No epidural labour - Is it doable?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Butterflie, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

Im 39 weeks pregnant and a first time mom. my doctor said I would be induced on my due date. I always had no intention of taking epidural since so many generations of women have been doing without it since time immemorial. But now my mind is clouded with doubts.
    1. Arent induced contractions much more hard to bear? Is an epidural the only relief then?
    2. How long does the labour usual last after induction? My doctor said it might take a full day. Is it that she is mentally preparing me or is it true?
    3. None of my friends were able to do the "no epidural" thing. Everyone says they gave up in the end. How hard is it really? Am I being too unrealistic?
    thinkingsmiley
    Thanks in advance!!

2. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

My advice will be don't be inflexible about anything regarding delivery. Be prepared for everything as it comes. You really have not much control when you are actually there.

I always knew that I won't be able to hold long, so I had already told my nurses that I would take epidural. But it happened that I sort of lost my reasoning during the first narcotic IV itself. I don't remember it, but DH tells me that I had no idea where I was and was blabbering stupid things. The nurses refused to give me epidural unless I came to my senses. So by the time I actually had it, I was anyway too much dilated. But it definitely made giving birth very easy, for me at least.

Have a safe and easy delivery (whatever that is), dear. And a healthy cute baby. All the best. :)

3 people like this.
  3. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

Shreya.. Thanks so much for the info and sharing ur personal experiences! What you said is so right, I think I should stay open to all possibilities.
    I guess i will just have to stay optimistic and leave the rest to god :) :)

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Butterflie, any reason why your doc wants to induce you on your due date is not waiting past to see if you go into labor naturally? It is quite common for babiesto go past their due date.

1 person likes this.
  5. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

Peartree, my 36 week ultrasound showed i had slightly less amniotic fluid. Although my doctor assured me that it was common for indians, she dint want to wait past my due date. She said the amniotic fluid gets lower everyday after the due date and dint want to risk it.
    She is an experienced doctor i ve heard great things about her, so I dint question further. Hope we are moving in the right direction!!

6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Butterflie.. yes... I am not questioning doctor's competency. I am sure they have their reasons. But was just curious. And yes, it is definitely better to trust your doctor that they will do what's best for you.

About the epidural, I want to say it is definitely doable, my sister's 2 kids - one was born with and the other without. But I myself would probably have not been able to do it, (I was induced too, and ultimately ended up having a c-sec) because I have quite low tolerance level for pain. So I guess it really depends on what your tolerance for pain is.

All the best, wish you a safe, healthy delivery :)

7. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Its definately doable. In my first pregnancy I was scared and worried like you so told Dr to give epidural. But in second I was dialated 9 and half by the time I reached hospital so no time for epidural. Epidural has some side effects like back pain (I m not sure 100%). Natural is best they say. More pain you take faster it will be. Natural delivery proved best for women's long term health. But if you give up during labor then you can ask for it.

1 person likes this.
  8. ctmom

ctmom Senior IL'ite

Congratulations Butterflie!!:2thumbsup:

If your doctor suggests epidural, I don't think there's any harm going with it. Though not since time immemorial but so many women are doing with it as well...it makes the delivery process much more comfortable both for the mother and the baby. With epidural you're more likely to remember it as a pleasant experience rather than painful :) I had epidural myself and my delivery is a happy memory for me.
    Lots of sleepless nights ahead...so you'll have your share of pain...why increase it? laugh1smiley

Just a tip in case you decide to go for epidural...in some time after delivery you'll be able to move your feet but won't feel the pain...try to keep moving your legs slowly at that stage...you can do it because you'll not feel the pain but it increases the blood circulation, so makes recovery quicker...I had a c-sec and it helped me a lot.

Good luck with the delivery!!

9. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Yes, it is doable no doubt. But would you have your teeth pulled out without anesthesia or have an operation without one ? Or refuse medical interventions of all kinds because they are not natural ?

Yes, as with everything else there may be side-effects out of which some are over-hyped. But childbirth itself is a risky process.

minn1, yellowmango and janbornchild like this.
  10. yellowglass1

yellowglass1 Junior IL'ite

hello,
    congrats for coming so far in pregnancy.
    since time memorial women do without epidurals,induction,cuts. No other species apart from mankind has labour pains. i havent heard of any labour pains or screams from dogs,cats,cows at all. nature has not given any pain to women also in labour, but as we go far and far away from nature , we experience pains.
    the body itself releases painkillers much stronger than those administered in epidurals but only if we do not mingle in this natural process.

try to remain calm and stress free when water breaks or contractions begin because if you feel fear the body naturally triggers the protective action of releasing adrenaline, to deal with that fear. Adrenaline interferes with the body's release of its own natural pain control system, 'endorphins'. It also can slow or stop contractions and at times possibly distress the baby by reducing blood flow to the uterus.

I am in my 23rd week and searching of a homely atmosphere nursing home with emergency c-section facilities.
    c-section is a major surgery and recovery period is much longer. try to avoid that as much as possible. c-section rates are about 50% in major hospitals. be clear with ur doctor beforehand. once cesarean always cesarean which city u r in?

1 person likes this.