Storing grains and cereals

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by timmycoffee, May 17, 2014.

1. timmycoffee

timmycoffee New IL'ite

Hi

I like to know how can I store the following without getting any worms or weevils in them.

1. Sooji/ Rawa - I store it outside in air tight containers and only a 250 gm packet is broken..i still see worms in just 2 days
    2. Rice - I store it outside in air tight containers and only ao 1 kilo packet is broken. Havent seen anything yet but want to be careful. i usually finish a 1 Kg in 1 week.
    3. Coriander seeds - I store it outside in air tight containers and a only a 250 gm packet. Havent seen anything yet but want to be careful. i usually finish it in 3 weeks.
    4. Chapati Atta - I store it outside in air tight containers and only a 250 gm packet only ao 1 kilo packet is broken. Havent seen anything yet but want to be careful. i usually finish a 1 Kg in 3 weeks.

I dont like the idea of pre frying it or storing in the refrigerator. Appreciate any other solutions to keep the worms and weevils away. I stay in a warm climate of 35-40 degrees celsius.

Hope to hear your advice

TIMC

2. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

HI Timmy,

You can roast rava, coriander store it , roasting prevents from worms. Chapathi atta doesnt get spoiled so easily but to be precautious add a spoon of salt to it and store well in air tight container.

3. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

Hi Timmy,
    I add a couple of bay leaves in my suji or dry spices.