1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby throwing up only formula milk and baby yogurt breakfast

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by DiamondDreams, Nov 20, 2012.

1. DiamondDreams

DiamondDreams New IL'ite

Hi,
    My baby is 7 months old this week. He had formula milk in his early weeks and he was fine. After that he was on exclusive breast feeding. As I have started working we are introducing formula milk to keep it as back up. Every time we give him formula milk he throws up after an hour. He was sleeping when he throws up. We thought it could be reflux and if tried with cereal he may not throw up. so we gave him this baby breakfast which had yogurt in it but again he threw up.

My concern is:

1. Looks like intolerance to milk. Will it go away after a few months? I am concerned he will grow up with out drinking milk. Did anyone else had this issue and did it go away?
    2. how else can i substitute milk's nutrition?

Can someone please help?:bowdown

2. sumasandeep

sumasandeep Silver IL'ite

Intolerance to milk among Infants is very least common ( 2 - 3%) Don't decide on that.
    If you decide just reconfirm with the doctor.
    After giving him formula or yogurt immediately don't put him to sleep.
    Give minimum 3 hours interval between each feed.
    Give him little quantity at a time say 3 / 4 ounces then after 10 or 15 min give 3 / 4 more
    Make him burp each time you feed him
    Don't feed yogurt & formula one after the other. Give him time to digest
    Or try other brand formula

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@diamonddreams

I faced a similar situation. I had given 1-2 bottles formula (milk based) when DD was few days old. After that I was EBF. When I gave the same formula when DD was 6 months old, she got rashes. I also gave home made yogurt when DD was 6.5 months old. DD got rashes/boils/face swelled up. I confirmed it was milk intolerance.

1. Milk intolerance in most cases goes away between the ages of 2-4 years. Praying to God that it happens the same to DD. i felt food allergies are side effects of vaccines.
    2. You can substitute milk nutrition with soy yogurt, soy milk, almond milk etc. Initially it will seem overwhelming but once you confirm it you will get used to it.

But please confirm if it is really milk intolerance. Try out what @sumanasandeep has also said.

4. sumasandeep

It also happens when you switch babies from EBF to formula
    So give baby little more time to adjust or try half BM & half formula initially
    Later switch to complete formula.

If you see other symptoms like Ramya Said and also hives, wheezing , loose stools then it would definitely be milk intolerance . Just check with doc for milk allergy test. Are anyone in your family has any food allergy? That also counts in some cases.

5. DiamondDreams

DiamondDreams New IL'ite

Thanks Sumasandeep and Ramyaramani. I tried mixing 90ml BM with 10ml formula and my little one does not like it. I am thinking of giving him a teaspoon of formula and see if he is ok with it and does not throw up.

He does not have any skin reactions, it is only throwing up and he gets tired after that. None of us in the family has any allergies except my sister in law has allergy to certain type of fishes.

6. sumasandeep

So how is it going now?

7. DiamondDreams

DiamondDreams New IL'ite

Looks like he has some intolerance to cows milk - not sure if it is lactulose or milk protein. We have stopped giving him now and will try again in a couple of months. Will keep you all posted on how that goes. Thanks for following up.