1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Bottled water/Filter water/Tap water- What do you use?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Jithiks, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi prr,

Thanks for appreciating my post.

Hi IL'ites,

Latest news issued in our county (Henrico County) is that , the tap water needs to be boiled at least for a minute before use. It is good for washing, but even for brushing the teeth etc, they have warned us not to swallow it..

So until further notice, they have adviced the residents to follow this.

Cheers
    Krithika

2. Dolly_Lite

Dolly_Lite Bronze IL'ite

hi

we use the BRITA water pitches/filter for drinking. It greatly increases the taste. For cooking i use ordinary tap water. But no hot tap water for drinking. But when i checked with the doctor about the water to be given to the baby, she said it is fine to use cold tap water and no boiling is necessary. I was little hesistant at first of giving my baby just the direct cold tap water. So i started getting the filtered water from the grocery store only for the baby...

I think the purity of the water depends on the county you live in, i mean the place, soil content etc., anyways you can check with the local county water dept. about any questions like lead content, purity etc., and decide.

dolly

3. nakkamanju

nakkamanju New IL'ite

hi ..

we have pur water purifier....we use filter water for drinking .....i did observe difference in taste when u directly drink tap water and drink filtered water we r trying maximum to avoid using bottled water ......

thanks
    manju

4. golda

golda New IL'ite

Hi
    I have heared that using the tap water for drinking is not good for health.Particulary it has fertility problems as they do not treat the lead..Any suggestions..Can we use filter?..if so what filter we have to use for tap water?..

5. lucky_bandi

lucky_bandi New IL'ite

HI ,

I use Brita filter water fr both cooking & drinking.

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Dolly_lite,

It is great that you are using Brita water filter for drinking. Sure, there is a marked difference in the taste.

As for the purity, it depends on the report we get from the county periodically along with our water bill. But still, some are skeptical about it and use only filtered water for cooking too !

Thanks for writing in here.

Cheers
    Krithika

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Nakkamanju,

As I mentioned in the previous post, there is a difference in taste between tap water and filtered water. Bottled water works out be quite expensive compared to filtered water which can be attached to faucets or pitchers at home.

Thanks for writing in.

Cheers
    Krithika

8. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Golda,

You can use PUR or BRITA water filters. Both are good. But if you look at the previous posts, Prr has given a link where there is comparison between water filters.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Krithika

9. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Bandi,

That's great. Continue to use them , but please be sure to replace the filters periodically !

Cheers
    Krithika

10. lucky_bandi

lucky_bandi New IL'ite

HI Krithika,

Thanks fr ur advice.i ll change d filters.