1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should you merge finances for a happy married life?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Maayai, Mar 6, 2015.

1. maya69

maya69 Gold IL'ite

We keep joint acct from very start of married life. we hardly had much income in the beginning to keep separate acct and both made about the same then. Then over the years as career progressed DH makes almost 4 times what I make but then also spend way more than me. so it was not practical for each to contribute to one household acct and then keep separate acct for other use etc. I would be on losing end always!

So we continue to keep one joint acct where both salary come into which I manage to pay all bills but then he withdraws after talking to me from that when appropriate to fund different investments like college fund for kids, investments, retirement planning which are all on joint names as well. he is savvy at that sort long term planning and investing and I just manage monthly items so it works for us.

2 people like this.
  2. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Its better to pool in the money together...Sit and disucss with your DH and Plan. Plan on your Future having short and Long term goals(Like in 3 years we should have a property worth so much, we should have BB, We should have a abroad vacation).

Make sure you decide on the contributions you would make from your pockets for achieving the goals apart from the day to day and personal expenditures.

2 people like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Seperate yet joined!
    Our salaries came into two different bank accounts. We had each other added to our bank accounts but it was still primarily mine and his. I have access but don't bother to use his and vice versa. I used mine for DD's school, most grocery and home expenses and my personal expenses. He used his for big ticket items - mortgage, car payments etc. we used mine for vacations etc.
    We used to plan all savings and spendings jointly but now it's one or the other, whoever has the time to talk to the financial planner does the work.
    For some reason our financial planner later told us it was a good idea to keep salaries seperate. I don't remember the reason.
    Now, I SAH and liberally use my DHs bank account.

2 people like this.
  4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Because I don't believe in discussing every small decision . We keep each other informed specially things which are related to our side of relatives . We trust each other enough to do things first and tell later if it happens or if there is a need .

Agree it is different family dynamics .

3 people like this.
  5. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Ditto- we added each other to our accounts and salaries come to seperate accounts too. Oh the nightmare of changing direct deposits.

2 people like this.
  6. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

We have separate account for our salary but use only one account/salary for expenses. Normally we try to manage with my DH salary to pay all the bills and expenses but if we have extra expense like flight tickets etc then we use my account/salary. for my daily expense, I use CC (bill is paid by DH's account) and take cash from DH. I must mention, me and DH discuss every single expense/gift/any thing related to our family with each other before making any decision (gifts to either side of family). We both know each others banking password so that whenever we need , can use .

I belive, separate/joint account doesn't matter if you have good understanding and discuss all matters without making any decision.

3 people like this.
  7. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Looks like you have a great understanding with your H. That is all that matters. Whatever works....:)

1 person likes this.
  8. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

When I got married, I wasn't working and we had a joined account where I log in once in a blue moon. When I want cash, I take it from his valet or I use the credit card and he pay.

When I started working my salary was going to the same account. Again I check once in blue moon . My DH will let me know if my salary is credited or not. Then one day when opened and checked I noticed our balance hasn't fattened any better even after I started working.

Then , I opened another account in my name and my salary aka peanuts goes there. When I opened that account I declared my DH that, first check will be written for our daughter's college, second will be for our son's college and third will be for our retirement.

Since life doesn't go as we plan, I made the first check ( /transferred) some money to our joint account when my DH lost his job.

When he found a new job, he asked me to open an emergency account in my name and now we monthly transfer a small amount from joint a/c to that emergency a/c which will be used for emergencies like this.( vacation does not come under emergency:D:D, I tried, he said NO )

Neither me nor my DH has any issue me taking ( note:- taking not asking, of course I inform ) money from his wallet ( too lazy to go the ATM while one is at home itself ). It works perfect for us. :)

4 people like this.
  9. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Life is so not fair. Vacation does not come under emergency? :)

4 people like this.
  10. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

When we work really really hard, vacation does come under emergency. But DH has different opinion and since life isn't fair, I had to listen to him :)

4 people like this.