1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dirty brown color

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anitap, Jan 22, 2013.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Thats a fantastic piece AnitaP. Very glad to see that you both are constructive and helped your child to tackle this in the easier and more practical way till you were left with no option. Liked the way you mentioned about children mentality. Yes. It feels divine. Also, was so happy to read about your child's innocence as well. Thanks for sharing.

What is the colour that one can
    Associate to happiness here?
    Or what is the difference that one may
    Spot out in the colour of tears?

There is nothing superior at all
    In the colour of skin, origin et al.
    What is so common is that all
    Of us are one species. Thats all.

At least the world of children will
    Embrace all with only love.
    Lets see to it that we sure will
    Ensure that they are happy now.

Let our next generation be void
    Of all these flaws that exist now.
    We need to act too, but not avoid
    Telling about this to our kids now.

3 people like this.
  2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anita,

Your daughter is smarter than u and hubby. She knows 1 is better than 2, and that yr phone is 1 and papa phone is 2.HAHAHAHAHAHA

She is a handful , i am sure she keeps u on yr toes. Ah what would life be without vchildren anita ! i have two daughters, and when they were in school, every day they wouyld bring tales of their teachers, what jokes they heard, what dresses their teachers wore etc. it was fun. i used to work from home, meaning i have a bungkiw, where ground floor is my residence, and first and second are my offices, so i used to have lunch with the kids, and hear them talk and then at the same lunch hour would come Tom and Jerry cartoons,on TV and u can imagine the fun to eat wath TJ and hear their stories.Those were the days.

Superb one this.

Regards

kamal

3 people like this.
  3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Anita,
    I think every teacher has to confront this in class at some time or the other. It has happened in mine and the cause was something so ordinary...it was black history month and the older siblings were learning more about their family stories. Sometimes children hear something about one another's identity and pick up on random things from tv or some song or their environment and use the words in a different context. The context becomes very important. Children are also quick to pick up on how to 'pick on one another' from other interactions. Explaining why something like that is inappropriate or hurtful along with teaching appropriate ways to problem solve usually helps kids stop it.

I think that is why one of the first themes in younger classes is 'about me'-a good way to start exploring differences in a matter of fact way.

Your reaction is very typical-your child was made fun of and it hurt you. My sister and BIL still get mad about what happened. Besides you recognized that the children made up and became friends. It will make you look deeper for the why and how the next time it happens.

Sometimes it is not that simple...there could have been more underlying the behavior and you were not to know that it would resolve easily.

One of the interesting facts about how kids grow confident is that denying and over compensating for society's perceptions are as detrimental as bullying for the very same trait. As your daughter grows older she should be aware that there are differences and that there is a level of inequality in how some people treat others-but it is not always the rule.

On a lighter note...I love to tell stories in class about growing up and one day one of my kids asked me..."hey Ms. XYZ, are all the people in your stories brown too?" I had to think for a minute...if the people were indeed brown. A couple of years later another kid asked my why I was so dark skinned. It was the end of the day and I gave her a random explanation (something about my mom and dad being brown) and she came back the next day..."you know, you really didn't tell me the whole story about why you are dark. Do you know you have something called melanin and it keeps you safe from the sun because you are from a hot country?" Since then I have my essay ready-never know when a mouthy 4 year old is going to question my scientific knowledge.

On second thoughts, that is actually a good way to explain to your daughter about her color...then she can start advocating for herself as , "yes, this is who I am and this is why..."

6 people like this.
  4. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful narration !

Beautiful thoughts.

So sweet of her.

Before 2-3 weeks,i was motivating my daughter to put on her shoes n remove them on her own,and to eat on her own...something which she never used to do.I told her if she is not a big girl now and miraculously she started to obey in these things.Last week she was trying to wear her jacket inside out and when i tried to turn it she started to cry and said no she wants to wear it like that only.Thankfully we were not going out so i let her wear however she wanted.Now again before few days i caught her trying to climb on the table to switch on/off the lights.At once i shouted on her and told her strictly not to do this again and in a clearly irritated voice and amidst crying she said,'Mama,did not you told me that day that i am a big girl now and i should try on my own....and i was like......yes....but......:notthatway:

1 person likes this.
  5. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Divya :)

6. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Well said..... Love these lines.

Like you said, kids are super cute.... When Anna was being forced by the teacher to apologize to dd, she was blinking as the poor thing did not understand what the big fuss was about.

And the really cute thing was they both (anna and dd) were holding hands at that time..... Probably being surrounded by so many adults scared them :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

That is very true kamalji. :)

Wow.... That is wonderful kamalji..... I am sure they still remember those golden days. Good memories.

8. suby

suby Silver IL'ite

Dear Anita,

Nice post. would like to meet your cute dd.

-suby

1 person likes this.
  9. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

That is very true... The teacher confided with me the next day that Anna was acting up because her parents were splitting and conditions at home was turbulent. I felt very sorry for that kid.

So the teacher mentioned that she spent most of her days with her old grand parents in front of tv.

I agree.

You are correct. Actually one of her readers was about this.

Agreed 100%.

I do not believe in overly sheltering children from society and it's perceptions.
    They are of this world. They should be taught the necessary skills to survive in this world.

And yes.... Injustice exists and they have to know reality and also know how to deal with a practical approach.

Neither do I believe in throwing them into the rough waters before they are ready for it.

Melanin was one of the things I mentioned to her along with how we fit into God's rainbow. (rainbow being the very first thing she draws every single time she is asked to draw something)

Melanin story did not exactly go very well at that point of time........ According to her, now the villain had a name.... Melanin powder (pigment being a big word for her). So she was not in a mood to talk about any of the benefits of having that bad powder in her skin. :)

Will definitely talk to her about this.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write ...... Very useful as usual.

I wanted to raise this issue (even though it happened one year back) because kids get bullied almost everyday if not for skin color, for something else.... So wanted to learn how to deal with this now that I have to allow her to step into a world where I cannot accompany her always.

2 people like this.
  10. DDC

DDC Silver IL'ite

Anita,
    Awesome. Loved your maturity, thoughts & patience.

Loved this part so much, enjoy her innocence while you can:

She: sarcastic..... Mmmmmmuuuummmmmmmyyyyy
    She: we have two phones. So daddy's phone number is "1" and yours is "2". I know to count mommy..... Your are so silly mommy...[​IMG]

:kiss to your LO.

1 person likes this.