1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Things you want to tell your MIL, but can't.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by monita, Nov 9, 2012.

1. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

My DD was born as small baby (thanks to my in laws who took care of me so well that i developed some complications...thts an another story...)...I used to be very very slim...so my FIL commented on my daughters health : not to worry about anything ...her health is on her mother's health....

I took really special care of my daughter(thanks to god...i got very good lactation...more than usual) and she became very chubby n cute in 6 months:
    Now my FIL said...She has gone on her bua(My SIL)....she was chubby in childhood and later on became slim...she (my DD) will also become slim when she will grown up...He told this 2-3 times to me...then finally i said that when she was born you said that she is on me now you are telling she is on SIL....may be if she becomes thin again she will again go on me....

9 people like this.
  2. snm1984

snm1984 Platinum IL'ite

Superlike:thumbsup.I am gonna borrow your lines,it will be very helpful in future!

2 people like this.
  3. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Ah yes !! Can identify with this one.....

MIL: You should be like that neighbor's son, he is such an ideal. He never allows his wife to talk back to his parents. She just doesnot dare.
    Me (few months later): He spent a night in jail for beating his wife. You used to call him an ideal person, and wanted your son to be like that.

MIL: Look at him, he divorced his wife. Thanks to his mother, his eyes were opened before it was too late. So you should also listen to your mom always.
    Me: :bonk

I don't know what it is, bad vastu or bad karma, but out of 12 families in their building, except for two, every family is dysfunctional. One has suicide; one spent a night in jail, other being tried under a two yr old hit-&-run case; some unemployed, some drunkards and wife-beaters. And this is MIL's world, where DH grew up. :bang Come to think about it, I feel my DH is not that bad, infact he has preserved himself from bad influence really well.

4 people like this.
  4. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Shreya, it's all becoming very common in India. People just can not live peacefully. It all about skewed mentality. Parents have the right to interfere. DIls don't know what to do. Sons don't know whether to please the wife or the parents or the society. In addition to that the race to get ahead, peer pressure...
    It's a mess out there.

7 people like this.
  5. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Coolgal that reminds me of my crazy days as well...
    Post deliv when they entered the hospital room... they were... thank god she looks exactly like our DD.. nothing about how ru ... just walked out.... later on they themselves accepted ok she looks like you.

When SIL visited... oh wow she's BFeeding... my son cud never .. as I never got milk.
    PILs... this gal is as greedy for milk as her Aunt (their DD).... MY SIL used to drink arnd 2-3 ltrs of milk whilst mine was barely at 500ml by 3 mths... daily banter for 15 days of my SIL visit........... and by 3.5 mnth she refused to BFeed or intake milk or food. Feeding's been a battle ever since then.

I really want to tell them... when will you just control your ultra long and BLACK tongue and let me live life peacefully.

vgovinda, polymorphic, Gae3 and 2 others like this.
  6. dahlia

dahlia Silver IL'ite

I'd like to tell my MIL to stop lying and making up things as she sees fit. She doesnt realize that she is making up stuff just to get her way because it comes so natural to her and she's been doing it forever. She does this with everyone, with her hubby, kids, relatives, friends and everyone. Never met anyone so manipulative. Sigh!

3 people like this.
  7. Wondergirl137

Wondergirl137 Gold IL'ite

MILs and Manipulation are just different words in dictionary...for us (DILs)...its just one horrible word :D

Scene 1:
    MIL asks me to help he tidy her saree...and me (still the naïve dumb DIL) just casually mentioned that I did not know how to wear saree and I learnt it post-wedding only (I actually saw couple of you-tube videos as I love sarees and wanted the wrap to be impeccable).

MIL to me: I still don't know how to wear saree because I always wear salwar-suits only.

Complete white lie because she grew up in village and got married at 17-18 and has stayed in sort of remote areas since then plus women (married and of her age-group) in that part of north india still wear saree.

Scene 2 (Cross check)
    Me to the Husband: You did not tell me that mummy wears salwar suits....I would have got her salwar-suit instead of saree. I did not tell him the whole story though.

Husband to me: When? I never saw her wear any salwar suit.

Me to Myself: What is the need to lie so much? And for what? Hail MILs and their story telling ability :bowdown

1 person likes this.
  8. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

same here.

I was at first horrified at her lies, then disgusted, now left her as a gone case. in the first stage, I couldn't figure how to react, my mind became numb. second stage - felt like slapping her, but since I can't do that - used to walk away from the scene. Now that I have learnt that I can do nothing about it, I don't feel the need to walk away and she thinks that I am on her side:bonk

How I wish I could tell her to just shut up and realize that people are not fools because they keep quiet when you lie, but they do not want to stoop to your level and hence the silence

vgovinda, kma, kishoremommy and 3 others like this.
  9. cheshmeenu

cheshmeenu Bronze IL'ite

Well to MIL... rest I have handled and still handling... by Ignorance is the best policy..... But still want to say.... Stop telling me how to raise my kid... I have one of yours and he needs lots of improvement.....

stop showing me articles in xyz magazines about how to raise kids..... I am fed up and some day you are going to have a long lecture from me that telling all this in front of my kid again and again..... you are not really helping...... I know my kid loves you for the indulgences you provide to him which are spoiling him.. and if you will stop spoiling him I will not really need to scold him.

Just leaving you nobody have any problem and nobody see any problem with my kid. He is as good as a normal child should be.... and as a Mother I will always make sure that my kid learn and do right things.... and if I have to be stern for that sometimes then I have to be.

1 person likes this.
  10. dahlia

dahlia Silver IL'ite

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    4 people like this.