Pls advise

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by saraswathilives, Dec 26, 2012.

1. saraswathilives

saraswathilives Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I work for a top MNC bank in Chennai. I have a very good friends circle at work and work is not so very tedious though it gets stressful at times. I travel abt 45 min one way to work. My DH is a sailor and at home for 6 months a year. We don’t have a kid right now but planning for one in near future. Me, DH and MIL live together.

The issue is currently me and DH are thinking of sailing together. I need to resign my job for that. Is it a wise decision ? I just can’t figure out anything. I cannot join my DH every time and I just can’t see myself at home without a job. What do I do ?? BTW Im 31 now. I have been working for around 10 years now and have got decent savings. Im also thinking of taking a break for 1 year and join back work again. Bur surely I will miss my friends and job. We have a cook at home. But if I resign I may need to take up the cooking which I don’t like. Pls advise me.

2. cuppcake

cuppcake Gold IL'ite

Dear Saraswathi

Whether you should resign from the job or not is the main issue here. If it's the kind of job that u can easily take up again after a long break, then go for it. Spend some together time with your husband, since u have a decent amount of savings like you said. Relationships are as important as our careers.

But this break should be a real break for your enjoyment and comforts, not to take up new ( or permanent) responsibilities. Why should you have to cook again if you don't like it. You can find a mid way and cook occassionally (with help from the cook) or you and your husband can cook together when you are both free.

If you are apprehensive about leaving the job, then take a shorter break, say one/two months (if possible in your job) and join back at work after that. You can sail with him for a part of a period and come back on your own.

3. chitii

chitii Bronze IL'ite

Try for long leave min 6 months and max 1 year. In that case you will be back to work. It is the right time for planning child also by considering your age, So better to sail with your husband. cooking is small thing if you don't like it tell your husband to help in this.

4. soumyapr

soumyapr Senior IL'ite

Since you have worked for a long time, you may or may not like staying at home.
    Therefore, do not to quit, rather go on a sabbatical if your bank has a provision for it. This way you can take a break and be with your husband, and experience what it is like when you are not working.
    Don't decide on not working at all right now, just take a short break and see how it works out for you. You are still too young to retire!

As for cooking, do you need to remove the cook if you quit? You can have the cook and prepare something special once in a while yourself.