1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to make study a joy for my kid

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by jananikrupa, Jan 9, 2014.

1. jananikrupa

jananikrupa Senior IL'ite

Hi Ilites,

My DD is 4 yrs old, studying in LKG. Nowadays she is always crying when I ask her to study (only max of 15 mins per day). Usually she would come with a smile whenever I ask to study, but not sure what has happened now.

Think she is afraid of studying, how to change this? and how to make her willingly to study.

I also relax myself saying this is just a phase and soon pass out.

P.S: I'm not taxing her to study, just wanted to imbibe the habit of reading daily which would be easy for her when she moves to higher grades

Regards,
    Janani

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

well,Janani,
    your intentions may be good but as it seems to be stressing out the child .

do you make her sit immedialtely after she has come from school like after giving her food...........
    do you put conditions like no playing till you finish your work.......
    do you scold her for bad work
    do you use physical punishment if her work in not up to your standard.........

I am so glad that you want to inculcate life long love for knowledge ...........remember education is not only in books but in life............

give her enough time to de-stress after school.......
    let her play a lot
    limit TV time to only weekends.
    see that she is getting enough rest.........if she goes to school early in morning then let her nap for an hour after coming from school.

and yes,she is too young to be disciplined to study everyday.....that should come by age 8 yrs or so when they do understand why they need to do something.....till then they do because Mom says so .........

1 person likes this.
  3. jananikrupa

Hi Mahajanpragati,

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm a working mother, I will come home around 7.00 PM.
    DD reaches home by 12.30 PM, eats food and then sleeps. She also plays with neighbour kids in evening. so she gets enough sleep and play time.

When I come home, immediately she will say I wont study today, I will study tomorrow. This disturbs me a lot.

I'm not a very strict mother. I have realised spanking her or harsh words only makes her worse, so I will never opt those methods for make her read. I have to cajole her a lot to study.

Nowadays she is happy if dont ask to study.If ever I ask her to study, immediately crying episode begins.

Other than this she is a very active and smart kid.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

Janani,

I understand that you want to use the time you have with her productively but she on other hand wants to just spend time with you.........why don't you try to find other ways of teaching like'I need to make R..I..C..E.....What is RICE,rice.........or bring
    B L U E plate for salad B L U E......so on.tell her story as you cook or do something else......
    play some educational games...Ludo is excellent way to teach addition or Scramble for making small words(though 4 is too young to learn spelling & so but in India the kids are being taught this whereas here in SA my 5 yrs old is yet to learn Alphabets)

1 person likes this.
  5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Tricking my son to study was how it worked for me.:hide:
    Well I know many say dont bribe them,but i did and slowly got him off that habit too.
    He was 4 and had home works to be done.So I bribed him with chocolates for exactly one week,by the end of one week i had reduced the number of chocolates he got.And slowly he got to the habit of doing homework on his own.

1 person likes this.
  6. padmaja909

padmaja909 Platinum IL'ite

and how to make my teenager study :drowning everyday verbal arrows are exchanged with him........:bonk

7. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

What do you want her to study? Are you asking her to recite alphabets or numbers from books?

May be you need a different approach for same result. Please specify what you want her to study and then I have few ideas which worked well for my kids.

8. jananikrupa

Hi anmol,

I want her to enjoy studying and not think studying is a burden/punishment.

As she in her LKG, I want to her write alphabets/number and recite numbers. Making her do homework has become a pain nowadays. I also want to introduce tamil alphabets to her and improve her coloring.