1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The impossibility of English language:

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Megalife, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Pallavi,
    Long time....been well?
    You still like me yeah, that's cas you were one of those lucky ones who did not read my yesterday's thread. The consequential damages were one to many....vijibunny boycotted it, eindian was in a state of shock, our esteemed Kamla refrained from pressing the like button, vishwa ji emptied the jar of cloves to avoid puking ( mind you cloves are expensive in dollars), cheeniya sir try to reson out to others as to why I might have conjured this lame post and Kelly, well she is my buddy, she had to wrap it up for me for fear of being stoned!
    The rest fbs were varied degrees of polite rebuke ! My heart is sore.....you think I should write a sequel to it? The only solace was that kamalji super-duper loved it!
    Kidding gal......that was my way of saying a big hi to you after long.
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  2. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Vijibunny
    Meany thing you are , you refused to participate in that sinky situation.
    You are anointed of this great sin, just because you are my friend.
    Lol, mega

3. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hey Mega.....

Just to shoo off my loneliness....I keep my patio door open....and all the company I would have are the distant hills and songs of birds.....with an occasional 'patrol copter' or a speeding paramedic......:coffee

Today, for a change, there was a young girl, murmuring 'sweet-nothings' over phone with a bright,beaming face....in my adjacent apartment.......;-)

I enjoyed seeing her....her cheerful mood etc., and logged in here........

Bam........:drowning

I burst into a hilarious laughter when I was mid way.....and the girl stirred....and stared.....and went inside......:bonk

But, who cares......I continued my laughter for a few more seconds......:rotfl

Loved it buddy.......
    You're still naughty you know........of all the examples....why *****house..:spin[​IMG]...???

4 people like this.
  4. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Mega,

Sheepishly admit, I didn't have the nerve to click on the link clamoring for attention vociferously by appearing on the most recent posts! I was tempted, attracted but too scared at the end...:shaking:

Now when I read the gaping reactions and reviews consolidated by you and published after premier release, would I dare?

My slothful contribution to your well-researched article: English might be the most widespread language in the world but there’s still no ham in hamburger, no egg in eggplant and neither pine nor apple in pineapple - Anonymous

Adore your writing style! :)

4 people like this.
  5. DDC

DDC Silver IL'ite

Megalife,
    Spot on, "Anyways" seems to be so commonly used nowadays, that I have googled it to see if I never learnt its correct usage.
    Please add "Jean" as in "I'm wearing Jean" to the mix , sometimes I wonder "who's Jean???"

Heres a pic which I can only hope is a case of lost in translation: mountain-lion-warning.jpg

And as my daughter asks "how come one drives on a Parkway & parks in the Driveway??"":)

6 people like this.
  6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Eandian baby
    Thanks.......so did I rise up from the **** to the throne??? .......yesterday I almost died a martyr !
    Mega

7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Deepa
    Thanks you for your kind words.......We will soon have to choose which version of English to stick around with, japlish, chienlish, hindish, tamlish/malluish....etc. etc.
    Mega

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mega,

Blame it on the English, that's what made my comments to your stinky post sound so pert! I secretly admired you for how can a dainty woman be so analytic, descriptive and dwell (for it was quite a long blog!) on a bit of ...t!!
    But, it did turn out to be a popular post going by the number of views!!

As for English, I think reams have been said about this quaint language which most of us seem to love! I remember one instance when I used a totally wrong word which meant the opposite of what I wanted to say till our kind Srama quickly pm'd me alerting on the faux pas and saved me from a definite embarrassment!

Given your flowery language skills, you do make even a piece of ...t smell just like it, through the monitor!! Now, that was a compliment dear!:)

L, Kamla

3 people like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Mega,

When you got me post dinner with your post on ***t, you got me with your post about English when I was having my dinner. I could not control laughing when I read the lines "***** house" and Wholesale Children". Sometimes, it is pronunciation and other times it is use of words that conveys totally different meaning in English language. It is true many use "anyways". 'Effect" and "Affect" were misused by me many times in the past.

When we were drafting prospectus for a software company that we worked for, we used to write the content for the prospectus and the lawyers will convert it into eloquent English as they are the greatest wordsmiths. After they did all that exercise, when we were ready to go to the press, we read a rule from SEC that the prospectus should be written in simple English easy for an average investor to understand. Then, the prospectus was again modified to simplify the language.

English not being my mother tongue, I take a very lenient approach and convince myself that communication in English is only to express and not to impress. I keep reviewing my posts and responses to edit my English all the time thanks to IL policy, I have only 48 hours to do it. But in the interest of responding quickly and to express my thoughts effectively after I get them, I do write quickly and fix the language later. My English at best can be considered average. In this life, I am happy admiring sentences like "There is no sentence ending with because because, because is a conjunction". I am also happy admiring wonderful posts written by great writers in IL who are extremely proficient in English.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mega,

Now that was absolutely hilarious. Had never heard of "Engrish" before. As for the homonyms, I totally agree with you - they are impossible. "Anyways", I can never agree with that word and it gives me the creeps everytime I hear it.

English, what a language!!!!! "I am loving it". :rotfl

1 person likes this.