1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can a HOUSEWIFE be inspiration/role model to others??

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by abc00, Sep 25, 2010.

1. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

I suggest we start referring to women as "HOMEMAKER" not housewife, cause they make a house, home. One of my school teachers corrected me when i said 'my mom is a housewife '

1 person likes this.
  2. suzii

suzii Bronze IL'ite

very inspirational

3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

This everlasting debate about working-notworking ...

There are situations when you are not able to work. Be it a visa issue, unemployment, day care challenges, a child needing special attention.

As long as you take care of your financial stability (pension fund or similar, owning part of property), enforcing at home some kind of division of the chores (so children do not grow up thinking that only women can cook/do laundry/cleaning) and giving the kids a positive picture of working/being active in the society.

1 person likes this.
  4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I understand the need to feel good about ones choices..I never understood the driving force behind undermining other's choices.

3 people like this.
  5. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

For some people, the former is not achievable without the latter. Yet another case of women making life harder for other women.

What's really sad is how women had to fight for the right to work outside of the home, and now we have to fight for respect for only working inside the home.

4 people like this.
  6. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

A good one! Why not? I am a grand ma now, but was pleasantly surprised to hear one of my neighbors mention to my new DIL during the wedding reception, that "Your MIL is a good role model for us"! What was the surprise? She and her husband were busy doctors, and me, a housewife, keeping busy is various useful ways.We hardly found time to interact, and our respective daughters were the only connection, of same age group and attending the same school.

7. attentivegirl

attentivegirl Silver IL'ite

My mother, a housewife....Always an inspiration for me

1 person likes this.
  8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear abc00,

Congratulations for the nomination of your thread to the FP for the year 2013!! The thanks should go to Viswamitra!

I particularly mention the year because you strated this thread on September 24, 2010. It was nominated that year successfully and received lots of accolades. Then again, the thread was repeatedly nominated in 2011! For some reason, it slipped the attention of our IL'ites in 2012 and now, almost towards the end of 2013, it appeared promptly once again in the FP forum! :) A record of sorts must say!!

Goes to prove that when one makes a good point and writes a good post, it will always remain evergreen in our pages and will be read and re-read and appreciated. So that makes you a true winner hands down! Congrats again!!

L, Kamla

sindmani and Induslady like this.
  9. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Kamla, thanks for the renomination of this post for FP and special thanks to Viswamitra.

The term 'homemaker' might have been prevalent in USA since years but for Indian women generations ago, this was not known and housewife was the term....and when they used this term, it meant only the women who stay at home to take care of family.

Many people said that they look up to their grandma or moms are role models. Even I do. Over the years this scenario has changed. When women prefer to stay at home out of their choice and feel happy about it...but that was not the case with me. I did not want to be a SAHM for my own personal reasons.

For working women, taking care of their family is as important as for a homemaker and both the women might be doing it equally good but a working woman has an additional reward in the form of money and recognition. Those who argue that money is not everything or say that there will be job stress too - we need a different thread for that topic. Those who feel that even homemakers get rewards in many forms like a happy family - we need a different thread for that topic.

I want to make it clear one more time that when I wrote this, I noticed that in groups or parties, people would give importance to working woman that those who did not. The groups would be scattered into two- one group of SAHMs discussing about kids, school, homework etc and the other group - about jobs, managers, pay etc. When SAHMs talk about some tv soaps, the other group would say they do not have so much time to watch such shows.

This could be a never ending debate. I wrote what I experienced at that time. I wanted to stay happy and I made an effort to see the difference.When I appreciate SAHMs about how well they teach values to kids or how organised they are, many feel good about it. I want to give that moment of happiness to others in a similar state. I hope it helps.

sindmani, Induslady and pandora like this.
  10. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

ok, i just got a PM that this thread is now going in a different direction with some of my recent posts. let's get back on track!

i think anyone who does a fabulous job in whatever they choose is an inspiration.

3 people like this.