1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

is this normal??feeling depressed

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by stranger127, Sep 4, 2013.

1. stranger127

stranger127 Silver IL'ite

Hi all,
    I got engaged this Sunday & we were all happy that everything went v fine. During our chit chat sessions I asked my would be of how it all went. He was like there were many good things but food was not good. I did not yield to his complaint & instead explained how difficult it is to organize an event & some imperfections do happen. He told me that it is a v simple issue and it does happen in all marriages. Lets leave it & switched over.
    Now, I am supposed to leave today to my job town and so though of calling my would be MIL to inform her the same. My mom called her and even before my mom opened her mouth, the lady started yelling that she felt v ashamed since the food was bad in the function. None of her guests liked the food it seems. Instead of traditional south Indian food, we opted for fried rice/ buffet type food. We also asked for thier suggestions & they were OK with the emnu. All of our guests were very much satisfied. The point is the lady was yelling it again & again of how it let her down. Her guests told that they won’t come to the marriage it seems. Are guests supposed to come for food or to give their blessings? The lady did not give a chance to my parents to speak. She was continuously shouting of is this the way to make curd rice, no salt in rice blah blah..We are a highly educated family with high moral values & culture. I am a good looking, confident girl placed in a very reputed organisation. We think twice before speaking anything. We accepted to this proposal because the guy is soft spoken and very disciplined & matured. I had got alliance from really great families but we all felt that though the guy may not be financially or education wise that competent, he will make a good husband & so we relented. Would be MIL is uneducated house wife & a widow (My would be had not even seen his father) with two children. Elder sister & younger is my man. Elder sister is the one who made this alliance work. She used to call us regularly, talk very sweetly till the alliance was fixed. After that she is maintaining a sort of distance from us. Their side had twenty guests out of which one particular man was the most complaining. HE came to me & enquired so many things about my profession, parents etc & I could see jealousy in his talks. He tried to pull me down but I did not let go my confidence. This lady was very sweet from the beginning but the way in which she reacted yesterday is plainly too rude & my parents were not able to take the shock. But to me she was very sweet wishing me good health. She also questioned my parents as to why they were talking to her in front of me. She hung up the phone saying that she just spoke her heart out. But my parents were hurt. I am totally confused
    We tried reasoning out the exact reasons

1) Food is not good…fine...but this is not the way to express it. It depends on caterers..how can she accuse my parents? Its their function too. They did not spend a single penny nor did they help us out in anything.

2) I remember the guy saying that she will feel lonely & depressed as she has no one to talk. Even he does not talk much as he is busy though he loves her. She loves her son a lot & he is her world. Is it a sort of some psychological problem due to loneliness excessive pressure from relatives that she poured everything on us w/o thinking.

3) A single woman marrying off her innocent son to a really good family. Is it jealousy of her relatives?

We are planning to talk to the elder sister frankly & ask them clearly of their expectations. I felt really angry but my parents keep insisting that the guy is a gem of a person & it is ok to bear it for him. Is this normal in marriages? I am afraid of what would happen at this stage. Pl help…how to handle this?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

2. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

NO! It is not normal! Some people try hard to suppress their original character, but certain traits are hard to hide, it comes out pretty soon, and I guess thats what happened with your would be MIL. If before marriage she can be so rude, imagine what she could do post-marriage? I think you should have an open talk with your fiance and let him know how hurting it was of his mom to behave like that and that your parents need to be respected. See how he reacts? Is he defending her, asking you to ignore, or stands up for you? Depending on that choose your further actions.

I remember the guy saying that she will feel lonely & depressed as she has no one to talk. Even he does not talk much as he is busy though he loves her. She loves her son a lot & he is her world.

Somehow, I am not comfortable with this. But thats just me!

12 people like this.
  3. ransen

ransen Silver IL'ite

I could see so many red flags flying. Your would be MIL seems to be very dominant and very indecent. If she has this kind of depressed feeling because of loneliness then imagine your life after marriage. What is the "gem of a person"'s stand on this behaviour of his mom and relatives?
    If they are cribbing for "no salt in curd rice" now, then you can expect many such complaints in various degrees for the rest of your life. Please think seriously before committing.

4. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Do that...It's better to clarify all misunderstandings...Sometimes when v organize functions , something or the other does go wrong, and the typical attitude of groom's family is to b**** abt the arrangements...but that's no excuse to act in such uncivilized way...It's the mistake of the caterers, not ur parents...And it looks like some relatives are jealous ...they may have made unnecessary complaints and poisoned ur would-be-mil's mind against ur family...(I've been thru a similar situation though the exact thing dint happen)...After the discussion you may decide whether you want to go ahead with this alliance or not...And yes, as previous users have commented, there are red flags...If your MIl is lonely & needy, it's possible that she maybe an overbearing & interfering & possessive MIL...Now it all depends on what ur fiance says and how ur prospective in-laws respond during the discussion...

5. Maddy2087

Maddy2087 Platinum IL'ite

A BIG RED FLAG:

If you happen to marry this guy you will have to face the following life afterwards

1) MIL will try to poke her nose in everything
    2)She will try to make your life hell
    3)The guy being mumma's boy will never open his mouth and you will be left frustrated most of the times.
    4)You MIL, SIL and hubby might gang up and accuse your parents like "What have your parents done for us ,blah blah "
    5) They seem to be very demanding and may also demand a lot in the future.
    6)Not sure how the guy will behave after marriage. He might emulate his mother with respect to indecent behavior.

Since you are just engaged please don't fall into their trap. Burn all the anxiety, fear , worry and depression. You will definitely get a good person in life.Make your parents understand about the consequences if you marry this guy.

All the best. Keep smiling.

1 person likes this.
  6. sarada30

sarada30 Platinum IL'ite

yes i agree with others too. how a lady who is depressed behave like this for food and relatives do not attend for marriage for the reason of food????????

i think you should have an open talk as it is not at all normal. I see all my family members attending the functions and saying the food is awesome even though it is not at times.

i think it is not a good one as you will have many things to face in future..............

i wish you all the best

7. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

It's not normal. You will see bigger issues after marriage.

8. honeybunny123

honeybunny123 Senior IL'ite

Dear OP,

I have had to face similar situation during my engagement wedding and all major functions and now I dread at the thought of attending any function at my place as my mil and sil comes up with lots of drama. If your future in laws are rude to you before wedding itself and their treatment of your parents isn't good believe me it's never going to change .. It's a red signal , it's better to pull out of this alliance . My mil created issues regarding for my engagent, wedding my baby's functions etc etc... Even after 8 yrs of married I can other over her behaviour. You decide for urself now.. Getting married into a family who does not have respect for bride's family is better to be avoided... After sometime you'll lose your self respect and such people can never be happy with anything . Hope you are able to decide for yourself.
    Regards

1 person likes this.
  9. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Talk to the elder sister as per your plan and include the guy as well.Be clear on what you speak and see how it goes.

10. stranger127

stranger127 Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for the immediate responses..
    THere has been problems in marriage right from the beginning. We had adjusted to all of their demands since we found that those were not that crucial like date of marriage & venue of marriage. We found them to be really good people but now things are getting worser.
    One tricky situation is both of her children were not with her when she shouted. The guy went to work & the girl was in her in laws place. So how far they would accept & believe us is a big ?

In this juncture I really got restless and asked my mom to directly speak to the guy. He is a v patient listener. My mom explained him the situation & asked his feed back. He also straight on face told that he did not like the food but it is a small issue & we can manage it during marriage. My mom did not tell of all that the lady told & the guy told that he was not available at home when this happened. My mom also asked if this is the case now, how about after marriage? In case ppl dont like her cooking, & talk non sense Will you stand by my daughter or hurl her with all these...He assured her that he will take care of me & that she need'nt take this issue too seriously. THis problem has been happening in his house since sunday & he never revealed the intensity of it to me till now. He is very normal, v sweet as always but since I had seen my parents suffer I am not able to hide everything & talk freely to him.

The elder daughter has instructed the lady not to open her mouth. But the lady blurted out everything. She did not pick up the phone when my mom called her yesterday. My mom is determined to talk in a v sharp tone to the sister.

One more important thing is one of her guests is engaged with hall booking, catering business & it seems he is the one who complained the maximum. He gave my dad his contact details. Now the lady is telling that my dad should contact him regarding marriage & my dad clearly told a big no for this. He told whatever you want you people decide amongst yourself & tell us. He might get a big commission & hence he might have kindled it out.

What should I do now?