Need feedback on Shatavari capsules/powder for breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Sandhya13, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I am a mother of 43 days old baby boy. I have been breastfeeding him so far and for the past 2 days I noticed that my milk isnt enough for him. I had to supplement with formula a couple of times per day. I want to feed him exclusively with my milk for 4 months and then slowly start semi solids and then solids. I am very very sad about supplementing with formula now. I have not changed anything in my routine and not sure what is happening with me. May be my baby is going through a growth spurt and demands more. I just hope my milk will keep up to the demand soon.

I have already been taking lots of garlic, jeera water, mothers milk tea, oats, veggies that help with lactation etc.

Meanwhile, I heard that shatavari capsules/powder helps with milk supply. I have a few questions on that and I hope you will be able to help me.

1. Has anyone tried this and found success? If yes, was it significant increase in supply?
    2. Does it alter the hormonal balance in our body? I see that this is not only used for incresing milk supply but also during other times. So, I am confused by this and am afraid if it will do any harm.
    3. Which brand should I buy? I see a lot of brands in amazon when I looked for shatavari.
    4. I have started taking fenugreek seeds. I soak it overnight and take a tsp couple of times during the day. Everytime I take this I am at the verge of throwing up but somehow am managing to swallow. Is it okay to take the seeds without soaking? It is so much better to swallow the fenugreek seeds in raw form instead of soaking. If I do this, will I get the same benefits as the soaked seeds?

I am very grateful for your valuable suggestions.

2. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Sandhya,

Congrats on the little baby!

Yes, he might be having a growth spurt, but usually growth spurts are for a bit older kids, say 3 months, 6 months or so.

And yes, if he needs more, let him try to drink more. the suckling is the best way to simulate more milk. So, dont supplement formula immediately, then your body thinks that the milk it is producing is sufficient and does not lactate more quantity.

Fenugreek raw or soaked, should be the same!

Maintain a healthy diet, and the more you stress about milk production, the lower it will get. So JUST Believe you can do this. Meditate few minutes and consciously remember that you can do this! Best wishes :)

3. Akineel

Akineel Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear,

Congrats and Try to include boiled black Channa(handful) in your diet..
    For me that helped a lot. The next day only there will b noticeable change..

4. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you Preethiitech and Akineel for taking time to respond.

@Akineel - Would black channa cause gas to baby? Or is it okay since I have to take only a handful? Did it cause any issues to your baby? Please let me know.

5. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Channa will cause gas; and as per south east asian culture, this will prevent the mother from loosing weight and trap gas in her body. I am not sure, how true! But we never took it until baby became 3 months old.