1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

US MOMS: What are the absolutely required things for new born?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by uma321, Sep 24, 2013.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks JustAnotherMom! we recently moved to a new city and don't have any close friends here (except few acquaintance). So I highly doubt we receive any gifts from friends.

We don't have plans to buy baby monitor either.

1 person likes this.
  2. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

If not a crib, you could buy a graco play yard. It has a bassinet and a flat surface to sleep on.
    Baby monitors use depends on parents. My SIL previously lived in a one level home and she used it. She would put the baby to sleep in one room and go have dinner with the monitor beside her.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Diapers- YES Just buy size Zero few. You may need bigger size later
    Toddler Car seat (after 1 year)- Rule is after 2 yrs. You should buy way later
    New born Car seat cum carrier (upto 1 year)- Try to see if you can buy convertible they can be used as Toddler seat too I believe.
    Baby Carrier (Baby K’tan (modified wrap carrier) a wrap carrier (like the Moby) or Mei Tai over a Baby Bjorn or ERGO)- I love Baby Bjorn
    Sling for sleeping (eg: fisher price newborn rock and play sleeper)- Not sure about the longterm use. May be some experienced Mom can say. I used Graco Pack and Play
    12 onesies, 12 sleepers, a few pair of socks, a few hats, and 4-6 blankets- YES
    Diaper wipes- YES
    Humidifier- Not sure if you need this in Texas climate. I got one late in december when DD got cold.
    Breast Pump (Will have only 6-8 weeks leave. So, breast pump will be absolutely required in my case)- MEDELLA PUMP IN STYLE ADVANCE ( Love this )
    Diaper bag YES
    Baby wash YES
    Vaccum – What is this?
    Burp Clothes _ YES
    Baby rash cream (eg: Budreauxs Butt Paste) _ YES ( I used Desitin)
    Formula (for emergency)- DONT BUY. You get lots of sample from Hospital. Not all babies like one formula. You may have to try different to see what Suits. So start with Hospital Feebies
    Bathtub Yes
    Baby moisturizer Yes
    Few new born toys YES
    Lanolin (Lansinoh HPA Lanolin 1.41 oz) YES & YES
    Baby laundry detergent _ YES ( I used Tide plain free scented. It comes in white container)
    baby footed sleepers (1 or 2) _ NO IDEA
    Infant Tylenol (buy dye free infant tylenol)- You dont need this immediately. May need after 2/ so months. Dont buy now.
    Infant gas drops _ I would not buy until your Paed says.
    Boppy pillow- YES LOVED IT.
    Waterproof pads (if we put the baby in the mattress) - YES
    Baby bottle cleaners YES
    Baby hand wash WHAT IS THIS?
    Baby oil- I used EVOO. No special oil. I am against Johnson & Johnson now after all those news about it.
    Baby shampoo- YES
    Baby Thermometer _ YES. Need to buy one that can be Rectal too.
    Breast pads – Didnt use it. Buy it and see if you need it. Otherwise return it.
    Bath Towel – YES HOODED ONE
    Nursing Bras- YES (Got cheap from Walmart)
    Bibs- YES
    High chairs or booster seats for feeding (after starting solids and after the infant started sitting)- DIDN BUY IT UNTIL DD WAS 10 Months. Managed with Bouncer. Now its hardly used.
    Baby bouncer (very helpful when we need to do errands in the house)- my DD 2.5yrs still loves it. Yes also JUMPER.
    Umbrella Stroller (after 2 years)- YES.
    Nipple Shield- I Would be against it.
    Glider ottoman- May be
    Witch hazel pads (After delivery)- Not sure.
    nose asperator- Oh Ya. Comes as as set with nail clipper etc.
    pacifier for feeding medicines- NO

2 people like this.
  4. Chitravivek

If youre in apt you dont need Monitor. My Personal experience. I have necer used one. Cribs are good if you prefer Baby to sleep separate. My DD was always in her room

1 person likes this.
  5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Hi Uma,
    It's a pretty good list already. Few of my comments:

Diapers- Don't buy a lot yet, we bought lot of nb size and my son was big enough to go in size 1 after 4 days.

New born Car seat cum carrier (upto 1 year)- Chicco keyfit 30 travel system is great

Baby Carrier (Baby K’tan (modified wrap carrier) a wrap carrier (like the Moby) or Mei Tai over a Baby Bjorn or ERGO)- I liked Baby bjorn up to 6 months, after that Ergo is the way to go

Sling for sleeping (eg: fisher price newborn rock and play sleeper)- I'd prefer crib as other suggested

12 onesies, 12 sleepers, a few pair of socks, a few hats, and 4-6 blankets- you will need more onesies in several sizes, don't buy very many nb rather go for 0-3 mo size

Diaper wipes- not necessary, wet paper towels work way better. Our Oed recommended paper towels.

Breast Pump (Will have only 6-8 weeks leave. So, breast pump will be absolutely required in my case)- also buy lot of breast milk storage bags, I like Lansinoh, up & up work well too

Diaper bag- I never used mine. A backpack is better option

Formula (for emergency)- no need to buy, you'll get from hospital and decide later if you need more

baby footed sleepers (1 or 2)- more than that, 5-6, also halo sleep sacks are great

Infant gas drops- trust me there is no scientific evidence that these drops work, only anecdotal, we didn't use, practice burping him/her after every meal

Boppy pillow + covers

Waterproof pads (if we put the baby in the mattress)- no need, diapers are great
    Baby bouncer (very helpful when we need to do errands in the house)- it is a life saver :)

Nipple Shield- no idea what this is, never used

Glider ottoman- buy around 7 months of pregnancy, great thing

Witch hazel pads (After delivery)- not necessary, cold packs work well

nose aspirator

pacifier for feeding medicines- hmmm, up to you, if you want to give the baby a paci, we didn't and never felt need for it.

I will add crib + crib sheets, play mat, board books, crib mobile and for you- What to expect- first year of the baby book, great resource for all your questions.

Enjoy,
    M

2 people like this.
  6. wherenext

wherenext Junior IL'ite

I just had my baby 3 months ago and believe me a lot of things you have mentioned is not necessary..i would advice you to think again and buy only thngs that are absolutely necessary.
    lots of Diapers
    newborn dresses
    Car seat
    crib
    stroller
    baby carrier/sling - a good buy if u do plan to go shopping etc alone
    thermometer
    Wet wipes - buy lots
    a baby bath tub
    a diaper changing table or even a sheet would do
    a musical mobile for crib
    diaper rash cream
    Baby bath lotion
    Baby moisturiser
    Hooded towels
    wash cloths

7. desichick123

desichick123 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the list dears..I am going to use this too..

8. GSAnusha

GSAnusha Gold IL'ite

Uma, I have no experience in this.. but wowww such an extensive list!!
    Thank you so much for this, will make use in the future :)

9. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Does anyone find baby carriers useful? Something like this one? I would have thought it necessary. Gifted one to my friend. Don't know whether she uses it or not.

1 person likes this.
  10. Chitravivek

Yes I have used it a lot with my first one. I loved it.. It cant be used long term but whenever we went for walks we used it instead of strollers.. I loved it and its easy too

2 people like this.