1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3 months old not drinking milk at night

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Rajapriyab, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Rajapriyab

Rajapriyab Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I am feeding my second DD who is 3 months old and she is not having milk at night for the past 1 week. She is urinating 3 to 4 times at night but sleeping like adults (11pm-7am). In between time if i force her to have she will drink it for 2 mins and then sleep.

My first DD used to wake up 2 or 3 times at night to have milk when she was 3 months old. But younger one is not at all having anything at night. Is it ok or i need to consult the doctor?

And one more thing, my second DD is putting her thumb in her mouth. So I am wrapping her hands with clothes but still she is doing that. How to stop this?

Earlier i thought since she is putting her thumb in her mouth thatswhy she is not crying for milk at night. but after wrapping, this got reduced but still she is not having milk.

Ladies, Please help me on this.

2. sanvi5

sanvi5 Silver IL'ite

Usually the first 2 months they should be fed 8-12 times in a 24hr period. But now since she is 3months old I think it is ok to sleep though out the night for 3months old. Looks like she herself got into a sleep schedule which is very nice and good for you too. You can also get some good sleep.

Is she taking enough milk before she sleeps at 11pm.Seems she is satisfied with the feeding otherwise they wont sleep that long. Make sure to feed her enough before sleep. If you really want to feed her in the middle of night wake her up at 2:30 in night for diaper change. She may wake up and you can feed her.Dont forcefully break her sleep.

Anyway check with the doctor too. Instead of 11pm-7am, I will say forcefully wake her up at 6am in the morning and feed her.

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Priya, 2 things here. Its OK for a 3 month old to sleep through the night without waking for milk. At that age, they wake up and cry if they are hungry. Dont worry about it.

Second thing is, I am not too sure about wrapping her finger to prevent sucking. I mean, from what I know, she is using that to comfort herself. so, please rethink about it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

At 3 months your feeding can be on demand.. My DD did it too.. I dont think its anything to worry if she pee and Poops corectly and is active..

Regarding thumb sucki.. gosh what can I tell you.. My DD does it at 2.5yrs now when she is asleep.. They should outgrow it hopefully

1 person likes this.
  5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Rajapriya
    if your baby sleeps through the night then i'll say you are lucky.Theres nothing wrong with it.And dont force feed baby.Thats not good for them,specially when they are asleep.
    Try nit disturbing baby when sleeping.A good sleep ensures good growth and good immunity.

now about your baby sucking thumb....i think its fairly common in babies to soothe themselves with this "non nutritive" sucking.But dont let it continue beyond the age of 1 as then it might effect their teeth alignment.
    Usually small babies themselves stop this habit.

@chitravivek

For you toddler try this link
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/toddlers/1484-how-stop-thumb-sucking-habit.html

though avoid the use of neem oil .

6. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Dinny,

Thanks. Believe me I have tried everything. She does it only during sleep at night and by trying things her sleep was disturbed so bad that she was cranky in the morning. Believe I tried all trick for 6 month at night. My Doc asked me to give up as its taking a toll on DD sleep.. He said she will eventually outgrow it.. Hope so :)

1 person likes this.