1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Rice Sticking to base

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Apr 23, 2008.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

When I cook rice in Electric rice cooker it sticks to the base of the cooker.

I am thinking about coating it with little oil.

Any tried tested remedies there ? Could it be because the coating has worn out a bit on the base ?

Also I would like to know, when food sticks to non-stick pans, what can we do. A friend of mine suggested brushing the base with oil or spraying oil, which helps to some extent. How do you all prevent food sticking to base while frying ? And while we wash them, one cannot scrub, so what can we do ?

Thank you ladies :)

2. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

yes...it always happens atleast after a few months of usage..All these days I have been blaming myself for not maintaining the stuff...but ..hey now I understand that it is happening for everybody...

As a solution I keep water in the nonstick vessel...keep rice to be cooked in another vessel that would fit in ...and cook ..keeping an eye...

This is working for me so far...although I need to be eyeing around...better than changing my cooker every year...

Pls let me know if u find any solution...

3. rsa

rsa New IL'ite

I used same the idea of your friend, ie brushing the base with oil. It helps a bit.

While you wash, put some water and leave it for sometime, and use PLASTIC item to scratch the residue.

The reason you have told for sticking is correct, I noticed this, When my cooker was brand new, no sticking. Once the coating has gone, started sticking.

Keep cooking, Keep Sticking and Keep cleaning !!!!Harhar

4. sirishayakkala

sirishayakkala New IL'ite

Hi,

just add little bit ghee to the rice while cooking ...it comes out well ..it won't stick to the base...

5. jacintha

jacintha New IL'ite

hi,

even iam using a electric rice cooker for years, it happens normally. but using correct quantity of water and adjusting the timings accordingly would help a little bit.

6. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Thnx for the idea... My rice stcisk to base even in pressure cooker. I made Milk Kheer and pongal..Each time it was burnt beneath...Any suggestions there ?

7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dearmost Meens
    Sorry to hear these cooking problems. I can share what has worked fo rme.
    I use electric cooker for rice. the trick is to use correct measurements. also I switch off once its cooked and do not let it goto warm mode. If I need to keep in warm mode for pulao etc.. I spray oil in bottom.
    For milk kheer and pongal I rarely cook directly in cooker. I use vessel inside cooker.
    But those times that I have used directly, I switch off on time, make sure there is adequate liquid etc.
    Hope these help:)

8. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Ac,
    Thanks for the replies. I shall try the same :)

9. skavi

skavi Senior IL'ite

Hi
    Using my Electric rice cooker from past 2 yrs + , never had problem , I think Add right amount of water is a must , mine sometimes it will be in warm for almost 1 + hrs but never got burnt....

my measurement for 1 cup of rice, Add double cups of water +1 cup more,

For Ex: 2cups of rice, add 4 cups of water +1cup of water

Skavi