1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

No more Pillsbury Atta / Sujata Atta in Bay area, in entire US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by GPriya, Feb 4, 2008.

1. kapuchu

kapuchu New IL'ite

hi all
    I could see that there is no branded atta (pillsbury/annapurna/laxmi) in patel brothers shop here in nashville.He has atta pkts with patel written on it and says no brands will be available for sometime.
    I dint know abt ricebeing not available too.thanks for the info.

thanks
    kapuchu

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I use Sujata atta and like it very much. Have a funny story to share regarding this.

Last Monday, I went to the Sunnyvale Hindu Temple. While browsing the New India Bazar located in the same compound, I noticed a single 20 pound bag of Sujata Atta just sitting there. Being pregnant, I had to put down my shopping basket before lifting the bag into the basket. But just as I was getting ready to put the bag in the shopping basket, this gentleman comes and starts to take the bag off the shelf!

I was like hello I am taking that. He tells me the shopkeeper told him to take it. I told him too bad, I got to the bag first. He made a few faces but I stuck to my ground and glared back. Finally, he walked away, and I huffed and puffed my way to the front of the store with my 20 pound bag of atta :) .

I felt guilty for taking the bag from the guy but thought it was fair for me to take the bag since I found it before him. What do you think?

3. narmee_r

narmee_r Senior IL'ite

Re: NO More Pillsbury Atta in Bay area,California

hi,
    i m narmada. i can suggest u some perfect ideas to use that atta in a good way. u can make atta dosa. u wont feel that badness while making dosas. for that take 3-4 laddle of dosa batter & add atta, salt & water. the consistency sh be like rava dosa. & make dosas like rava dosa. one more idea. while making dough for chappathi add some milk. milk gives the softness to ur rotis. i think this will help u better.
    thank u.

4. prr

prr New IL'ite

Krithika .... Nature Best is available in indian stores. but from few months regular wheat brands arent available. so if i get any regular brand then i purchased 40lb at a time.

5. prr

prr New IL'ite

pmahensa ..... haaaa haaa ... i couldnt stop myself
    but u nave to fight for wheat flour now a days .... as u found it before him ...dont feel gulity abt this incidence "Dane dane pe likha hai lene vale kaa naam"

6. Thozhi

Thozhi Bronze IL'ite

We are not getting any of these attas in toronto too. But the local product "Sher" atta is very good.

7. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Narmee_r,

My hubby is not fond of any wheat/ragi dosa. I can't even think of making so much of atta into dosas. It would prbably last lifetime..

Anyway, I plan to try the other suggestion of adding some warm milk while kneading the rubbery atta and see what comes out of it.

I will certainly update.

Someoneelse suggested me to use a spoon of rice flour while kneading,, I did it but it makes the roti to dry...didn't like it.
    So far the best suggestion I got is from ShobaNag, and I will take up her advise of buying little quantity in the Wholefood store and try out the whole wheat flour and see how soft the rotis are.

Thanx to all ..for breaking your brains to come up with all innovative ideas to make the world's softest rotis from this North American rubbery atta!!!!!!!!!!!

Love & Regards,
    GPriya.

8. tadasari

tadasari New IL'ite

I am very concerned about the quality of Atta because I know that the American regulations around flour are terrible - I would rather have the consistency be wrong than to be poisoning myself. Anyone know of organic or natural sources? I am okay with online.

9. vidyasriram

vidyasriram Senior IL'ite

Hello all,

If you guys are living around Santa Clara area there is a grocery store named India Cash and Carry he was selling Sujata atta last week I bought 20 lb bag for 17$, he told that he will have more the coming weekend. you might want to try there.

-Vidya

10. prr

prr New IL'ite

hey
    has anyone tried laxmi(Durumm ataa).. m not getting any regular brands. :(