TTC past 2 years with PCOD

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by nosheen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. nosheen

nosheen New IL'ite

Hi,

I have been TTC since last 2 yrs. I am diagnosed with PCOD.

I am suffering from irregular periods since 2009 when I had sever Typhoid and was hospitalized from treatment. after that my weight gain was instant. over an year I gained 10 kg in 2010 and then 10 kg in 2013-14. My gyn in 2012 put me on OCP to regulate my cycle then i changed my gyn after sometime and she stopped my OCP and gave me supplements to improve my hormone balance. but all in vein and I am only able to get periods if I take Clomephene.

We TTC naturally from Jan 2013 to may 2014. My doc always advised me to loose weight but I was not able to succeed. In Jan 2014 I was 71.5 kg and my height is 5'1. In June 2014 I had my first cycle of IUI but failed to conceived because we dint took proper care. then in July 2014 I had my laproscopy.
    I missed my cycle in Aug 2014 and took help of meds for next cycle. after that I had 3 more cycles of IUI but nothing positive.

I have to take clomid for ovulation and I am on folic acid. My gyn gave some meds after IUI for 10-15 days. My egg size is always 21-23 and I get ovulation trigger shots. My endo is ~10.5. Doc says everything is good.
    My husband's semen analysis is also positive. I also lost 10 Kgs since july 2014.
    My thyroid test is negative.

I am emotionally broken and very disappointed. I always need clomid for periods.

How can I improve my chances of conceiving?

2. nithyadavidson

nithyadavidson Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I am really sorry to know your situation, I will share my experience here.
    I too understand your feelings as I had PCOS and right from my 8th std I used to get periods once in 3 months or 4 months, totally irregular till we were trying TTC, got married on Dec 2006 from 2008 was in TTC and then started the problem, since I did not have Tyroid I did not put weight but to get periods I had to take medicines without that nothing worked out, till Aug 2008 dr gave tablets to regularize my periods and then we started treatment for TTC till Aug 2009 no luck, dr said you have to go to IUI as my egg size was just 8 even after some injections, she told me to come the next month after periods but that month it happened, I am not sure whether it is that injection I took or God's grace but it happened and now my kid is nearly 5 yrs, my DD was born on April 2010 from 2011 my periods was some what regular I mean I used to get periods without tablets but on Jan 2012 that too stopped, of course we were trying for second one but as usual -ve HPT no periods in feb, march, april and in May when I again checked HPT it was +ve, I was totally confused, I thought I must be 3 months carrying but in scan it just showed 4 weeks and that too even heart beat of the lo did not come, they said only by 6th or 7th week scan we can see the heart beat, so that means it must have clicked somewhere in april but from Jan no periods, my second DD was born on Dec 12.
    I am not sure whether my experience helps you but I feel to get pregnant it is not that must to get periods regularly, i know a good friend of mine who gets periods on 28th day and no other prblms still no kids, they tried IUI and waiting for IVF they arealso thinking of going for adoption, so more than everything it is just our will power and God's help. I know the pain you are undergoing, for some TTC is a piece of cake but not for all, if God is testing you then he is preparing you for something in your life, so please stay positive, I know it will be difficult with the pressure from society, parents, in laws but just pray and keep your mind positive.
    I am not sure of your age, if you are young please try to forget all these for some time and just try naturally who knows like me after 4 months some good news you may get, so nothing is in our hand, only the person above us is deciding,
    All the best. Take care

3. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

Dear nosheen, am sorry that you had to fight pcos. But remember, pcos is the most common and treatable form of infertility. It may take time, but it would definitely happen, sooner or later. Do not get disheartened or depressed, that may make things worse.
    I am fighting pcos too. In ttc since 1.5 yrs. Have you tried just medicines like clomid, or did you try injectables too? My first 2 iuis were only with clomid.. follicle size both times were 22 or 23 and endo thickness was > 10 too. Hubby's reports were good too, but couldn't get the bfp. This time, this is my 3rd iui, but I tried with clomid+ injectables. In 2ww now.
    Do not get upset, pcos is a very common problem.

