1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help me save my marriage!!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Sunshine123, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Sunshine123

Sunshine123 New IL'ite

Hello Everybody

I have been visiting this site for the last 6 months now and really feel that this a great site for ladies. This is my first post here. I have a big problem in my marriage and i really really need help from all you smart ladies out there (SoaringSpirit, Ria, Hopeforgood, Capediem...etc) to pls help me save my marriage.

Pls be patient and read my entire post, its going to be a long one, but i feel its important that you know the whole story to be able to advise me!! I have been married for the last 9 yrs now with a 5yr old boy. Ours was an arranged marriage. I was in love with somebody else (Mr.X) for 5 yrs before i got married. It began as a one sided love as he was in love with somebody else. But i was so attracted and drawn towards him that though i knew there was somebody else in his life i still couldnot hold my feelings for him. After some years he also started moving closely with me and expressed that he does have a soft corner for me, but he does not want to give me anyhopes for future together as he is already committed to this other girl. Then when my marriage was fixed with my husband, we decided to part as friends, but somewhere deep in my heart my feelings for him have not died.

The first year of my marriage, my hubby was very nice to me and tried to shower his love on me, but as i was still mentally with Mr. X i could not give my 100% to my marriage. Though i never met Mr.X after marriage, i still used to think about him alot. This went on for the first 2yrs of marriage. Then Mr.X got married to this other girl, and thats when i decided that enough is enough and i should forget this guy and focus on my marriage. But by then, my marriage had gone beyond repair, and my husband completely gave up on our marriage, and we started having regular agruments and fights in the house. He is very short temepered and always used to shout at me , never empathise with me for anything and in general there was not a single day that we lived happily. He never used to agree with me on anything and always used to take his parents side for any argument. This was the time when we were living with my inlaws. This was a shock to me as i was not getting any love from my husband and i used to be depressed and crying everyday, blaming god that he never gave me the person that i loved in my life, and now when i want to have a good marriage, my husband does not love me anymore. I had gone into a total depression, and even when i was pregnant with my son, the fights never stopped. This went on for some years.....then all of a sudden i got a call from Mr.X saying that he wants to be friends again withme.........i resisted for a year and never met him. But then, as the unpleasentness at homefront increased, i thought why shouldnnot i meet this person who wants me so badly.......so i met him once, and from then on again we started meeting regularly. THis time he said that he sincerely loves me and realised his love for me only after i went away from his life....for me he provided the love, warmth and affection which i did not receive from my husband. I dont think i was in love with this person anymore, as by then i was so vexed up with life that i had no feelings of love for anyone, anymore. But meeting him made me happy, and i could freely talk to him without any inhibitions and i started being happy again after a long time again!!!

But i made it very clear that, i do not want any kind of a physical closeness between us, and that i enjoy his company and we should keep it at that. He agreed to that, and slowly i started enjlying life again. Then becos of my husbands job, we had to move out of India and came to Belgium. I used to be in touch with MrX though emails. Oneday my husband came home saying that i want to discuss something important with you. All this while i was wondering why we have regular fights and our marriage was not working, and now he know the reason for that, which is that there is another man in my life. He told me that he received some mails from somebody anonymous abt my affair with Mr.X and all hell broke loose.(I feel that there was no anonymous person, but that my husband got hold of my password and read my mails) We had 3 days and nights of discussions and arguments and i disclosed everything to him. He said that he will not divorce me becos of the stigma attached to divorece and also that our son needs both of us. But he said he does not have any trust in me anymore and that i have to now work extra hard to make this marriage work. He says he is not going to put in any efforts as he feels he is cheated and i have given him hell in the last 9yrs of marriage beocs i was in love with somebody else.

After that i have closed that chapter of my life with X and decided that i need to revive my marriage. But these days whenever we have any small fight, he always brings back the past and says that i dont feel bad about committing adultery in the marriage, and since i have sinned i have to keep my head down and listen to all that he says without questioning anything ever. He says i have lost all rights in this marriage, and he does not trust me any more.

Can you all pls advise me

1. How do i get his trust back
    2. He is shorttempered and always snaps at me for every small thing. I think he wants to hurt me mentally by doing so.
    3. If i try to answer back he says you dont have any right to raise your voice against me after the mistake that you have committed in life.

I agree i have wronged, but under what circumstances have i done that? Is he not partially responsible for driving me towards this guy again? If i say that he is not willing to accept it and says that he is not reponsible for our marriage not working as he gave it his 100% and i did not.

Pls adivse me what to do.........
    1. I want peace at home.
    2. I want him to start loving me again.

