Homes for the Aged?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by satchitananda, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Satchi,

trust you are keeping well! It seems like all these people want to provide with a lot of "if" clauses attached - they want to have the cake and eat it too! It sounds like the "preexisting conditions" attached with most insurances. Looks like all the middle aged people should start paying a premium for old age homes when they are well so that they will be taken in with all the conditions when the time comes. While the old age home is a relatively new concept, they are yet to understand that old age does not come free and easy - there are different options here in the US based on needs. Perhaps it will come along in India too. But I know your issue is right now, I sincerely hope that you will find some care for your mom with lesser heart achething like that - if there is some! Best wishes Satchi. Take care.

1 person likes this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot dear. I can only take hope in that and hope that the sun rises very soon. We could really do with all the prayers that are sent up for us. Thanks once again dear. :-D

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Dear Shanvy,

4. DDC

DDC Silver IL'ite

Satchi,
    Hugs & prayers for you & your mom. Stay Strong.

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Aspire, as the situation stands now, my mom is just about getting out of bed and managing to walk with support. We could get a nursing help from so called professional centres. But unfortunately it does not work for the following reasons:

The most home nursing providers provide personnel who are not necessarily very professional in their approach. This we learned to our cost out of practical experience. My mil got help from one such very reputed organization to look after her mother (93 years old) at home. The lady used to turn up late, then say she had not had time to have breakfast, sit down to eat, then hang around the kitchen when mil was cooking, expect the maid to help her out with grandmil, leave early half the number of days for some "urgent" work or the other, did not turn up on 3 occasions and although the organization was supposed to send an alternative nurse, they did not. What happens in such an event? My mil could not handle the situation any longer and had to eventually move her mother to an OAH.

What happens if I employ a nurse and am faced with a similar situation? I am in no physical situation to move my mother, help her to the rest room etc.

Unfortunately domestic help of any kind in India are most unreliable. In fact if it had not been for the unreliability of domestic help, my mom would not have been in this situation in the first place, today.

6. satchitananda

Thanks for the prayers Vijma. Seriously if one was healthy after sixty, who would go to these people and where would their business be?

7. satchitananda

Thanks Anita. I can only hope that things are more organized by the time we go to such homes.

8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi
    Old age homes in India are not nearly where they should be. I have been to a few and what I have seen there I wish upon no one. I wish I had an answer for you but I have none. Hugs and hope you can stay strong .

1 person likes this.
  9. satchitananda

Hi Sabitha, I guess in the US when one pays a lot of money one is at least assured of some quality of care. Here leave alone quality of care, one cannot even find takers for that money, if one needs anything called care. There will be plenty of them queuing up at the door if they sense you are willing to part with it and are fit enough not to really need the care.

10. satchitananda

Thanks DDC. (BTW, I love your signature line :) )