Suggest me in choosing an Elective..

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Harmony, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Harmony

Harmony New IL'ite

Hello Friends,

I am a student pursuing Mba from annauniversity affliated college..I have a science back ground..Now i have to choose a right elective to build my career in the same..I am studying after a long break,this is very important to me ladies,kindly give your suggestions..
    I wish to take HR-Finance...But no idea how will i get preference when i look for a job n how far i will have knowlwdge when compared to other bcom students who have been studying accounts for years..My other option is HR-Marketing..Which s a safe option..Thanks in advance..

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.

2. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

Hai Harmony,
    Both marketing and finance are good in-demand courses...Even among both marketing people have wide career scopes. All private sectors look for marketing people than finance..I have heard even after one takes finance he/she should start from the base level like convincing costumers door to door and only then higher posts when looking for a job abroad in banking sectors, Marketing is also similar but that is not a must when one has staffs under.

3. sharmilay

sharmilay Senior IL'ite

Better you can choose HR-Marketing as your elective.

4. Harmony

Harmony New IL'ite

Thank you Preetha n Sharmila...I am still confused..Taking suggestions from everyone...Dont want to make a wrong decisions in my life anymore..So Analysing a lot...:)

5. littl

littl Platinum IL'ite

MBA is something in which u will see students from all kind of backgrounds to learbn Management (all subjects including accounts ) .. so don't compare with Bcom or any a/c background people..

follow this..

Finance - just need to be good at financial terms which u can learn in 1 year which is nothing but your 2nd year. :thumbsup
    need to be good in numbers.. + - * / caliculations etc etc :crazy

Marketing - just need to be a socially sound .. means active person like who communicate with "ALL" and make friends and really don't need to be brilliant aor best student but should be smart in communication and other useless things . :biggrin2:

HR - kinda marketing guy who can rule the others and where as in Marketing one shoud rule his/her service or product. :exactly:

so decide yourself ... and i wish u good luck for your future.. :2thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  6. Harmony

Harmony New IL'ite

Thank you Littl...Your words means a lot to me..

1 person likes this.
  7. littl

littl Platinum IL'ite

no problem ...! :)

8. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister Harmony

:welcome to IL family,

You have not mentioned if you are going to a regular college or distance mode, if it is distance mode, any specialization is one and the same.

It is better to opt for HR as there is lot of demand in the market and does not affect your base.

BTW what is idea about your career, which industry are you focusing, that is also important in choosing you specialization.

Hope you have not landed yourself more into confusion, you should be first clear as where you want land yourself in the career front, if you feel no, not my passion that is important I just need a salary then HR, Marketing for a woman may not fetch much jobs as equally men are also competitive in the bargain field.

Doing MBA finance without a finance/accounts background is not difficult at all, but the choice of jobs for a B.com, MBA finance will be a brighter option, so if it is just a job then only HR will be a best choice.

May be if you could answer my thoughts, I could be more precise as to what you would need ...

Best wishes.. May Sayee help you in deciding your course.

SAIRAM