R2I: What salary to expect in Chennai??

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by sweetshreya, Oct 11, 2012.

1. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

My DH is working as a Design Engineer in Ford in US for last 6 yrs. He is getting an offer to relocate in Chennai. How is the cost of living in Chennai? What approximate salary he should expect? He's not an IT guy, so I'm having difficulty in finding data about salaries, as everyone I know is in IT :confused2:

Moreover, in general, should we take the offer? What problems can we face? I've heard everyone is getting limited no. of gas cylinders? Petrol prices are sky-high. We have never been to Chennai, but I've heard that its climate can be hard to adjust to. Is it as bad as Mumbai?

I'll really appreciate some advice, suggestions, etc. :)

2. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

:)...Mumbai weather is pleasant compared to chennai. IMO, Food, culture, south indian classical music, temples, roads, traffic, are some of the good things in chennai. I would prefer other big cities in south/maharashtra/gujarat though.

3. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sister Shreya,

Welcome back to India,

Design Engineer in US for 6 years on relocated to India would be placed at not less than 18 - 24 Lakhs / annum which is really good withsome savings potential too. But it is just a vague thought because lifestyles differ.

Working in Ford you would be definately staying outskirts of Chennai to save time travelling, so Townships from big time developers give you the feel of US (though cannot equate) Gas and fuel are part and parcel of life, you dont have to seriously worry about that, beacuse there are always alternatives.

In case you need School Education, depends on the education which you will need, Best wishes.. BTW which part of India are you from...

4. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Chennai has 3 climates in an year.

Hot.
    Hotter.
    Hottest.

3 people like this.
  5. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    Yes, the humidity in Chennai is worse than in Mumbai...summers are much more intense because of this.

6. jive

jive Junior IL'ite

Chennai is awesome for schools, family lifestyle, less crime and beach. Weather is bad but you can cope with A/C and going out after 6ish outside. Salary around 6lakhs per person is what all my friends get these days. Coz of IT every other profession pays high now to manage the inflation. House prices are high now coz of urban migrants and other state migrants in IT, there are lots of power cuts (scheduled 2 hour now) and everyone use borewell for water. City is so costly so towards Tambaram etc is affordable these days. Congested and traffic yes, but not as bad as Bangalore (I have lived in both the places). Rent is around 17k-20k for a 3bhk in city.