favor or duty

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by preity12, Apr 4, 2013.

1. preity12

preity12 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    After a long time I am posing another big question in front of all you folks for your suggestions.
    I am unmarried and take care of my mother.
    My mother is aging and I have kept a maid to take care of her during the day while I am at work. But my work hours are too much but I still somehow manage to rush home early. I am the only earning person in my house with huge expenses towards medical. But my maid just takes leaves abrupty which puts me in a very bad state at work.
    I sometimes feel like asking my sister to resign and pay her some amount monthly.
    She is married with kids. But she and her husband both earns to complete the expenses.
    Do you feel it is correct on my part to ask her to do this?
    Once I feel she should also share some responsibility and it is correct if I ask her to do this.
    At other times I feel that I would not b able to pay her the amount that she earns so I have no rights to ask her to quit her job.

I dont know what you all feel?

Regards,
    Preity

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

How can you ask your sister to resign?
    Find another maid, give the present one a raise if possible
    Leave mom at relatives home if that will work!

1 person likes this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Preity, find another maid. Dont ask your sister to resign, not fair if you cant match her pay.

1 person likes this.
  4. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

Its not fair to ask your sis to resign. It is her call what she wants to do.

You can always find another maid or pay this one some more money.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You need to sit down and have a discussion with your sister on how best you both can take care of your mother. Often the child not living with old parent contributes more money and the child living with old parent does the more difficult part of actually taking care and supervising maid etc.

Rather than ask your sister to quit her job, tell her what kind of help you need in looking after your mother. Leave it to your sister to decide how she will provide those.

4 people like this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

You cannot ask you sister to resign her job. If she is earning well ask her to share expenses...in engaging another maid for longer hours or for medical expenses. Generally among children...the who earns more and not able to take care of parents contribute financially and the other one would take care. It is not a rule...but it is generally done so. If by doing so you can ask another servant who can come part time in the evenings also and pay her. Ask your sister to help in a financial way.

7. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

I don't think it will be good to ask her to quit. Can you guys take turns to be with your Mom when the Maid takes off?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. preity12

preity12 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    Thanks for your responses. I always knew that I would be wrong to ask my sister to resign but the circumstances are such that I could not help thinking that its is her duty as well.
    And these maids I dont know what and how I could match their expectations.
    I am already paying her more than the work she does so I find that it is wrong to increase her pay again :(
    Hope some solution comes up or God gives my maid some wisdom not to trouble me :(

9. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Keep two maids, one for cooking etc, or one for morning/evening. At least both wont take leave on the same day .

1 person likes this.
  10. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

you cannot ask your sister to resign but she can keep your mother with her for some days. She also has the responsibility and need to pay out. You cannot ask her to resign though.