Thankyou

2. Sunshine123

Sunshine123 New IL'ite

Also want to add that, when i ask him where do we go from here in our relation,....I could think of two options, either we get separated, or we could bury the past and start our life fresh. I told him that i want us to pursue the second option. For which he says, he cannot choose any option now, but he is not able to forget what i did to him........he also says that he feels that i dont realise that i have done any mistake....he also asks can you give me back all the last 9yrs that i have lost back to me? I dont have an answer. How can i make him understand that yes i have comitted a mistake by looking for emotional support outside........ but now i want another chance to give my marriage 100%. I really love him and want us to have a happy life ahead. Pls advise

3. diana

diana Bronze IL'ite

Well you are at fault and you cant blame your husband for driving you towards Mr. X, because initally after marriage when he showed his love towards you, you were emotially not there with him. So you can't blame him.

See a woman's heart is like an ocean, she can bury as much hurt is given to her and start afresh, but its not so with a man. His ego will never allow him to forgive n forget. So if you want to continue in this marriage, you have got to live with your sins.

Life is not such, that you erase some parts of it and it is GONE. It never goes and it is always there. So the best you could do is LIVE with it. Everytime your husband blames you for your mistake, accept it in your heart and mind that what he says is right and you have made a mistake, that way you wont feel bad.

Now what more you could do is, give yourself sometime say about 6 months. Say to yourself that in this 6 months I will work to improve my marriage to the most I can and if even after that nothing works..then the best will be to move out. You will atleast have in your heart that you had tried, but it still didnt work.

Now for the thing you can do to improve your marriage is give it your best by being SILENT. Sometimes silent speaks louder then voice. Dont argue or fight over anything, even if he is at fault. Dont go to justify yourself with him. Instead keep yourself occupied, with your house work and kid. Try to be happy(fake it) and show in your actions that you have moved. Do your house work, cook his favorite meal, spend more time with your kid and be there when he needs you. Show by this action that you are Sorry for your mistake. And is not just saying it, but showing it in your actions.

He will all the time keep a watch on you. Try to find out the reason behind your silence and try to provoke you in arguing/fighting back. If you feel sometimes that you can't take his words/actions, go out for a stroll and after you feel a bit better come back.

What I am trying to say in all this is, prove to him in your action, that you have buried your past and are now moving ahead. Slowly he too will change himself.

I have advised you, what I would have done if I was in your situation to make my marriage work. Rest upto you.

All the best,
    Diana

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  4. Lalla

Lalla New IL'ite

When a marriage is going bad all people have sins: You have your mind with mr X and your husband was with his original family.
    Try him to resolve the problem, being more flexible, probably your husband is confused and angry, don't say a word about the past and don't worry time is a good medecine for every heart.

bye

Laura

5. Sunshine123

Sunshine123 New IL'ite

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Really appreciate it. I just want to clarify a few things. Dont think i am justifying myself.

I do agree that i was not very reciprocative during the initial years but it was not like i was totally indifferent to him. I used to be affectionate to him,But he has immense ego, and cannot accept anybody else's upmanship. He always used to try to put me down and say that i should listen to what he says. This kind of behavior used to upset me a lot and eventually drove me away from him. Especially becos even i was a working women in a senior managerial position while in India, but he always used to say things like if i were your boss I would not even have you as my secretary. These things used to really depress me and hurt me. He never has any respect for me.......and now he says openly that he has no respect for me at all, and no trust !!

He also never acknowleges the fact that i gave up such a high flying career to take care of our son and home, and moved with him to this new country. I am not expecting him to be verbal about it.......but atleast once in a while he can appreciate me for what i do.........he never does that. And now when i ask him why cant he see the good things that i do........he says you expect 'instant gratification'.......and what you do is not enough to cover your sins!!!

Pls help me how do i deal with this........I try to be patient most of the time and not reply to his snapping and sarcastic words........but sometimes it gets a little too much and thats when i answer back to him and he immediately says....dont raise your voice against me, you dont have any right to do that......and he immediately rakes up the past!!!

Pls advise

6. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Senior IL'ite

Hi Sunshine123,

Firstly I want to tell you that you are absolutely on the right path by wanting to turn things around and make this marriage work. No one said that this is going to be an easy task. I 100% agree with all the advices that Diana has given. I couldn't have put it better, myself. I'm sure SS and Ria will come up with some fantastic pointers as well.

I totally understand what you mean when you say how hard it is to live with an egoistic man. Having a spouse with a super-inflated ego and dealing with him for the last 6 years has taught me that the only way the egoism will mellow down is with age and experience. There is no point in fighting and arguing - it will only cause us needless worries and unpleasantness. Such hubbies take pride in being in control. Let them feel superior, and artificially elevated. I can understand how this attitude can be a put-off for a new wife, as you said. But since we have to accept our husbands with a full-package, we should accept this too. Don't butter up his ego and don't deflate it too. The biggest issue with such spouses is that they don't realise that respect is something that cannot be demanded but needs to be earned.

