1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with friend's dad.

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by galwidpassion, Jun 10, 2013.

1. galwidpassion

galwidpassion Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

One of my friends visited me over the weekend. She appeared so sad and out of enthu. So i continously asked her what happened. She suddenly broke out. I was shell shocked to hear what she said. She is worried about her dad. I dont think worried is a right word here.

She thinks that her father is interested in watching females. Like in, when she visited home recently, she was going thru her dad's CD collection
    and there were lot of vulgar dvds. She has found similar things in his mobile also. He takes undue interest in females she says. Be it a neighbour or tenant, he talks more than required with the females rather than males.

One thing had upset me a lot. I couldn't believe it only. She said she wore a deep necked dress and she caught her father staring at you know what. She said there were many such instances like this and she is really worried. She also caught him staring at other women in bus or in public places.Her mom's health is not good and she cannot exactly discuss all this with her mom. She has an younger sibling but doesnt know if she can share these with her. So its like she is totally helpless.

What should she do now? She is very very upset. She is not married yet too. I could not console her only. I told we will think of something and cooled her for then. Pls advice

2. Vemala

Vemala Gold IL'ite

Hearing such things make you very very low.
    If your friend's father is only bread winner for entire family, your friend has to look out for jobs. These instincts will ruine entire family's life. you had mention she had younger siter too.

some times, you need to Act and not to react.

Mother always protect children. There is no harm is discussing with her(She might have observed all these and kept quiet to protect her family ). She will have some solution compared to any one since she will be seeing these acts from the begining of their life. Mom's love is always pure and can trust without any doubts. She is the only person can give 100% solution to this problem.

I really cant think of any other thing. If its brother/cousin/BIL or any one else, you can slap him . Dont know how to act here...

Only thing is, She can avoid him as much as she can. Let her not depend on him .

Thanks.

3. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

That's just awful! So absolutely pervy of him! To think that way of his own daughter whom he raised from her babyhood! Words fail me.

Please make sure your friend is safe in her own home, I wouldn't advice this normally but since the circumstances aren't exactly normal, I feel it's best for your friend to have as little to do with her father as she can and never alone with him.
    Or only communicate with him in the presence of other members of her family.

As for what else he does in his own time, like watching ****, that's his own business- he's an adult and the only one who should talk to him about it is his wife - ie, your friend's mother, assuming that your friend would want to let her mom know about her father's current exploits.

4. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

I wish that was always true. But if you check out stories of little girls who went through sexual abuse at home - a lot of them say the mother knew, and yet chose not to do a thing about it, for fear of losing the man or their current lifestyle.
    Even the mothers who were in the dark, when told about it, went to the extent of not believing their daughter and took the side of the man!

8 people like this.
  5. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

the most important thing to worry abt here is how to keep that younger sibling safer from a perverted man.

3 people like this.
  6. shaluk

shaluk Silver IL'ite

Tell her to be strong and always alert for both of them. Sister should be educated about good/bad touches and how to respond without getting shocked if such situation arrives, from any men. Then as slowly drop hints about fathers behavior. Tell her to get a job and move out asap, put sister in hostel or take with herself. I am pretty sure that mother is well aware about his nature but she sure must be thinking that he would exclude his daughters giving him benefit of doubt. But we cant expect much help from her. she has confided in you which is excellent. you give her all the encouragement you can. I am sure you can help her out. Remind her to be strong for herself and her sister. All the best

7. galwidpassion

galwidpassion Silver IL'ite

Thanks every one for responding. I already told her to find a job and move from there. Her sister is planning for an MBA.so i advised her to arrange that MBA in some college away from home. These are immediate steps i could take. Her sister will be joining MBA in 1-2 months. I asked her to talk to her mom whenever possible and make her see the light. But she was telling that it may cause stress to her mom as her health is already fragile,she doenst want to discuss it now. So thats the outcome till now. Hope she comes out of this problem soon..

8. mapleleaf

mapleleaf Silver IL'ite

Her mother might not be blind to the whole thing......I mean if he has a large **** collection at home and stares at women left right and centre she is bound to know something at least. Now it is whole different issue if the mom is living under denial because of physical or economical constraints. Any which way your friend needs to have a talk with her mom sooner or later.

9. manasiz

manasiz New IL'ite

God bless u. u neeed help too. tlk to ur mom anf dad if u can. regards ur friend - is there a good social worker nearby or a helpline. some one needs to be around if somr action needs to be taken. u need to ask ur local elders and find out.
    what about her grandparents cousin brothera rakhi brohera
    male relatives when walk in and out might help. councelling may be needed fir both sisters and f u are too involves u newd some love and care from ur elders as well.

This has to be a joint effirt. a good safety net and support system has to be built. build one.

10. manasiz

manasiz New IL'ite

Keep a pepwr spray