1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed in a critical situation

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Booni, Sep 18, 2014.

1. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

We are all speculating that the husband is the villain (and most likely could be) but we don't know for sure. We are also speculating that he want to get out of paying alimony etc.

I agree, both should have settled their very obviously irreconcilable difference in a more mature manner at least for their kids sake. As is obvious, both have proved to be immature and irresponsible.

2. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

So YM, according to you she deserves all this because she picked up a knife? butter knife or not is immaterial to you, right? knife is knife, right? Okay.

So what do you say she could have done instead? Both were in the middle of a heated argument, he had her pushed up against a wall, strongly enough that there are marks on her arms per op's account...That was the situation. As it happened the butter knife was within reach and she grabbed it and used it to make him let go, again per op. You disapprove of that, very strongly I might add. So do tell what else she could have done to make him let her go when she was in that situation?

I am not supporting her action and I am not condemning her action. I feel this whole incident was like an accident, regrettable, yes, avoidable, maybe but it happened, thats it. But you obviously do not so I would like to know what other options you would feel you would have had in that situation.

1 person likes this.
  3. Booni

Booni Junior IL'ite

The stingy husband took the credit card and gave only debit card in which hardly was any money. I only collected her wallet from him after she was out on bail.
    In that debit card her dad has put some money now. The lawyer is aware of all these. They suggested legal separation /divorce route which is in process now. Again it's an expensive affair from her side. After the process the husband has to pay but before that we need to pay retainment fee.
    It runs like $3500/-which is very hard to send from India right? .
    We stopped talking about the past. The kids didn't witness anything. It all happened when they were asleep. And the husband and wife always argued but only twice physicals took place first time knife second time nail scratch and slight choking. Both the physical was done by wife. Husband pushed and scratched nails. So with this two incidents itself he got fear of life and called cops and still in fear hence the restraining order - according to him.
    We stopped talking about the past.

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Booni

Even with or without this whole mess, you friend needs some very serious counseling for anger management!

What is this knife-wielding and nail scratching and all that? Whether perpetrated by the woman or the man.... it is dangerous! I feel that the husband is justified in calling the cops over her, because she does seem to lose it very easily, and takes a very aggressive stance.

In any case, are there any woman shelters or something like that in Houston where she can stay to sort all this mess out? I just found this when I googled - http://www.hawc.org/.

Please see if you can hook her up with something like that, so that you're not having to be so directly involved in this mess. I am sure it's a drain on you guys emotionally and financially to have to deal with this. My heart does go out to her parents in India, who are probably helpless knowing that their daughter is in a situation like this, but as Rihanna said, there's only so much you can and should do.

2 people like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Akanksha, Hopefully the two will reconcile, and put this behind them, and move on. But, when matters reach the level of divorce, it is each for self.
    Each of those options - filing for divorce, counselling, involving elders, has its pros and cons. Family court judges are generally pro-woman. Her dependent status would probably get her sympathy. Once spouse gets a whiff of divorce plans, he or she can create havoc in the bank accounts. Element of surprise is often useful. Why blame the man so wholesomely? Once he is attacked by a knife, she might as well be a stranger or intruder. That she is the mother of his children is such a filmi argument to bring up.

In fact, it is even harder when there are kids involved. The man has to live with the decision of putting his kids through a divorce. I don't think this thing is easy for him either. If he has taken steps that will minimize how much he has to pay in alimony, is it so wrong? How is he supposed to work out the alimony part with his wife? Why would she agree to less than she can get?

I still hope they are able to reconcile, and move on to lead at least a basic version of happy lives, but, let's not blame the man so much.

Possible. We do not know what all happened in their lives other than this incident.

Easy to say. When it comes to divorce, things are usually very ugly. Maybe there was no other way for the man to get sole custody of the children? Curse and enemy and all that are theory and instinctive reactions from us readers. Actually going through that is different.

2 people like this.
  6. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Wonder what IL-ites would say if the genders were reversed?
    i am sure atleast a few would say next time he tries it - call the cops etc etc.
    here gender is reversed though...
    suffice it to say - in either gender - dont call the cops unless its truly critical. For normal hubby wife fights (even though mild physical) - deal with it among urselves in other ways, maybe separation in certain cases.
    use law and order only for real serious cases.

2 people like this.
  7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP is a good and kind friend. She is going above and beyond her duties as a friend to help the woman in question. But when we care about someone, we are predisposed to certain cognitive biases in favor of those individuals. OP's version of the events are based on her friend's account, and are naturally skewed in favor of the wife. As they say, there are three versions of any event, his, hers, and the truth. We need to remember that the version we are hearing here is not entirely representative of the events as they took place.

Some of the comments on this thread remind me of this PSA - #ViolenceIsViolencen

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Rihana, Is the anger, ego or whatever so worth it that one would put his spouse in jail, put her literally on streets with no where to go, put her into a situation with no money and a big hole of lawyers fees? Can some humanity or commonsense prevail? OP, unknown is doing so much for her friend just for humanity purpose while he is doing so much harm to his own wife and he knows he is the only person who can stop this misery. With all the money/gold he may have received from his wife, at least he can send her back and reunite her with her parents.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

Heck, the visa delays ALONE show this is not spur-of-the-moment. I guess I'm assuming that the parents live in India ... nevertheless. The whole thing smacks of precision planning and manipulation.

And get serious. A BUTTER KNIFE? That is not a deadly weapon.

He orchestrated the whole thing so he can get off scot free, keep the kids, and not pay alimony. How much do you want to bet that there's already a 2nd marriage all lined up for him? More dowry for him.

She needs NOT to apologize. She needs to assume this marriage is over, and make it so even if he loses the court case and tries to back down. She needs to take her kids and make sure he pays child support and alimony. SHE NEEDS TO MOVE TO PROTECT HERSELF AND HER KIDS, because a smarmy jerk like that is going to be every bit as bad as a parent as he was a husband.

10. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

op, I dont understand. So she does not have a joint bank account with him? No checks or cc from the joint account etc? when did he close their joint account and opened /transferred into a personal acct --then that also shows premeditation. And what was he doing with her purse/wallet that you had to take from him? How come her purse was not with her or in the police station with the officers? What a mess!

Again I dont know too much about all this but cant she get the states' help? Claim she is indigent and get a public defender? What s her visa status? Is she on GC or a citizen?