4. nosheen

nosheen New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply ladies. I am a bit better today. My mood swings are killing me.

I am 30 yr old and running in 31.

@Twinkle, I have taken only clomid and ovulation trigger injection. can you please give more details about the injectables.

5. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

Hi @nosheen, you tagged me wrong, so i didn't get the notification :) am twinkel, not twinkle :-D
    I'll turn 30 in this march.. Injectables are more advanced and stimulate better than clomid. Like, with clomid too I responded, but that took upto my cycle day 20 or 21 to get upto the desired follicle size.. but with injectables, i.e fsh and lh injections (GMH 150iu) in my case, I responded well and devoloped 20x20 size by day 12.. 23x20 by day 14 and iui was done on day 14, 36 hours after the trigger.
    thats a common protocal most doctors follow for patients with anovulatory issues or mild MFI, and no other issues... natural cycles with clomid ---> clomid+iui ---> clomid + injectables + iui ---> injectables iui and if they doesnt work then to ivf ...

6. DreamWorld

DreamWorld Silver IL'ite

Hi @twinkel,I am also suffering from PCOS, DH side he is total good. No issues. My periods have been regulated but am not ovulating naturally. But the thing is my RE is not recommending us for an IUI, she wants us to try naturally. I had 3 cycles of Clomid+Injectibles+TI, but no success.

We have been in this TTC journey since 2yrs and am nearing 30 this april which make me feel more depressed.

So, we have changed our RE and moving a different fertility center next month for an IUI. I have few questions: Does losing weight increase my chances of ovulating naturally?
    My previous RE suggested us that after 3 cycles of IUI, we should go for Laparoscopy Ovarian Drilling or D&C? Did you had this?

Please let know.

Lots of baby dust to all of us!!!

7. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

@nosheen, please don't worry too much about your age. I know its easier said than done. I am 33 and trust me I have moments of sheer panic when I think about it. The people around me are not making it easy either. Keep the faith in God. Things will surely work out for you.
    For PCOS, I have heard that lifestyle management will be really effective-Less carbs, more protein and fibers,Weight control, exercise. Try consuming sprouts . My prayers are with you.

8. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

30 is not a long number to be worried about :) yes, I have heard putting off 10% of our weight may kick start our ovulation. Adopting healthy lifestyle and weight loss regime is always healthy and advantageous for pcos, irrespective of ttc.
    I personally think I would go for iui after 3 unsuccessful natural attempts. laproscopic overian drilling may not help much, but my cosis, who also has pcos, conceived after laproscopy and iui immediately followed by it :) Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. vidhyaunni

vidhyaunni New IL'ite

Hi Nosheen
    I totally understand ur situation. I too had PCOD and difficulty conceiving 4 years back but now am a mother of 2 kids. The problem with PCOD is its closely related to stress and ur hormonal imbalance might not be the same every month. so u might get the world's best treatment , but if ur stressing urself out, ur fighting against ur own treatment . When i was trying to conceive, I just began B.KS.Iyengar's yoga. It was a set of around 15 yoga asanas for pcod/irregular periods. used to do that everyday .I guess that really helped me a lot. I actually conceived 2 months after I was diagnosed with PCOD inspite of my hormones and other test results being so depressing . The doctors were so surprised too. So please practice a lot of meditation, calm your mind, be happy and practice specific yoga for pcod.
    Hope this helps

Vidhya

1 person likes this.
  10. DreamWorld

DreamWorld Silver IL'ite

We are waiting to try our luck by IUI. As I told, we have fixed an appointment with a new RE coming month. Hoping for the best!

And I already started with change in my food habits. But there is lack of exercise in it. I am getting tired when i come back from office and prepare food for that day and my lunch for next day, which is making to skip my gym. I am thinking of trying yoga asanas at home in the evening as soon as i come home from office.

Will surely try to implement.

Thank you @Twinkel for replying back.

Lots of baby dust to all ttc ladies.