How to cook Thinai rice (fox tail millet)

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by manjubashini, Sep 17, 2013.

1. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

@ Magee : nice to see your post after so many days.....where are you dear? will definitely watch that program hereafter, thanks for your info, your ladoo lookes so yummy :)

1 person likes this.
  2. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Manju, glad to know it was successful..very happy...

1 person likes this.
  3. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Magee,yummy ladoo..share the recipe in VF(comments) thread..I too watch the program occasionally...my fav one..but with the 2 little brats I forgot the time when the program gets telecasted..:(

1 person likes this.
  4. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Machan, will try curd rice in samal..I usually make kanji(like our rice kanji) with these millets..make veg curry as side dish for that..it will be a lunch for me and DH..such a simple,healthy , delicious food..my fav..I make sweet pongal too..we can make anything which we usually make with rice with these millets ..millet rava pongal,kichadi,halwa,kozhukattai,pal kozhukattai,idli,dosai,adai anything..you name it, we can make with these millets.even I read in book that someone made faluda in kudhiraivali(barnyard millet)...

Girls,anybody reading AARAM THINAI from Ananda vikatan(a tamil magazine)...I love the way Dr.Shivaraman handles this issue..He talks very clearly why we have to switch over to our very old food culture..so if possible read it friends..

1 person likes this.
  5. machan

machan Platinum IL'ite

I have read AARAM THINAI..and I am fan of that article.He has clearly describing about our old food culture.because of that only I have started to use Millets..Its worth reading

6. tlsriman

tlsriman Silver IL'ite

Do they have the videos of this jaya tv show in net for us to watch in our own convenience?

7. tlsriman

tlsriman Silver IL'ite

I have tried with kambhu(Bajra) and the dosa/idly flavour is very good & no change in taste.
    My version of this is posted @http://www.indusladies.com/forums/i...ion/234631-pearl-millet-bajra-kambu-dosa.html

Also i have made dosa's with grounded floor of tinnai or samai:kambhu:wheat in the proportion of 1:1:2. This instant dosa can be made with required floor mixed water,salt,pepper powder(or red/green chillies). If you want it more crisp add red rice 1/2 proportion(note the color will change a lot). It

8. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

Instant dosa's it's nice i wud love to try sometime. Thanks sriman.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I made oats laddoo for navarathri. made barley idli recently, ragi dhokla, thinai pulao, kudiravali bisibele bath, brown rice kozhukattai. urad dal+kambu adai, also ragi ladoo..

1 person likes this.
  10. yasskamal

yasskamal Bronze IL'ite

We use kambu rice, thinai dosa, varagu dosa, kuthiraivali pongal(its very yummy one with sambar), in sometimes rice for our lunch menu.