1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Villains make life interesting

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jun 10, 2014.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

My daughter went to a movie along with her friends, paying a bomb for the multiplex ticket. When asked about the movie, she said that it was so boring. Probed further, she said that there was no plot, everybody was goody- goody and the characters were unrealistic. There were visible signs of fatigue in her body language which said it all.

On the other hand there is a Tamil serial ‘Nadaswaram’ (for those interested]which has clocked 1060 episodes over 3 years. The serial is kept simmering thanks to the machinations of and harsh words exchanged between four women and two men. Just as you feel the serial is losing track, some villainous activity takes place and your interest is skilfully rekindled. This serial would have died a natural death but for the villainous characters-not hard core villains but basically good men and women who change their approach to a situation out of impulse or indiscretion.

Do we not come across such characters in our day to day life? While we enjoy movies with such characters, why do we grumble when we face them in our daily life and bemoan that such things happen to us only. Life becomes dull without challenges. When we emerge successfully out of ordeals thrust on us by known and unknown enemies, our joy knows no bounds.

My friend’s daughter in her forties faced a peculiar problem. Her husband started suspecting her fidelity. The husband moved out of the house to a guest house and used abusive and vulgar language while talking to his wife. The wife was upset but did not lose her composure. She went to the bank, post office etc. and made sure that the husband could not wipe out the savings in their joint account. Incidentally she was also working and earning well. When my intervention was sought, I caught the bull by the horns and met the husband. He complained that his wife was at the window when a youngster in the opposite house had his window open. Did he see this and did he see her talking to the youngster-I asked. No –he said but his colleague who passes through their house had seen it on a number of occasions. He vouchsafed that his colleague was dependable and was regularly repaying the instalments for the loan he had taken. I then confronted the wife with this accusation. Unperturbed, she replied that she perspired a lot and always kept her window open. She also said that she had objected to her husband loaning money to his friend and on one such occasion his friend had overheard her. She suspected this to be the motive for spreading canards about her. I confronted the friend and told him that we would file for divorce citing mental cruelty and name him as the main witness. I casually dropped the name of a big lawyer known for brow beating the witnesses. In the next two days the husband returned to the house and apologised to his wife. Not surprisingly they celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary last year. The unsavoury episode has only strengthened their affection for each other.

I have to share an interesting article that I recently received by email. It reads somewhat like this.

“Are you a carrot, egg or coffee bean-the question is asked. When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean? You decide. Am I the carrot that seems strong but with pain and adversity in boiling water do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength? Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit but after losing a loved one, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial: have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and a hardened heart? Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavour. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and dynamically change the situation around you.’”

This article has important lessons for all of us. When adversity knocks at our door, we should ask ourselves the coffee bean question This will help us to handle the situation with imagination and composure.

sindmani, vsharma, sushmavja and 11 others like this.

2. Anjelin

Anjelin Gold IL'ite

Lovely snippet..[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
    Remembered the Japanese fish story, where sharks (VILLAIN) are introduced in tanks so that the fish in the tank are always on move and remain fresh.

[/FONT]

3. mrunalini01

mrunalini01 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Fine Narration

Agree with you, Life becomes dull without challenges.

Enjoyed reading your snippet.

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

You made me wonder whether I am a carrot, egg or coffee bean. Interesting question. A good goal to aspire to.

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Anjelin,
    Thanks.Life becomes dull without challenges.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mrunalini,
    Thanks.Challenges and winning them over add spice to our life.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    I have come across inspiring people who have overcome adversity to be recognised in their chosen field.We have seen sportspersons being pulled down by unknown forces but come out successful by the sheer dint of their efforts.
    Regards
    Lkahiminarayanan

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

LN Sir,
    Not only those couples were happy at last, by your act, .but we are also happy to know how you handled the situation between the couples. Hats off to your skill, Sir!

You know my daughter, while she was watching some children's serial some years ago, commented that Villians look cuter than the heroes. Villians always are eye catchers with their dress and make-up.

When Villians are present in our family, we really don't like them for sure..but from now on should think that they are our 'admirers' who bring out the best in us..:)
    Am I trying to be a coffee bean don't know..:biggrin2:

Sriniketan

9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear LN Sir,

If there is no challenge, we will feel like fish out of the water. Our strength and courage become known to us and others only when we face challenges. Here at home, we watch Mahabharath serial in Vijay TV every day and if we take out Duryodhan and Saguni out of this serial, this TV program would have failed long time back. These two characters bring the best out of Pandavas.

I used to work for a software company until 2001. I had two of my peers who were really hostile to me as I was entrusted with different types of roles every year making my career valuable. When I left that job, I realized that without these two gentlemen, my determination to succeed would have taken a beating. When challenged, our lives take us through the path that is paved with gold.

Viswa

10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sriniketan,
    As you rightly said villains bring the best in us.Many of us become eggs and take an irreversible position against some one who has harmed us but take the coffee bean position when we hit a road block.
    Thanks and regards
    Lakshiminarayanan