Dare U to take my challenge?????

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by rachaputi, Mar 27, 2013.

1. smilysmile

smilysmile Gold IL'ite

Nice thread

My wastage,

Rice soaked for making Idly,put in the fridge for long time and felt like not consuming now,

Cut onions for more than 3days,two tomatoes got spoilt and 3-4 strawberries

I don't like to waste ,but some time things happen if I don't check properly:-(

2. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

sucessfully this week completely not wasted any.

3. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

My DH does this.. He never wastes food and insists people around them to follow the same.. He never wastes even a single curry leaf.. With him even am following the same, but if i forcefully take food i get vomiting.. so he says take less how much u can and so that u dont need to put on trash. In case, i cudnt eat my part he takes from my plate and he will have. If we both order something and if the quantity is more either he gets it parceled or somehow finishes eating. His friends used to say if my DH is there with them during any dining they will be forced to finish the dish without wasting.. Initially it was tough for them, but later even they understood and with him they order less and finishes everything..

He says there are so many people in this world who are longing for a piece of bread, we without knowing the value are wasting it. This is one quality which i admire a lot in my DH.. Not only him even his 2 elder brothers follow the same policy. :)

3 people like this.
  4. kamdev1

kamdev1 Silver IL'ite

I completely understand that food should not be wasted. My mother also follows the same pratice.
    Just one point I have understood and would like to share with all ladies.
    In the process of not wasting left over food, we tend to store it first and then re-cook.
    There exist undeniable factor that can never be neglected while cooking. This factor is known as overheating or overcooking as this phenomenon severely destroys vitamins and minerals contained in raw food. Cookware utilized during cooking process also play an important role as it is responsible for proper heat exposure to food. Overcooking food with cookware extinguishes vitamins A,C, E and Fatty acids along with proteins from food. These vitamins are not only destroyed with overheating or overcooking but also disturbed due to exposure to heat and air. Re-heating or re-cooking proteins makes incompatible with stomach and makes it indigestible. Minerals are also destroyed to some extent due to overheating.
    Any food which is above 24 hours, has lost most of its nutrition value. The best thing would be to cook less quantity in first place.

2 people like this.
  5. rachaputi

Good point kamadev, I agree with u kamadev, but its impossible to cook and consume same measurement of food everyday, mainly with kids. I prefer to complete than wasting. Of course mostly everyone try to cook sufficient.

6. kamdev1

kamdev1 Silver IL'ite

even fridge is not a good option always. many foods become junk in 24/36 hours

2 people like this.
  7. silverlight

silverlight Silver IL'ite

Hi rachaputi..
    Even i would like to join here and keep updating.
    I do not like to waste food.. All thanks to my mom who cultivated this habit in me from the childhood.. :) whatever i take in plate/put in plate.. i make sure i finish it even if i don't like it.
    now.. daily i keep watch on my husband for this, as he leave some food in his plate.

Problem comes when we have dinner outside.. i eat very less spicy food. when food is spicy.. i tend to leave sometimes.. I try my maximum to finish.. :)

will keep updating.... Great thread.. :)

8. subap

subap Junior IL'ite

Nice thread ... My husband follows this .he wont waste food ,also he used to tell not to waste food .i am just trying to follow .and used to tell my friends not to waste the food .

9. rachaputi

in my case that will happens very rarely like weekly once.

10. kamdev1

kamdev1 Silver IL'ite

most foods become junk in fridge from nutrition point of view, unless its red meat, milk products or eggs.