1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do I improve so that my child benefits?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by DGcreative, Sep 5, 2013.

1. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Dear All

I am absolutely tensed while writing this. As few know I stay with DH, DS & MIL. I work with DH in his office & though MIL is at home she isnt physically capable to look after my son & so till one year of his age we had a full time nanny....then due to circumstances had to put him in day care since he was 1.1 yrs.

Now my relation with MIL & SILs is just not good & coz of this I have a tough time trusting them. DS is 3.4 yrs & till date I havent left him alone at nights away from me. Since quite some time MIL tried to baby talk DS to come with her to native or to SILs place without me for stay which I havent allowed. Same with him staying at my parents place. I understand that not he but I have a separation anxiety problem & howmuchever I try to come out of it, I am not able to.........

Yesterday we were at a birthday party where DS was having tons of fun....but I noticed a couple of times that if I am away from him even for a second he became impatient & verge of crying...Ofcourse the party was in closed hall with lot of known people around but he was only searching for me.

Also every morning he asks with a very sad tone whether he has to go to school. Even at his day care sometimes he refuses & cries hysterically. Recently it has happened a couple of times that he has cried a lot for not wanting to go to day care.

I tried to read on separation anxiety & I came across an article where such a behavior is a disorder rather that a mere problem. I am dead scared as well as depressed. I am feeling I only have developed this feeling in him.

What should I do to help him come out of this anxiety?

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

DG
    Get to the root cause.
    Ask your son why he doesnt want to go to school/ day care.It may not be what you are concluding it as...the separation anxiety.
    If these developments are recent then definitely i'll point my fingers at the daycare/school.
    Ask your son about it.Hemight not tell you everything in one go.It'll come slowly and in bits and parts.

Now Children are attached to their mothers but its on us to make them more independent.
    Send him with your husband for shoppings or short outings occasionally. Just to check if hes fine when you are not around.Let him get confident.And then slowly he would stop searching for you.

10 people like this.
  3. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

If this is a recent behavior I would agree with Dinny that it is not separation anxiety rather something else. Yourself or DH do try to talk to him. Maybe something at daycare/school is troubling him, it can be anything someone bullying him or a teacher scolding him or simply his favorite teacher leaving the job and going. He seeks you coz he knows he is safe with you and by his side always and gets anxious if he does not see you. Just a possibility. Talk to him and you will find out the reason. A mother can sense whenever there is something wrong, trust that instinct and believe in your child.

4. DGcreative

Thanks Dinny. Its not a recent development. It did start since he started schooling last year. Play school dat is...He goes with his Dad sometimes & that time he is fine. I sometimes tease him that he didnt take me along but he just laughs it off.....its only when I am around that he wants to cling to me. About school I have had 4 sessions since start of this year.....they say once he is here he is fine...a lady from his day care who drops him to school. Once or twice for a change I thought of dropping him & it started since then....he would not leave me from school. This Independence day all kids were nicely queued up & DS clinged to me. I have spoken to his day care too. There are no problems there & they find him to be cute n naughty but no worries with him.

I have also tried speaking to him about why he doesnt like going to school or day care....he gives absurd answers... like once he said teachers dont give him books....One of his fav teachers has become quite friendly with me.... & she keeps telling me how nicely he did coloring or some small paper craft. So definitely there are no issues there.....

5. DGcreative

Trust me superwoman this motherly instinct is only telling me something is wrong. Last nite the way he was scared if I went away from his eyesight just for a second.....I dont want him suffer coz of my insecurities.

6. akshu02

akshu02 Senior IL'ite

Dear DGCreative,

I empathize with you and totally get your situation for the very reason that i am in the same state as you are in. My daughter who will turn 4 in December has always been with me. We dont stay in India and i was not working for about 1-1.5 years. My husband travels frequently. SO it has been just US. I have never even been to a movie leaving her worried that she might miss me. Now she will not leave me anywhere. It has gotten worse to a point where she wants to join me in the bath. I am so so worried about it. She doesnt like to go to school too. My parents are visiting us now. She plays with her grand-parents only if i sit beside her. Basically she doesnt leave me anywhere. I am tired sometimes due to this but i feel very bad and loaded with guilt that i brought her up this way.

I also welcome suggestions and ideas to help us out of this. I want my daughter to enjoy everything around apart from just being with me.

1 person likes this.
  7. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Hugs DG..dont feel very hard on yourself...Kids should be brought up by parents and should be with them other than some exceptional cases...so your point of not sending him to his granny is very correct..my opiniion...so dont worry about it...

somedays they might feel insecured and wanted to be with moms all the time..he might have gone through this phase..Ask him in his baby language whether he find in any difficulties in daycare/home etc..does anyone threatening him for anything..dont make him afaraid by asking all these questions in a row..take it very slowly..

this not-going-to-school syndrome is there for every kids..they wanted to enjoy all the coziness at home..even we elders have monday morning blues right..but they have it on all the working days :)..thats it..so once he becomes a big boy, he would love going school as like us...

so dont get tensed...calm yourself,think twice and move on...all the best...

1 person likes this.
  8. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Something really is going on in that little mind. Did you ever even jokingly tell him that you are leaving him? Give it some time, it will settle down, maybe just a bit insecure. Try to talk to him as to why he is feeling insecure.

Tell him and go if you are going anywhere even for some minutes, especially in public places, and tell him you will be back very soon. Ask him if it is okay. Tell him just because mom is not around he should not feel insecure, if possible suggest some elder persons name to whom he can talk to in case he needs anything. Tell him that he is safe where he is otherwise you would not go without him. For some days now try to feel why and when he is insecure. Is it at home or only outside in public places?

Most likely it is a result of being admitted to the playschool. He is missing the known environment he had before. For kids entering preschool is a big leap.

Try to talk to him very excitedly about the preschool and how grown up he is to go to a school, how he can play different things there and do things he has not done before. Tell him how his teachers there were praising him. Ask him what he likes doing the most in school. Also ask him if there is something that is bothering him, but first make him talk about things he likes otherwise he will not talk.

Just a passing phase. He will come out of it sooner than you think/imagine. Remember as parents we always try to do the best for them so do not doubt yourself.

1 person likes this.
  9. vanithasekar

vanithasekar Gold IL'ite

hi DG,

dont worry abouts kids clinginess in 3.4 yrs.. when he starts growing, he himself will become independent.. when he is 5 or 6 yrs, they will have own circle of friends and they will not come to us.. till that enjoy this phase.. kids need their mommy till 5-6 yrs..dont feel insecured or guilt.. Be happy that ur son is close to u...
    my daughter 5 yrs old is still clingy to me when iam around but i enjoy that.. she will come and sit in my lap always.. but situation will change as they grow older..

take care..

2 people like this.
  10. DGcreative

I seriously hope its just a phase. Thanks.