1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sleep Trouble

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vmtaurus, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Kungumam

Kungumam Gold IL'ite

Take him to a nearby park after dinner , make him tired with play ...
    Give half glass warm milk with jathikai powder one pinch ...
    He will definitely sleep well.
    Another reason for not sleeping could be some slight nasal congestion... Apply little Vicks on chest and see if he sleeps...

2. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Rakhi for your kind words. It has been a little better past two days. He is atleast sleeping at 12:00 AM. Yea, I know his birthday is coming up and of course you are invited! You ladies have been a great source of support and help to me!
    I'm a little wary of not letting him nap after 4 PM. He is notorious in the sense that he will tire himself out, go to bed at 9, power nap and get up and be super fresh at 12:00 AM. Why I say this is because I have tried this too, and this is what happened. He has already cut down now to 2 naps, even if takes one more it will be for like some 15 mins.
    So, what I am doing now is not let him sleep after 7 PM, play with him for a couple of hour,s then dinner, some quiet time, and then slowly put him to bed. This worked for the past 2 days. Hopefully he will stick to it. I have help at home during the day, so am able to finish my chores plus I work from home, so I need to finish everything before the working day starts.
    Thanks again for your inputs Rakhii.

3. brindasuchin

brindasuchin New IL'ite

hi
    try hugging him while putting him to sleep and stroke his ears while singing softly.this might soothe him and make him sleep.well i did try several methods to make my hyperactive girl sleep and this did work for me.

4. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Kungumam. No, it is not nasal congestion..I have checked specifically for it.

5. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Hugs to you, Taurus. Only thing I recommend is cutting now his 3rd nap. By age 1 they go from 2 to 1 nap. Doing that would ensure that he will be tired and ready to hit the sack by a reasonable time. Cut any nap after 5 pm. Doing that will ensure that he will not be able to keep up beyond 9 pm. I dont know what else might work:(

6. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Just read Rakhii's post, and well she already gave you the same response about naps:)

I agree, sometimes we just have to accept that a child is a late sleeper. But 2:30 AM can ne nightmarish. Please turn off TV, and such distractions at night if possible. if environment before sleeping is less stimulating, babies fall into routine easily.
    My son's granparents are here. And he plays so much. Yesterday while massaging he kept crawling away to his grandpa, and after his bottle of milk when he is ready to snooze, he wanted to play! Quite unlike him. But I persist and put him to bed at his time, nevertheless. Be consistent. And I do think things might change:)

7. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Brinda. I co-sleep and walk, rock, pat and sing him to sleep or make shh sounds. Sometimes singing works, sometimes it doesn't. Just totally depends on LO.

8. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

How old is your son chotabheem? My sisters son who is 3 years old also does not sleep until late. Any effort results in huge cry fest. But when my sister came to visit me the kid slept at 8 PM! Thats because he kept playing in the garden from 5 PM and since I would not switch on the TV at all at those times, he got less stimulated and tried to sleep early instead..Now when he went back, the pattern of sleeping at 11 pm started all over again...

9. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Hehe..thanks Tuliplady. I have accepted that he is like this. But sometimes it just gets to me. Anyway, like i mentioned in my earlier post, he is sleeping much better now. But yes, his naps have reduced to 2.
    Yes, there are no distractions while i put him to sleep, just a soft light is on.
    I'm just waiting for the day when i can sleep 6-7 hours straight!! :)

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

6-7 hours is a dream for me too taurus. Mine at 15 months still wakes up at least twice. I just need to hold her for less than 10 seconds and she dozes off. So, not bad.

What I am worried is, what if he makes this a permanent habit, like sleeping at 12 and waking up very late? Like Tuliplady said, there are kids who follow this pattern well into their 3rd year if you dont break this habit.

Do you have any days-off/ vacation coming up? If you have some vacation, I suggest take it and implement this not-letting-him-sleep-after-4-PM. Rest assured, for the first 3-4 days, he will power nap and wake up fresh at 12 AM. But do not let him play...repeatedly sing/rock...what ever you do right now until he dozes off. Get a comfortable chair into the room as this could take even 2 hours. Slowly...very slowly he will NOT wake up after sleeping at 8 PM or 9 PM. Trust me...this habit will break after 1 or 2 weeks of hard work for you. In that 1-2 weeks, he will cry, be cranky, you will get frustrated etc. But remember the goal, getting him to sleep early and remaining asleep. He cannot sleep if he power naps after 4. That really has to go. I know you tried this, but try again and do it 1-2 weeks and not 1 to two days.

The only problem is you staying up all night for a week or so until he settles down. that is why I said, do this during vacation.

Come to think of it Taurus, sleeping at 12 am is still not a very healthy habit. So, sooner you break this, the better it is for the entire family. I know...you are trying.