Schools in chennai

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by jothi, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Minerva

Minerva New IL'ite

As my daughter is due to write her 12th gr exam in March this year, some of my experience with schools may be of interest. I have not read all the threads on this link, so forgive me if i am repeating some info
    My daughter went to Bala Vidya Mandir from LKG to 12th gr, a very good school in general, this is a CBSE school in Adyar 4thmain road, the principal and teachers are all very approachable and nice. class strength is approx. 35 kids per class. no formal exams till 5th gr and no school uniform till 5th gr.... both these rules I found compatible to my way of thinking and relating to schooling
    Having said all this, let me also say that in general school education in the higher classes in India sucks! for cbse 10th and 12th both my husband and i were not too keen to get extra tuition for our daughter, but the peer pressure is so high that you end up feeling guilty..... that your child is missing out... the cbse syllabus while considered 'easier' than ICSE, is a nightmare.... I have NO idea, why children in the 12th grade need to study the subjects they are made to study...my schooling was way back in the 60s but i believe I had such a good foundation of basics of physics, chem, math and biology in school that even today, i can learn new concepts without any difficulty... however, today's kids are only taught to write answers which will fetch them marks, they have hardly, if any knowledge about what they are studying be it the quantitative subjects or soft subjects like social studies, history etc....
    for instance in the 12th grade, in my daughter's school nearly 75% of the kids i.e. 60 children, took extra tuition the monthly cost of which was an amount equal to the annual fees of the 12th grade ! I am not exaggerating...
    the school business in urban India is fast becoming a scam, with many people promising to teach your children to get 100%.... in every subject...
    I have never understood why every child needs to get 100% in every subject.... or even, how one can get 98% in English language or history for example?
    personally I am so releived that i have no more children intending to study in schools, and I feel sorry for all the young people who have..... i feel strongly that the Indian school system - all of them - cbse, ICSE, Matric, State board - all these have to change.the syllabus, method of teaching, evaluation the lot....... the change may come sooner if the new parents make an effort....
    I have friends who have young kids, who are seriously looking at options like home schooling for their kids.....
    i know many of you will think that now that i have no kids going to school, i can preach, but seriously, if i was a mother with a young school going child, i would think of serious options....

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Minerva,

You are lucky that your daughter has completed 12th and bala vidya mandir is a reputed school.

I have always been reiterating that education is becoming a lucrative business.

I have two points to point out here..

1. the education system has to be revamped.
    2. the parents wanting their child to get 100% , the pressure on the kids is so much.

Recently in an education symposium the new director of cbse has promised a better perspective. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

3. praveenavijay

praveenavijay Senior IL'ite

hi all,

I am new to this forum. I need to know which of the following school should be best for my criteria, the criterias are the student staff ration should be 25:1, Good enivronment, not concentrating only on studies, Should concentrate on G.K, Extra curricular and communication. I am staying in Neelankarai Chennai and i am working. The Schools i would prefer is,

1. St. John's English School, Besant Nagar,
    2. Pon Vidyasharamam, Injambakkam,
    3. DAV, Palikaranai,
    4. Kendriya Vidhyala,
    5. Vael's Bilabong (fee structure is high)
    6. Jeppiar School

Could you please help me out in this.

4. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

Pon Vidyashram has opened a new branch at Kolapakkam, which is about 3.5 km from Porur circle. The admissions are open for Pre KG to 3rd Std students.
    The address is
    Maxworth Nagar,
    Phase 2, Kolpakkam,
    Near VGN Blooming Gardens,
    Mugalivakkam.
    Chennai
    Those who are hunting for admissions can approach the school directly.
    All the best,
    Regards
    Teju

5. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

hi teju

wr did u got admission for ur kid

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

praveena,

3. dav pallikaranai has not yet come. it is only in the pipe line
    4. ruled out as they are more into academics only.

you have 1,2,5 ,6 to narrow down.

7. praveenavijay

praveenavijay Senior IL'ite

Thank you shanthi,
    I have choosen Pon vidyashramam and st.johns English school. Since my house is in neelangarai i have choosen that, in those schools which would be better. Vael's is very costly i guess, fee its self is 70k rite if grades increases fee will also increase isn't it. Can u please tell me whcih one is better

8. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

Dear Lalitha,
    I have put my kid in Pon Vidysharam, Valsaravakam.
    Have you enrolled your kid into Summer Mangoes? - teju

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Praveena ,

Sorry missed your post. You could go visit the school during the morning or evening time, when the parents come to drop the kids, get the feed back from the parents..That way you can choose between the two schools you have narrowed down.

I think someone in il, has their child in Jeppiar and they are happy. not sure about which thread, but I remember seeing that...just check out and ask their feed back..

all the best

10. hemakbabu

hemakbabu New IL'ite

Hi i am planing to get admission in Headstart Learning Centre for my daughter in 5th Grade. Can anyone please let me know how is the school?