1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Newborn Irregular Bowel

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vidhukumar, Apr 6, 2007.

1. anu9

anu9 New IL'ite

Re: 5 month kid not pooping

Hi,

going poo poo once in 2 days is quite normal and nothing to worry since ur baby is too small and when my daughter was of that age we used to boil dry raisins and mash it then filter the extract and give it to her in the early morning. hope this helps....

Here in US i gave her white grape juice and banana . this will surely help.

but for ur baby i am not sure with the banana puree. just check with ur people before giving...

this banana puree and white grape juice worked out for me many a times...

i gave her this combination from her 8th or 9 th month....

Anu

2. Pooja29

Pooja29 New IL'ite

Hi All..

Need advice from all mom..

My newborn who is just 25days has irregular bowel..Initial first week was good..but afterwards he didn't passed motion for 3 days , so we took him to doc.They didn't said anything but did some test and later on said all okay..

Also they gave us some Glycerine capsule to be inserted into baby's rectrum and after that he passed motion.. Also, he is never constipated but i m just worried why it's not regular.becoz on 3rd day he will not take proper feed.

I breastfeed him and once in a day formula feed.

Please advise is it something I need to increase in my diet or any other home remedy.

3. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

I believe this is very common in new born babies. Both of mine were too. I think the iron in the formula makes them constipated.
    My suggestion would be don't wait for three days, after a day or so put the glycerine tab they gave to you and make him have the bowel. Here in US it is called suppositaries and you can get it over the counter in any grocery or pharmacy store.

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Pooja,

Irreruglar bowel is nothing to be worried about, as long as the baby is not in discomfort. The docs here say that bowel movements once in a week is also okay.
    But if you are still worried, i would ask that you stop the formula and solely breast feed only. Also using the suppositories routinely is not good for a baby this small.

I think if you have a balanced diet , it should be okay. Take more greens, fruits and fiber rich foods.

Vandhana

5. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Hi Pooja,

It's common with infants to poo after couple of days, even this happened to my baby too. I'm still giving her formula once a day. I spoke to registered nurse & she told me nothing to worry abt as long as baby Pi ( 6-7 wet diapers). So don't worry, my baby still poo after 2 days but now i'm used to it. My dad told me it's good that means baby is going to be healthy:wink: Here is the link we discuss it before-

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/infants/22890-query-regarding-stool.html

6. Pooja29

Pooja29 New IL'ite

Thanks Dear..

We did the same.. Actually we don't want it to make a routine, we want that he should pass motion on his own..

7. Pooja29

Pooja29 New IL'ite

Thanks Vandhana..

Even I have heard the same..Baby is not in discomfort but when he don't pass the motion he start feeling bit lazy and don't take the proper feeds.

That why I am bit worried..

8. Pooja29

Pooja29 New IL'ite

Hey Thanks..

He is wetting 6-7 diapers .. Just that motion is an issue..

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Pooja,
    What Vandhana said is absolutely right. It is perfectly ok for your baby to pass motion even once a week as long as the stools are soft and the baby seems alright otherwise. My son used to go 3 -4 days at a time without passing motion sometimes (he once went a record 10 days!). Unless there is some special reason for giving formula I would advice you to stop it as it can sometimes make babies constipated. If you need to bottle-feed him once a day use expressed breast milk instead. Your diet is unlikely to make your baby constipated. Drink lots of fluids, eat nutritiously, be as stress-free as possible and most of all feed your baby often - all this will improve milk supply. Please dont use suppositories often - they can cause harm to such a young baby.

Vanathi.

10. priyalalwani

priyalalwani Senior IL'ite

Re: hard stools-6 month baby

Hi,
    This usually happens as the baby started taking solids sometimes milk creates constipation.Give her plenty of fluids, warm water. give her veg purees with plenty of water. Reduce the intake of milk for few days. thnks

Love, Priya