Your husband now has the upper hand and will not stop raking up the past everytime you have an argument. So the mantra for now should be to "Avoid arguments at all costs" atleast for some time. Lay low. Be slient. Be prepared that your husband will keep talking about the past. Just listen to him calmly and don't get agitated. Let him feel by your actions and words that you are silently taking his punishment. But this is not going to happen overnight. Don't do this for 1-2 weeks and give up. You need to have a lot of patience and immense strength to turn things around. It may take years but it will surely happen. As hopefor good said, your emotional investment will pay off but just make sure that you only make deposits and not any withdrawals from this account.

Focus on your son, try to do common fun things with your husband, make some friends, plan outings, keep yourself busy, and don't beat yourself too much about what you did. Patience and Persistance is the key. You can make it work. I think God has given us women immense strength to see us through the worst of times. This too shall pass.

Take Care

7. Sunshine123

Sunshine123 New IL'ite

Thanks a lot Carpediem and HopeforGood for your wonderful suggestions. To answer your question hopeforgood, No he has not disclosed it to anyother 3rd person. Its just between the two of us. Knowing him, i dont think he will ever disclose it to anybody. He is a person who would like to deal with his problems himself!!

8. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunshine,
    Firstly, kudos to my friends Diana, HopeforGood and CarpeDiem for the wonderful advice they have given. I totally agree with their suggestions that you need to incorporate an extremely positive and patient behavior towards your husband.

Sunshine, things happen in life. Some good, some bad. Some due to our own doing and some for no fault of ours. I can see that you are not a bad person and I can understand that sometimes one does things which one latter wonders why they did it. But like HopeforGood said, no point in trying to justify your actions or trying to assign blame to yourself or to your hubby. Just let that part go.

One thing that I want to ask you is, have you said a plain and simple sorry to your husband for what happened? If you haven’t already, I firmly think you should. He was cheated, I understand you had your reasons, but the fact remains that he was cheated and so you do owe him a heartfelt and a genuine sorry. No frills attached. Just look in his eyes, take his hand and say sorry for what happened. And really mean it.

Secondly, I do agree with everyone’s suggestions that the best place to start will be to show a whole lot of patience, perseverance and love towards your husband. You will have to ignore his harsh words for some time to come. You had Mr. X in your mind for several years before you could finally get over him. Your husband is in a worse situation than yours. He must be feeling like someone stabbed him in the back. It is a terrible feeling to have and I can assure you that this will take some time to go away. May be years. I don’t know. But I cannot imagine that a few months of love and patience will help him overcome the bitterness. So be prepared for the long haul.

You will be able to continue being positive and doing the right things only if you are convinced from the bottom of your heart that your husband and your marriage is worth all your efforts, time and the years of your life. Once your mind is set on it then you can implement but the main thing is to have a resolute and unwavering mind. To come to that, I’d like you to read and possibly follow a bullet wise plan I had suggested in another post. The situation was different than yours but my suggestions were for coming to a concrete conclusion whether you think that the husband is worth your time and efforts and, whether in your opinion the marriage is worth working on or not. Once you answer the bullet points I think you will get a lot of clarity in your thinking and your actions.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/me-and-my-spouse/17205-how-forgive-my-spouse-move.html

I know this is a very tough phase for you. But keep your hopes up and whenever you feel like giving it back to your husband for his harsh words, stop for a moment and remember the reasons why you have decided to give this your best shot. This will help you keep your nerves calm and help you focus on the end goal when your husband is in a mood to give you bad.

My best wishes to you.
    SS

9. Sunshine123

Sunshine123 New IL'ite

Thanks SoaringSpirit for your wonderful advise. I went through the link that you provided and really loved the bullet pt approach. I am surely going to follow it.

I have another question. My husband keeps telling me that he does not trust me anymore and he also says that he is sure that if at all we go back to India he is sure that i will establish connection again with Mr.X and will resume my friendship with him. I have tried explaining it to him so much that, that part of my life is over and i really have no interest in Mr.X anymore and i am looking at starting a new life with my husband. But he continues to be very suspicious of everything that i do.........like any emails that go out of my mail box (he even had a mail redirect installed so that any mails that come into my account, a copy of that goes to his mailbox too!!), or any calls that i make.......I really feel bad for so much supervision that happens on my every doing!!!

I know it takes time for him to build trust in me.........but can anybody pls advise if there are a few things that i can immediately put into practise which would put me on the right track to gain his confidence and trust back?

Thankyou everyone and expecting a good advise from all you smart women out there

10. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Senior IL'ite

SoaringSpirit has once again done it! Excellent advice and pointers!

Sunshine, as you rightly said, it is going to take a long time for him to build trust. There are no shortcuts. I don't think there is a quick-fix that you can do in the short-term for him to gain his trust back. Let him spy on you, monitor you or supervise you. He will stop on his own after some time. Be patient and continue to be loving and warm towards him, irrespective of his behaviour. You have to drill it in your head that there is no quick-fix for this...It is hard, I know, but this the small price you have to pay....Trust me - things will get better. Just hang in there!