1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to handle in laws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by pavithrakutty, Jun 7, 2013.

1. pavithrakutty

pavithrakutty Bronze IL'ite

dear all,
    me and my husband staying together around five years.my in laws are planning to come to usa. yesterday my husband said these things to me that time i was suffering from head ache and i went to sleep so around twelve o clock he said about this matter.then i said its ok for me but one condition please told them(in laws) don't eat my brain bcz they always try to point out my fault.we both(me and husband) have no problem together if in laws said any thing to my DH it will become a big fight (i already explained it in my old post) my DH got angry and said so many this about me that iam not a good wife and in laws are very nice. my big questions are
    1.yesterday iam not feeling well that my DH also know then why he talk about that in laws are planning to come to usa my husband can talk these things to me when i am feeling health is it right
    2.i clearly said that iam ok if in-laws are staying with me but have one condition don't inferfear into my things(don't irritated me)
    iam explaining in laws characters:-

1.father in law always drink alcohol and always using bad words about me that i am little bit shame to wright that words here
    2.MIL don't allow my husband and me to sleep together she want to talk to my husband at midnight(my husband is a mama boy)
    3.always interfering about my dressing ,make up etc
    4.mother in law suffering from depression(attacking mentality)
    5.most of the time my husband is travelling so how can i manage mother in law because she have illness and father in law is always in a other mood( addition to alcohol)
    6.father in law having almost every diseases(heart problem)
    7.in laws like only hotel food for me i like only homely food
    8.i don't have much friends here so if husband is not here how can i manage it
    my big problem is my husband misunderstand me that i don't like them to come here and husband said to my parents that i don't like in laws to stay with me and now it will become a big problem for me my mind is full empty and at this time my brain is not working i want to clear it that iam ok please friends help me to clear my face in front of my husband wainting for your reply:) friends your suggestion please. do you ever face the same situvation:drowning
    praying to god to solve my problem:bowdown

2. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Let them come. You cannot stop them from coming. How much time is left for them to come? If its still few months/weeks, from today itself chalk out a strict timetable for yourself to follow, so that you have very few time left in the day to face in-laws. (are you working, by the way? I'm assuming you are not.)

- Try to find a job (volunteering if you are on h4)
    - Or join a gym. Or visit the library everyday.
    - Its summer now. So you can take daily walks morning and evening.
    - Keep yourself busy at home too.
    - Don't go overboard to please them by cooking a lot. Keep a simple breakfast. Simple dal, chawal, roti, sabzi for lunch and dinner. Don't plan anything elaborate.
    - Take afternoon naps. Fix a time for it.
    - Find something to fill up the empty periods of the day. For ex. with pujas, shlokas, etc.

In short, sit down and write down what you are planning to do for each and every hour of the day. :)

On weekends, plan a full day outing. So that they are busy sightseeing and you don't have to handle them. Or if you have friends, invite them to lunch or dinner so that you escape the weekends too. :)

In short, keep yourself so busy that you have no time left to take their !@#$. And simply run away at the very sign of trouble. Say you remember some work and go away in other room or outside. All the best to you. :thumbsup

8 people like this.
  3. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

some of the things that I learned after inlaws visit are :

1. Do hat you usually used to do includes eating, taking time to relax, talking to friends, going out etc...do not change your routine because they are here. In my case, I thought of being nice to them and started to adjust based on their likings, eating time etc and soon my inlaws took over my schedule and expected us to do everything that they want which included 4 hrs of skype sessions every morning where I would give my laptop to them , do cleaning, make breakfast, take care of kid and wait for the conversation to get over and start my work. I have a business and the revenue directly depends on how much time I spent to work( laptop) .so for the months they were here my revenue was almost zero...

