1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

ESL (english as second language)

Discussion in 'Indians in Bay Area' started by happywoman, Mar 23, 2008.

1. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

hi everyone,

As my daughter will be going to fifth grade this september 08 after moving to california from India. I heard about esL that a child has to take some special classes in this. Can anyone share their ideas. Will there be any test to assess the skills first and then the child sent to the class based on the score or by default evryone has to take them,

pls share your views as this will enable me to prepare my child for future,
    hw

2. chinmunni

chinmunni New IL'ite

hi all,

Why no replies?? Pls anyone help me out here

3. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

I dont know if this would help ypu...any how let me share what I know...

I have heard of ESL testing in PreK levels...where the admission is based on the child's english knowledge (which is one of the 3 criteria)and of course they test her before admitting her.

May be you would get info from other ILites...........

4. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    ESL is an acceleration program for the students whose primary language is not English. The school will insist the students (whose basic education was not done in U.S.A) to take the ESL program. However, the school administration will give the students some kind of tests to assess the kid's English skills. If the school thinks that the kid's English is good, they will ask the the parents if they want their kid to be in ESL. If the parents are also ok with the results, the school will remove her/his name from ESL program. But they will be constantly watching the kid's grades (scores) for one year.

HTH

5. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

hi,

Thanks to everyone who replied here. Does my kid need any preparation like reading good books, grammar etc
    Let me know if someone is aware of.

6. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I moved to USA with my 10 yr. old, who got into Gr. 6, and he did not have to take any test or join ESL. However, the difference could be, he was schooling in South Africa, before coming here.

However, I don't think u need to worry abt. the testing too, since it is very basic. And whether the child will go to ESL or not varies from school to school, and depends on the mind frame of the principal mostly.