Indians in Adelaide Australia

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by vanitha335, Aug 3, 2012.

1. catalia

catalia New IL'ite

Yes Correct, but we have to stay continue for the last 12 months before applying for citizenship and also I heard that now they take a test for citizenship, were they ask questions about Australia.

2. prithvikishore

prithvikishore New IL'ite

Hi Saradha
    Hope you are doing good.
    We are from Chennai.
    I am a dependent PR holder and my wife is primary applicant.
    We (my self, my wife and our 2yr old son) are planning to move to Aus in the 2nd week of Apr'13.
    We got a PR Visa and in that, my wife's old PP number was updated and the PP number is not yet updated in the PR Visa copy. Is that any problem and In what cases we'll get problem.
    Were are you settle in Aus? We are planning to move to Mel. If you can guide us for the accommodation places like any good / safe / close to schools "Suburbs" and close to transport.
    We also happy to get accommodation which is 45mins travel to CBD.
    We are waiting for your positive response.
    Thanks
    With regards
    Kishore & Theja

3. prithvikishore

prithvikishore New IL'ite

Hi Saradha
    Hope you are doing good.
    We are from Chennai.
    I am a dependent PR holder and my wife is primary applicant.
    We (my self, my wife and our 2yr old son) are planning to move to Aus in the 2nd week of Apr'13.
    We got a PR Visa and in that, my wife's old PP number was updated and the PP number is not yet updated in the PR Visa copy. Is that any problem and In what cases we'll get problem.
    Were are you settle in Aus? We are planning to move to Mel. If you can guide us for the accommodation places like any good / safe / close to schools "Suburbs" and close to transport.
    We also happy to get accommodation which is 45mins travel to CBD.
    We are waiting for your positive response.
    Thanks
    With regards
    Kishore & Theja

4. shareon

shareon Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Am glad to be back (literally) on this forum :D. I shall share my experience soon. Prithvikishore, I think you may need to fill a form (Form 19 I think) and upload that document with the recent passport details. Please keep your case officer informed of the change and that the relevant form is uploaded.They would acknowledge that their records are updated.They will not re-issue the e-visa, once you get to the aiport, they would verify the records.Keep your old Passport handy if need be, however the old passport number should be on the recent one.

5. abs2911

abs2911 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shareon
    Aren't we glad that you are back. Please update all about ur travel, stay etc etc. waiting eagerly. We will also be going this March end. Keep me posted..

Kind Regards

Abida

6. shareon

shareon Senior IL'ite

Sorry, I had stated its a form 19 (oops thats a PF withdrawal form)I've too much going on.
    The correct one is Form 929 for change of address/passport details. Thats the form you need, Download, Print, Fill up, Scan, upload and you're good. Finally keep your case officer updated on the form.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  7. shareon

shareon Senior IL'ite

Hi there,
    Umm where do I start, what do I start with?
    Ok... here it goes.. We travelled via Malaysian airlines(worked cheaper that way) and stayed for some 12hours in Malaysia,The hotel was good, food was good at the airport, We munched on some snacks and Malay food at the food court. So far, so good. The travel was smooth with my son sleeping some 40% of the time. Then comes the best part.. we had some distant relative at Adelaide and inspite of messaging/calling them of our arrival, nobody is there to pick us up at the airport.After several calls from the airport (Pls be aware the public booths are V expensive can cost upto 3AUD for a min to India) calls going unanswered finally someone says "Ah, just hire a taxi!" Ok and our first day is like "Sheesh!" Lesson learnt : Have a Plan B
    Reach the place, well taken care of, well fed but we are damn tired having not slept through the journey.And of course the jetlag. We try to get things done on Friday(next day) No go. Still our bodies wont give up. Sat and Sun we roam around and visit the closest shopping mart - Coles and Kmart (just window shopping to get an idea on the prices) Lesson learnt: Should have spent house hunting
    Monday plan to visit the bank, get centrelink and medicare done (All on King William street, CBD)
    Medicare : Check
    Bank : Check
    Centrelink : office moved the medicare people say we have to register online and submit the relevant docs at the centrelink office
    Lesson learnt : Do your homework, register at centrelink
    Tuesday visit Centrelink office Norwood, "Well, do you have a TFN?" Nope! Well you definitely need it to proceed
    Centrelink : Not checked
    Register online for TFN, follow the instructions and receive no info on the waiting period.
    We received the TFN via Post in a weeks time.Some said that theres a temp TFN via email, but we didnt receive it

