gifting her. My mom's wishes are very simple (she is not into silk sarees and gold)...the most recent thing she mentioned was...it is summer time and there are so many street dogs and horses (!!) that have no access to clean water..esp during hot summer...so she wants a drinking water thotti built in front of the house for the animals..I am on it and it will be a surprise for her

My fiancee..sends a fixed amount every month..he makes 105k a year. He also has very good benefits with his company. He sends them 50,000 rs a month. But I told him, lets just allocate 7% of our salary for our parents, when our salary increases..we can give them more and if suddenly one of us lose our job, we pay 7% of the single person's salary. He thinks its a good idea and lets see how it works out after marriage :p

2 people like this.
  6. Marzipan

Marzipan Gold IL'ite

Jazmine83,

You have a wonderful mother. :)

5 people like this.
  7. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

Are you saying that they didn't give any or part of their property to their daughter? still........taking money from somebody's daughter for paying your daughter's dowry is so very cheap. Please don't mind.

3 people like this.
  8. tulip2012

tulip2012 Silver IL'ite

They gave away in cash whatever share daughter had... as the land would come to me and husband I think my FIL made me to pay...

nice logic rt????

9. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

UOTE=tulip2012;3582286]They gave away in cash whatever share daughter had... as the land would come to me and husband I think my FIL made me to pay...

nice logic rt????[/QUOTE]

Same happened with me. ILs gave SIL's share and remaining property to both the brothers but they never took anything from us (co-sis and me). co-sis earns money but doesn't give her salary to in laws. i wonder how you become responsible for your sil's marriage. you never gave birth to her. just because you in other words, your DH will be inheriting the property does not mean the dil should take care of her sil's dowry. doesn't even come near any logic. taking money from son is ok but taking money from dil is a big no no. these kinds of things shouldn't be encouraged in the first place.

1 person likes this.
  10. Hyral

Hyral Gold IL'ite

ya indeed this sensitive topic always hits my head and looses my peace of mind for obvious reasons mentioned by other ILites..My DH is like ancient Saint who has no desire to buy nething for himself nor for his wife...but He has no problem in allowing his greedy , sobby parents to go on spending the money my DH earns on themselves and more than themselves they love to spend on their idiotic daughter who is CA and earning more than me though younger than me...yet she is one damn greedy lady....
    My in-laws got their daughter married off to the guy who is only child to his parents so that their daughter dont have to share any properties or money with her DH's siblings and no SIL so no such formalities of buying gifts so this lady will never understand what her Bro and me (her bhabhi) goes through...

My DH though earning well is not able to save a penny for us and all goes to his parents coz they are joint a/c holder to a/cs that my DH holds..my DH has still not included me in any of his a/cs and he wants to get his name as joint a/c holder in my salary a/c. when I questioned him for why he still adds mummy as joint a/c holdee he said why???u too have ur a/c with ur parents...now here my parents are not fetching money from a/c i have in my parents home town...they are well off and infact they deposit money again which I never ask and morever my parents have opened locker for me so one of my parent is required to be in the same a/c....and DH is also joint a/c holder in same a/cs i hold in home town.

wht i hate the most is he spending not only on his parents but he even goes nuts on spending money on his sister....silly gal never says no and always ready to accept gifts and demand too...how i hate her to core...

My DH has never got me any jewelry in my near to 5 yrs of marriage...but we were made to gift expensive araound 60k bracelet to SIL in her wedding....this gal didnt even gift us a card...
    my DH cant dare to buy a gift....for me...dare he does so...his mom will start lecturing us regarding value of money and etc.

I indeed hate money minded nature of my in-laws and how i wish my DH wakes up one day and realize wht his parents are upto...

and yes am not contributing money in terms of like depositing or giving them directly.
    But I buy household stuffs from my salary....Wht hurts me is I seek for better financial future and feel that I and DH can discuss out openly but he just dont get it...all he can think of is his parents and spending on them....