1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Terrorists on Two Wheels

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Oct 12, 2013.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

"Hey! What?!!!" His eyes popped out of their sockets and hit the glasses which was wearing. Just as well, or else they would have burst out of the windshield of the car! His jaw dropped. Mercifully the two were joined together at the joint!

A split second later there issued a hysterical laughter - relief, shock at the realization, amusement at what he saw and at what he thought at first he saw.

We had halted at a pedestrian crossing and something in pink darted across. It was covered in zebra like stripes.(Did he think only zebras crossed at zebra crossings?! :shock) Nothing like anything we had seen before. It was carried on two legs. Suddenly it dawned on the BH that this was the female of the human species that had decided to cover her entire face except to leave a slit for the eyes (something akin to a post box opening) with a pink striped scarf. For a moment he thought this was some new species of fauna he was seeing and wondered what it could be.

Ha! I wondered what he would do in a place like Pune. One of the first thing that strikes one is that every second girl who drives a scooter covers her face in that manner to protect her face and hair from the dust, grime and pollution of the street side. They wear long sleeved coats over their dresses and some even wear long gloves to protect themselves from getting sun tanned. One could be forgiven for mistaking it for a modified version of the hijab and burkha. But no, the reason for wearing is different.

Of course, I have always maintained that wearing a burkha, if it is a voluntary decision or in this case completely covering the face with a scarf, dark glasses and a helmet on top of that can be very liberating. Imagine, one can ogle at all the guys on the street without them being able to ogle back! :biggrin2:

There was some protest at one point of time saying that there should be a law against women covering their faces with scarves. Who knows, even terrorists could go around in the same garb and be mistaken for a harmless scooterist! Not to say that these women (moi included) on two wheels are not a variety of terrorists on the road. :-D Looks like Pune did not introduce that ban, but I read that it has now been banned in Madhya Pradesh for security reasons.

2190051348_7ef7d95ed4_z.jpg

I guess, more than security reasons, the male of the species felt cheated at not being able to see the pretty faces behind the scarves!

Whatever the reasons for wearing those scarves, I have always wondered how they feel comfortable covering their noses with those layers of cloth. How do they keep breathing that hot air inside those scarves? I wonder! But then our women are capable of anything and everything, aren't they?

8 people like this.

2. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Covering oneself from head to toe is actually not that uncomfortable on a hot summer afternoon when temperatures are around 40 degrees C or above, with very low humidity as well. In fact, it's better than having your face and hands exposed to the hot wind ! However, as far as two-wheelers are concerned, I thought that helmets were mandatory ?

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Sweetypi, helmets according to the law are mandatory everywhere. But the law is not imposed strictly in most places.

4. rsk11584

rsk11584 Silver IL'ite

yeah common in pune, aurangabad cities, now i do the same in chennai, as the outside weather is too hot + accumulation of dust on face + hands / face become black (tanned) due to exposure to sun repeatedly, , it is better to cover the full face with kerchief rather than find a restroom at every stop and wash your face with water,, since i am a boy i leave the eyebrows out, ie use only kerchief to cover the face, now planning to buy a bandana (big kerchief) and cover my full face except eyes,, coz i wear glasses,, and while driving to avoid dust,, during evening times helmets are the best.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear SAtchi,

do u know we sell these scarves in thje length of 110 cms by the width which is also 110 cms. These are our wastages, some of the finest printed and dyed cottons. We sell it for say 10 to 12 bucks, and they get sold for like 40 bucks and above at retail levels.

Even having AC in my car, i like to have my windows open for fresh air, even today, and these ladies feel the air is polluted ? i think they dont want to be recognized, as most are with boys on two wheelers, and even theior own parents cannot recognize them on the streets.otherwise i feel there is no reason to have these scarves.

And yes the terrorists too can move like this.And jaipur is full of all these ladies wearing scarves.HAHA

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

Hi Ravi,

I remember my mom telling me to cover my face to protect it, but I used to feel awkward doing that. I preferred wearing a helmet with a dark vizer - only disadvantage being that it was difficult to see through those in the dark. So evening times one had to lift the vizer and have insects hitting one's eyes! I once got an insect into my eye and one eye was massively swollen for the rest of the day!

7. satchitananda

Kamalji, trust you to find out a reason for women wanting to wear such gear. Wonder why they don't wear a helmet. It is easier. But then I have seen some women wearing all this and then a helmet on top of that.

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satchi in these matters the men's instincts are pretty strong. T covered faces or uncovered ones, they know who is ogling at them. I think it is very unfair to make ogling an one way traffic.In countries like France, covering of faces in public places is forbidden. Because robbers tended to enter banks and rob them and escape unnot8ices in burkhas. and police kept racking their brains about the criminals' gender. You see face coverings are very sinister. It is an ideal way to get away with murder literally. As for Pune, the city can confound any new arrival. In many areas there are no traffic lights yet people (Including women, almost everyone of whom seems to have at least a scooter or moped ) just fly on roads without c ausing an accident.

1 person likes this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sats
    It only takes you to take on such an hilarious take on this.
    Enjoyed it very much.

Truer words never uttered.

Guess they'd rather suffocate than breathe the foul air!

2 people like this.
  10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear sats,

so these women adorn it so that they can do what is otherwise considered the sole prerogative of men...Ogle ??? I never thought of it that way. Kudos to you for coming out with such a positive heart warming interpretation :thumbsup

BTW, if anyone wants these scarves I can get them... in any colour, fabric ,design and even customised ones :))))

2 people like this.