Funny thing, both our laptops will not talk to the wifi router at the house!
    OK, go for a cheap connection on Mobile, tether it and ah it works, but again slow as a snail (but it works)
    Start hunting for places... its Tuesday by then I kept reminding my hubby during the course of travel we will stay only for 2 whole days. (No, not happening)
    Tuesday we book through some broker(not a real estate agent) some place (sharing of course) with a SL couple
    No other choice, accepted.. We are then told we are to share it with 4 other SL men. My hubby said its a strict NO! esp with a baby.
    Then comes Thursday, go to a nearby place available for rent (through realestate.com) got the form but the dates are v late to move out
    Friday visit another place closeby.... samething its a long procedure... submit forms.. Landlord agrees with your form and agrees to rent out... Maybe second thoughts for migrants.
    Then Friday evening we call the broker and tell her we are ok to move even with men, she says will get back
    Then comes Saturday and then Sunday
    In the meantime we are looking up gumtree, applying for jobs all with that damn slow IC(internet connection) Still no response. :( Finally we got a number from gumtree and decide to give a ring (its a share acc) ah the place is still available its in the other side of town. We cant go to check the place, but we decided to move Monday.
    Monday (thankfully) we move out. Lesson learnt : Get a good IC.
    Heres a NI(North Indian) couple with 2 kids happily sub-letting their place.OK, and honestly its shocking... We are not used to live in sharing are we? We have a small happy room to ourselves, not as we'd like but alright!
    Lesson learnt: Live with what you got, not what you want. Then again the same wifi story, order Dodo, then cancel it etc etc and then try wired connection. Finally... Something!!!
    And yes, we were even suprised with the prices..
    A trip to the city could cost you as much as 4AUD
    A dozen eggs could cost some 4.50(approx)
    I was running through calculations in my mind (Do I really need it???)
    Please dont get me wrong... I did this initially at least the first 10days.. Will we be able to manage? You have to pay your rent regardless, food comes second :D. INR to AUD is a small amount reduces the lakhs to a few thousands. Hmmmm.
    Then the thought settled in, the situation will change and this is not forever. We had our arguments and doubted our decisions and questioned our priorities during our stay there.
    Now to you readers out there:
    1.Always have a plan B
    2.Get a good IC. Internet is expensive but invest in it, worth it and 95% work is done with it
    3.Sharing accomodation is not easy, but you'll get used to it, and good way to get contacts
    4.Personal Transportation is a plus plus. Invest in a small (cheap) car at the earliest esp if you have kids. (I still didnt do it and I'll explain why)
    5.If your job is on the skill list, doesnt mean they platter up the job for you (nah, not easy!)You still may need to get local experience while hunting for a job in your field. Then there are some mighty lucky ones who nail it in as good as a weeks time.
    6.Be open to any job in the beginning, does good for you morally and financially and most of all keeps your head occupied.
    7.Encourage one another instead of accusing and blaming for the bad
    8.Talk a lot to the other person/ spouse/friend/partner whoever, Australia is a very calm place :)
    9.People are very friendly and I stress on the very.They're courteous and very approachable so dont worry if you're seeking help around.
    10.PM me if you need anything specific
    11.Getting work done is easy , its a clear straight route, even at Govt offices.

People have told Immigration is not easy, but we really need to experience to know what other fellow migrants go through.

**DISCLAIMER: All of the above are personal and is pretty much my opinion and I believe I am entitled to it.My post does not denote any sort of vehemence to any person or anything related to thereof.****

I strongly hope my pointers would help in the reader become stronger in being prepared for the unexpected, or was it just me? (Rolling eyes)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    meghavarun and pavitra like this.
  8. abs2911

abs2911 Bronze IL'ite

Thank You for your efforts Shareon. I am sure it will help us.

Kind Regards

Abida

9. lazydesi

lazydesi Senior IL'ite

Not on King William Street, it's on Currie Street

10. lazydesi

lazydesi Senior IL'ite

Then again the same wifi story, order Dodo, then cancel it etc etc and then try wired connection. Finally... Something!!! -----Get Kogan Mobile - 30$ unlimited ph calls& texts with 6gb Data on telstra network (the best in Aus).

A trip to the city could cost you as much as 4AUD -- try to get metro card, then trip costs 3.10 during peak and 1.80 during off peak (9am-3pm)

A dozen eggs could cost some 4.50(approx) - $2 from BP On the Run petrol stations or $3 from supermarkets

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013