2. Do not offer to be nice to them like let me cook for you, let me make tea, let me clean etc- Let them take responsibilities to few things and take incharge of some household stuff. After a busy hectic day, even if i sued to get an hour to myself i thought they will think I'm lazying around so would continue offering mys services to them. It was a mistake. No if I have to stay in my room doing nothing I would just do that .it does not matter what they think of me

3.Keep less communication - Do not talk too much , just what is required- I used to make conversations as if I'm talking to my parents, but they are not my PARENTS . So when we talk cordially, things are taken wrong. I also said things that I would say to my parents like change this in the house, it does not look good etc etc and all those things backfired me...since i stopped having nice conversations with them, i have minimal interference and no stress

4. Do not take crap -if they say something to you like taunts reply back imeediately.Take your revenge right then and there and never ever bring that to your husband....you handle your problem yourself

5. Do not complain to your husband - be mature, grown up now.If you feel stressed for something, you are living wiht them all day long, give them back yourself smartly the way they do to you. Do not take it to your husband. He will say that you are wrong no matter what ...so you handle your issues yourself. Be smart and start giving back when and as required

6. Last but not the least - some of crap that they say or do , does not matter so ignore
    just stay quiet and ignore and do what you think is right...

10 people like this.
  4. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

i like the idea from sweet shereya keep your busy all day long.....so that you have no time for taking their crap...

1 person likes this.
  5. pavithrakutty

thank you so much sweetshreya and Goahead:)but now my concern is my husband misunderstand me that i don't like my in laws to stay with me so he told these things to my parents and become a big fight with me and my hubby.now we didn't talk each other,husband don't come to home,didn't respond to my calls. i really want to solve this problem cleverly and want a clear picture about me in my hubby heart.because yesterday he said that i am a devil it hurt me a lot in my case i never hurt any one in my life both animal as well as human(pure vegetarian) always doing pujas to god to get a good married life but i don't know why god always give me a difficult situation please friends give me a good suggestion to communicate with my husband about this and in laws are old so something happened means husband blame me

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. pavithrakutty

dear sweetsherya,in laws are planing to stay here around six months and after that our entire family is going to India and setteld down there.in India means my parents are there so if some thing happened from mother in laws also fine but here i don't know (mind is full empty) because mother in law i already mention that she is suffering from depression so it's very difficult to manage her without my husband because she have suicidal mentality.my husband don't like to say his mother is suffering from mental depression. oh i don't know what to do? please help me

7. pavithrakutty

please friends help me

8. greenbow

greenbow Gold IL'ite

God helps them who help themselves.. simply praying to God isnt enough.

If you want to tell your H that you dont mind ILs coming here, then simply tell him that. Why is it so hard to communicate this?

If you MIL has health issues that your H doesnt agree to, just think of alternate ways of how to handle it. Idle mind is devils workshop.. so dont let her sit idle, get cable connection with Indian channels, they can watch movies and soap operas. If they like outside food, get it for them, you can cook at home for yourself and H. Find alternate ways to make things easy, instead of worrying that things are not perfect.

If she like arts/crafts, bring some stuff from Michaels and engage yourself in that, seeing you she might be interested to join. Like bring some chamkis/beads and get a plain saree and start working on crafts work that may keep her engaged.

This is just an example, basically engage her as per her interests.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  9. Nimbu

Nimbu Silver IL'ite

Hi I guess Sweetshreya, Goahead, Greenbow has given good suggestions.

I'm adding my 2 cents. Please don't think you have to create a good picture of yourself in your DH's mind. The more you try to pose for that ..I believe it would take a reverse gear. Instead be yourself.

Get yourself occupied most of the time and make them occupied as others mentioned here.

Try to be as normal as possible. Never try to collate things about them and wait for your DH to return and pour out. Men will not listen specially - complains about their dear parents.

Be patient and never lose your temper. But never give up to them and be a loser.

1 person likes this.
  10. sanvi5

sanvi5 Silver IL'ite

Dear I am so sorry for your situation. Pray to god and just keep calm most of the times dont pay any attention to their words. Do your work and go for a walk , sit in your bedroom and browse ,this is all I can suggest if you dont want to get into hassles.

For Inlaws entertainment tell your DH to have a dish connection and ask them to watch TV ,and tell your MIL to help you in kitchen.Talk to them very less.