Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 4)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Sep 14, 2010.

1. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

2. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithramma,
    Made Thinai upma & fried gram chutney on tuesday. Upma came out very well. This chutney is the jiffiest of chutneys. Even Dh had the upma & was ok with it. I thought the kids might need a more interesting avatar to get used to thinai and you have posted a recipe of Tikki! Thank you.
    Yesterday for evening snack madi Bajji, DD's request for the stormy weather! She & her friend loved it.
    Love,
    Damini.

3. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chithra maami, Today afternoon i have done with all powders - sambhar, rasam and currymapodi. Each i got around 250 grams and i am so happy that i have made it on my own. Usually my mom or my mother in law used to give me but this time i am planning to give them in the next batch. :)
    I have doubts -
    1. i have kept those powders in the fridge - is it necessary? 2. Do we need to preserve the wheat flour (readymade atta) in the fridge? as i have bought a 5 kg pack i am worried whether this can be keep outside for daily use?

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Bhucat, your dosai looks crisp and tempting:)
    Way to go :tongue

5. Chitvish

Dear Bhu,
    nice to see your enthusiasm. Yes, surprise the elders by giving them samples of your powders. They will be so proud of you.
    No need to refrigerate. Keep in an airtight box - amukki amukki vaikkanum, not loose.
    I too buy 5kg organic atta and keep it outside. But keep out 1kg taken at a time for daily use. Stock the rest airtight.

1 person likes this.
  6. Chitvish

Thank god, i remembered not having replied you:)
    upma is perfected only by practice. Yes, i too love fried gram chutney. Bajji and rains - ideal combo:thumbsup

7. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Thanks maami for your idea...i will do the same.
    For my another doubt i got an answer too, i am happy. it was thinai and not varagu...

Today i went to my regular shop and asked for varagu, he asked me whether it is kezhvaragu? i said no no i want only varagu...for that he said he is not clear. so i came back and waited for your response. now i am happy. sorry to say i did not even see the thinai before, in what shape, colour etc. so can you pls tell me the quantity i should buy first (minimm) and also what is the best recipe for the beginner?

8. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Aunty just a suggestion, try the same with quinoa. It comes wonderful and crisp.

9. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Dear aunty,

Made pudina sadam (from Rice & Pulao varieties thread) for lunchbox with Quinoa. Everything same, except rice was substituted with quinoa. Just for garnishing I added some shredded coconut (gave one coconut cube a whirl in mixie). It smelled wonderful and tasted few tsps already, can't wait to have my lunch now.

Thank you so much for giving such a quick reference guide :)

Take care,
    Uma

10. Chitvish

1 person likes this.