1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can't forget and forgive!!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sweetestshweta, Dec 22, 2014.

1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

SS....you have a daughter.Get your jewelery back for her.Next time she is near by...ask her point blank...mummyji...I think the time has come to give back my jewelery.It is my streedhan and I want it back .....do not back off even if husband is upset.He did not buy that jewelery.
    If nothing else...she will stop trying to get close and make permanent nest for herself and her daughter in your house.

You need to let your husband know that you have had enough.He should be grateful that he has such an accommodating wife.He should also start worrying about the peace in his home.

P.S...even if it is jewelery gifted by husbands side relatives...it is yours.Ask her in front of the whole family.If she says she will give back later.Tell her you don't think that will ever happen.
    If you don't want to take it back...you can tell her straight away.....don't give it back(tell it in front of the whole family)....Then cut down on the money you people give them and buy yourself some jewelery.If they ask....tell them you are buying jewelery for your daughter in place of the one she took.

And don't get all emotional and give up on the inherited property.It is not for you to give up...it belongs to your children and their children.If she gives sil the bigger share...let her.Tell her now sil can take care of herself.

5 people like this.
  2. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

The same thing happened to me. MIL took all the jewellery gifted to me by DH's relatives. She made sure none of her relatives gifted me jewellery during the wedding functions. Every thing was given only once I had gone to their place after wedding rituals were completed, and no one from my family was present. After every one gifted me things, she packed it up in a suitcase, and took it to her room, with the help of her relatives, who were all unfamiliar to me then. She said she would return them after I had my own locker, as she did not want me to keep them in my mother's locker.

She gave me some things back after I told DH that I thought it was wrong of her to keep the jewellery, even after I had my own locker. She said there were only four small things that people had gifted, whereas I know there were a lot more.

However, she created lots of drama. Started crying. Tried to make me look greedy in front of DH. Also, the ones she returned, she gave those to me in private, when DH was not around, and told me she had gifted the rest of the jewellery to others. I felt sick seeing her greedy and dishonest nature. I only said "Its ok, MIL. You can keep all of it. I will get new ones made."

MIL convinced DH that those were the only things that were gifted to me by their relatives. I know for certain there was much more. I told DH I remember there was more. He said he would get jewellery for me, and not to say any thing to his mother about it.

I refused to accept any of it. I told DH also I do not want jewellery as I am not that fond of gold jewellery, and not used to wearing it much. I told him I felt bad that MIL took it away on the pretext of safe-keeping. I told him she could keep it with her, and I would wear it if any occasion demanded. Anyway, he insisted that I take it, and he is the one who took it back.

I felt really bad. I am sick and tired of MIL's lies and greed. I can buy jewellery any time with my money. I never asked her to return any of it. Yet she made a big show of returning the jewellrey in front of DH, while giving me only the little pieces back. I think she has kept the rest for herself.

I don't intend to ask her for it again. I know she will never return the rest of it.

3 people like this.
  3. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Well said. :2thumbsup:

2 people like this.
  4. anjananathan

anjananathan Platinum IL'ite

I do not know how is your relationship with co-sis .. is she a reliable person who will give honest opinion to you ? also does she have her own jewelry given by MIL or MIL is holding that also.. if yes, you both can demand it.. you can listen to co-sis but end of day, you should do what you wanted to do..

I see too much of speculation here and you are taking decisions based on that.. did she ever come out openly? I don't think you should worry about she is being fair or unfair.. it does not work that way.. MIL/DH/BIL could have soft corner for her because she is widow.. even if your MIL gives her share, let her ..its not in your control.. if brothers are not ready to fight (only if they want), you cant do much here.. so forget about that ..

Tell your DH that financial planning is needed to have a safe future

1. Tell him clearly that he should keep his share and not give it to his sis.. you have kid(s) too and it is important there future is safe also..
    2. Since your MIL is already taking care of SIL needs, tell him that he should focus on you and kid.. not that he should not help his sister in time of need, but let his priority be you , kid and him
    3. Start saving your DH and yours salary

IMO, you should plan based on his share, both of your income and other assets.. forget about MIL and other stuff.. it is hers and let her do what she wants..

She is absolutely right here.. don't assume things and give out open statement like this.. let your MIL come out openly and then handle it..

5. sweetestshweta

sweetestshweta Gold IL'ite

Ok..So as you and others have suggested,I'll never denounce our share and never say it to anyone in family.Whether we get a fair share or not,whether MIL gives away 50% to SIL(even after we and BIL are taking care of all her finances),and BIL and DH get 25% each,I'll not object.Let the sons see her true self..
    Thanks a lot dear.Its a great help

1 person likes this.
  6. sweetestshweta

Hi nb.I remember reading your thread.These MILs are such greedy and double faced creatures.But their male offsprings are so dumb that they can never realise the games they play nor ever gather the courage to stand up against the injustice being made to their wives..We females are much more clear and straight forward.I am the first one to point out my mom's mistakes.You took the right stand dear.
    My case-its not been spoken about in open in front of the whole family.I'll take the same route as you if ever that happens..

1 person likes this.
  7. sweetestshweta

Hi nb.I remember reading your thread.These MILs are such greedy and double faced creatures.But their male offsprings are so dumb that they can never realise the games they play nor ever gather the courage to stand up against the injustice being made to their wives..We females are much more clear and straight forward.I am the first one to point out my mom's mistakes.You took the right stand dear.
    My case-its not been spoken about in open in front of the whole family.I'll take the same route as you if ever that happens..

8. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

You took some of her jewelry to wear on some occasion and never give her back.Give tit for tat.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

^ The dark side. Phew!

10. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

you are expecting from the wrong person. stop expecting and you will be much happier. Try and get the jewelery or else forget about it thinking you lost it. Stop your parents from gifting anything to her. everything they give should go to you and your daughter.

1 person likes this.