Why do they ask such interview questions? How to answer the?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by soumyapr, Dec 27, 2012.

1. soumyapr

soumyapr Senior IL'ite

Most of the time interview questions are repetitive and its hard to come up with something really genuine.
    How would you answers these questions:
    What is your greatest strength?
    What is your greatest weakness?
    Most people will tell you that don't be honest, instead present a weakness that can be turned into a strength.
    I don't agree to that, I would rather be honest. In my last interview I said that my biggest weakness was that I am a compulsive shopper, I buy stuff like crazy. Of course I didn't get the job, perhaps they didn't like that I actually told my real weakness tsk

Another irritating question is:
    Why do you think that you fit for this job? Witsend
    Give me a break please! I have the degree that the job description asked for, I have some related experience. So I assumed that I do fit for this job and traveled all the way to attend the interview and now they want me to give an explanation!

Why do they ask these kind of questions and what is the best way to deal with it?
    If I am honest I don't get the job, If I sugar coat an answer they accuse me of giving bookish replies. What is an interviewee to do?

Have you faced similar questions that have irritated you to your wits end? Please share.

1 person likes this.

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

i hate when they used to ask'tell us about yourself"..............they would be hardly listening.........and there is always confusion to tell about your education,experience or general overall.......

3. Rodrigues

Rodrigues Bronze IL'ite

hi soumyapr

I know how it feels.Had few such experiences in interviews, Sometimes I feels even the interviewers dnt come prepared to take interviews and end up asking stupid question.guess they should upgrade their interviewing skills.

seriously that question you mentioned about,"how you are a better fit for that position"? is lame.That is left for them to figure out. But what they actually mean is may be,"I still dnt find some great reason to hire you,tell me more".

weakness and strength?
    hahha,u think they really wanna know your weakness? all the answers we give to their questions,answers only 1 question " wats in it for me??? how do you fit in??"

I gave it a little thought, and figure out,that my weakness is that,I pay alot attention to details..checking,rechecking.!!!!- thats my weakness when comes to work. n that takes some time of your actual work.

Some interviewers are good and the rest are bad,they cant appreciate your worth..so keep going.

All the best!

1 person likes this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

If they accuse you of giving a bookish answer, do tell them that there have been so many books written on this subject that even my original answer was plagiarized before even I thought it up !!!

Yeah, I get your rant !!! But what are they to do?? For a single job, they interview about 50 "well-qualified" persons, so they have to see something differentiating you from the others, if they have to take you in :)

5. Deepu04

Deepu04 IL Hall of Fame

All these questions were asked to judge attitude.. :)

3 people like this.
  6. cuppcake

cuppcake Gold IL'ite

A lot about how we think is revealed in these cliched and stupid questions. And they say bookish answers because they want to provoke you and push you to a corner to see how you take it.

7. soumyapr

soumyapr Senior IL'ite

Hmm I get it that these questions, and the answers to them give away a lot about the interviewee. The interviewers are more like psychologists, reading our mind and behavior.
    However, it becomes very difficult to keep your cool at some point. What should be the interviewee's attitude before approaching these interviews, being fully aware that some very confusing and irritating questions will be thrown at her/him?

An yes, there's one more. This one was when I told them my expected CTC:
    What makes you think you are worth that much? :rant
    Then why are you asking me, I wanted to say? Did he expect that I will say I am happy to work for peanuts!

8. cuppcake

cuppcake Gold IL'ite

When they are asking you if youre worth that much they are asking you about how you can contribute to the company in your best possible potential. Eg. if you're paying someone to coach ur kid in studies and they're asking for a fees that you feel is higher than youre willing to pay, you will ask them why and would genuinely like to know that will they be giving you something extra for that extra money?

Not all questions are necessarily asked to tick you off ( though some def are). It's difficult to keep your cool yes, but that's how you're gonna show to them that you can be cool if things go wrong for you. They have nothing personal against you and I'm not saying all their questions are superbright, but that's the judging criteria they have set for you. And that's the criteria you have to accept and go along with and prepare yourself accordingly. "Do what it takes".

I'd suggest write down the best possible answers you can think of for all the anticipated questions in a word file. Then edit them as u see fit after taking a few inputs and pondering over them and re-reading them.There were will always be a few unanticipated questions that will stump you, be ready for them mentally and give the best possible, dignified and honest answer you can think of. ( i don't mean brutally honest, as in facts should be correct and can be told in a polite way).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    3 people like this.
  9. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hi soumyapr,

Just to help you out, we are offering short features on these topics:

Your Job Interview, How to Make It A Success, Part 1
    Your Job Interview, How to Make It a Success: Part 2, Preparation And Success

Hope you like these.

Thanks.

Moumita

10. anjalianjali

anjalianjali Junior IL'ite

These questions can be difficult to answer if you are not prepared for them. It is hard to come up with answers on the spot. The best thing to do is go online and look up a set of interview questions that are commonly asked and prepare answers for them. These questions are asked a lot. I did 20 interviews last year and most of these questions came up in almost every one.
    Other questions I got asked were:
    - Tell me an example of how you took on a leadership position
    - Give me an example of how you handled conflict
    - How do you handle criticism.

When asked about why you are a good fit for the job, they are looking to see if you have researched the position and the comany. It is an opening to sell yourself and show enthusiasm while doing it.

Just go into it with a positive attitude and you will do great.