1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

It happens only at In-laws's house

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by coolpinky, Mar 6, 2013.

1. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

MIL Sulking about her SIL:

MIL : Of the 4 children one of SIL's daughter really supports her blindly, we really need to be careful while talking to her mother in her presence.
    Me : Ok but out of 2 of your children, both support you BLINDLY.
    MIL : Witsend:oops:, din't he object when I littered at a tourist place....
    Me : I think he was more worried about the penalty charges and consequences of being an IDEAL indian son, he had an office to report to.

MIL : When SIL's DIL goes out, the SIL is very cunning.... gives OFF to cook, how stupid, is the cook not going to charge them for the entire month.
    Me : Ok but din't you give off to my cook when I was away with kids??? Ain't you all oldies alike?
    MIL : :oops:Witsend

5 people like this.
  2. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

To add to it, DS has air conditioned office but he is so sincere dedicated hardworking and bright that his seniors make him work very hard. Hence, no rest for DS. So he should come and straightaway switch on the tv, relax on the sofa and call for water.

But DIL does not have the above qualities no. And in any case, her "dharma" (duty) is to serve husband and his old mommy so she should come home, change and straightaway rush to kitchen to help MIL. :rant

Once, I came back from office and took about 15 mins in washroom since was in periods. Was feeling heavy cramps too. But went to the kitchen nonetheless and started working at slow pace.

Got the comment: What good is a DIL who takes an hour (exaggeration runs in the family) to freshen up. I have cooked veggies, you only have to do paratha and yet you are lagging behind.

(FYI - cooked veggies means cutting them and doing tadka, straight in the pressure cooker. Nothing more. Cleaning up after her huge task of making veggies, throwing the peels, putting back masalas, parathas, salad, raita and cleaning the kitchen is left to the DIL) :coffee

6 people like this.
  3. vgovinda

vgovinda Silver IL'ite

Yesterday evening:

I reached home from office tired, after crying the entire day for some rude comments made by MIL, got into discussions with DH over this, got convinced by him to put up with it, and as I enter here goes the dialogue

MIL: I went to meet my friends in the temple with this blouse having puffed sleeves
    DIL: Blinking [so what about yesterday's harsh words, and my crying??!!!]
    MIL: Everyone said it was so good
    DIL: [After reading this forum whole of yesterday] Oh yes Mummy ji, you look soooo young
    MIL: All my friends do eyebrows, manicure, facial and haircut. They know which parlour is the best. I am the only one who dresses so old. I am 60, I dress like 70. Others are 60, they dress like 50. They all wear megasleeves
    DIL: Oh!!! [thinking, megasleeves will only show mega sags at 60]. In my office also the bathroom cleaners dress so well, as if they are IT engineers, I dress as if I am bathroom cleaner :D

She did not get the sarcasm :D Thanks Ladies, your posts helped me to get over all the sly remarks that were haunting me for the past two days.

Later, I thought what a waste it is to be sensitive to these peoples words and cry the whole day, when they do not even have you in thier hearts for even one minute.

17 people like this.
  4. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

you must have said... "yes maa... "ONLY" paratas na... anyways you have completed the hard part of cooking. Am not feeling well, am gonna take rest. Do the rest of it too, I need to take some rest" and if possible, shout to ur dh.. "wake me up at dinner time" :-D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    5 people like this.
  5. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

Same here and if I voice out I am called rude, but I dont care. If i dont talk for myself no one else would. I have learned to put my foot at least in important circumstances.

6. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Another thread on this forum reminded me of the stress I underwent during pregnancy and post delivery. I could never feed my son. Whenever he would fall sick I would blame my inability to feed him. Till today I feel guilty. I don't know why.

7. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

dear parvathi, dont get upset for not able to feed ur son. delivery and post delivery experiences are different for all mothers.

1 person likes this.
  8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

DS (MIL's) knocks down a bowl of cornflakes from the table - he was super clumsy. Mil comes running out and starts shouting. It took me half a min to realize she was yelling at me for not placing it in the middle of the table instead of on the placemat! I jus raised my eyebrows gave a cloth to DH and said, clean it up.

18 people like this.
  9. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

:rotfl....:rotfl...:rotfl......
    smart woman!!

1 person likes this.
  10. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Oh! I get back from work and mil has a long face and starts screeching. After 5 min I realize it is at me and she is shouting since there was ants in the sugar dabba. Her complaint was I didn't shut it in the morning. I calmly said, "where did I use sugar in the morning? We were late for work and didn't want any beverage. You were the one who came running with tea for your son." Blink blink. She replies, "I must have been you somehow. I've been married for 35 years and this has never happened." Yes, sure. Length of your marriage is proof of having no ants in the sugar. I raised my eyebrows and left! All this happened 10+ years ago. Yet it's evergreen in my mind

10 people like this.